HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:07 AM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Some people use hot glue.... and it seems some PNF's come having used that.
I have never tried it.

Silicone sealant is another good one, but slow to dry.

Thin double sided tape....
Thanks. Need to get some of that thin double stick tape thats the ticket.

Didnt have any so I used silicone in a couple of spots, its drying now. Should be fine.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,032 Posts
As per this build shows, I use mounting flanges and srews/bolts for every aircraft of 64mm fan or larger. It doesn't take long to mod them for that - usually just two plywood rails added to the foam. Then it is 100% secure, plus can be removed/re-installed with ease indefinitely.
Only my 50mm's don't have that method.... but they use nothing at all anyway (dont need it as they are always recessed in foam lips and clamped by the cover system).

Sometimes it is useful to coat the fan housing in vaseline - a thin smear - and run silicone beads on the foam, where useful, and insert the fan so it moulds to it and form a perfect snug 'holder' shape. And it won't stick to the fan due to teh vaseline.
This makes it all more rigid, yet dampened, so the housing has better support plus it decreases revereberations that can occur in some installations. (esp if a bit unbalanced)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,167 Posts
Vampire update

Im back again after a few weeks away busy working on my Guan Li A-10 Thunderbolt..Here are some pics of my Vampire painted in camo colours and waiting for decals and other stuff..God..HK do take time to deliver sometimes...Hope you still interested in my progress..I will post pic's of the A-10 in that forum.
agedflier is online now Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Looking good!
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,032 Posts
Going to be RAAF decals?? It looks like a camo scheme I might have seen on RAAF aircraft of the era.
I have been slack finishing line off, as I have been flying it to much! But hopefully I will do something within the fortnight.... once I practice using the airbrush with acrylics. I feels a bit of a daunting task, to do a good job of it....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
You'll do fine.... No doubt. The only challenge I see is the masking... To much tack may lift the underlying paint and the RAF logo with the multiple centered circles is always a challenge to mask off, do it wrong and it looks like a bad boob job!
Remember, if perfection is your goal, you will always be challenged! I expect to see the final results this weekend
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
On a side note... I see your using a thrust tube... How are you securing it inside the fan area? I'm using the one the gent posted on the Vamp thread (PDF) and it works good, just print and cut, but it's a tight bugger in the fan area and since its smaller diameter than the stock exit cone, how did you attach/secure yours? I never used one before?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,167 Posts
Thrust tube

It's not a full length thrust tube...just part of a plastic drink cup...The rim was left on and embedded into the foam and then stuck with foam safe cyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
On a side note... I see your using a thrust tube... How are you securing it inside the fan area? I'm using the one the gent posted on the Vamp thread (PDF) and it works good, just print and cut, but it's a tight bugger in the fan area and since its smaller diameter than the stock exit cone, how did you attach/secure yours? I never used one before?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,167 Posts
Camo colours

No Peter... It's base on the City of Glasgow No602Sq RAuxAF ,RNAS Abbotsinch 1954 Serial WA453..You may not notice too that the underside is bare metal..not the light Sea Grey. My research revealed that only aircraft of the RAuxAF we bare metal underside. I grew up not far from Abbotsinch..which is now the main airport for Glasgow taking over from Prestwick
I also remember seeing RCAF Sabres mothballed at the old Renfrew Airport My house in the flight path of many a DC-3 Dakotain the colours of(BEA) or Aer Lingus and a few Dragon Rapides

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Going to be RAAF decals?? It looks like a camo scheme I might have seen on RAAF aircraft of the era.
I have been slack finishing line off, as I have been flying it to much! But hopefully I will do something within the fortnight.... once I practice using the airbrush with acrylics. I feels a bit of a daunting task, to do a good job of it....
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,032 Posts
I happened to be at RAAF Pt Cook today, Microlight flying, and thought I better drop in to the RAAF Air Museum once again......

Somehow I had totally forgotten that they have a Vampire there! The twin seater version.
So I got TONS of pics of that....
Interesting were the FLAPS.... they do go down to 80deg or so!! Close the dead vertically down! At that angle they are not really 'flaps' anymore, but air brakes!! Which it also has a pair of weeny upwards moving airbrakes of course.
And it also sits VERY low to the ground.

It was fun checking over every rivet and detail! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:28 PM
Mallorca, Spain
Joined Dec 2009
35 Posts
Hk Vampire

Hi Guys,

Had a problem with mine the other day and hoping someone can help me out.

Using Spekturm DX8 trans, orange RX with satelite Rx.

Flying along just fine when all of a sudden no response from the flying surfaces but the fan unit kept on running.
Nothing i did to the transmitter made any difference.

Plane finally crashed and motor kept on running. Not nice!

Any ideas?
nicksc is offline Find More Posts by nicksc
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,032 Posts
First we would need to know what it does NOW.
ie: powered up it will work fine now? Or RX powers up but you can't control anything, or it does not power up (light?) at all. etc.

Your description suggests no RC operation at all. That might be the BEC failing (whether in the ESC or separate), or the RX failing.... or the RX having a brownout and never coming back online, or at least not in time. A brownout is when the RC/RX voltage drops too much and the RX shutsdown - it will restart if the voltage comes back up. but in many brands that can take many seconds = too late, the crash has already happened. The voltage drop (from the BEC) could just be an instaneous spike (down), or longer term, but the RX still shuts down and 'reboots' if voltage comes back - but the reboot taking time.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2013, 07:09 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Hey everyone, here are some pictures I took of my friend's new Vampire So far he loves it and it seems like a really impressive model!

I touched these pictures up in Lightroom and did some slight mods in Photoshop to make them look prettier
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old May 18, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8,788 Posts
Just back from Concorde Field. What a morning I had. Did the maiden on the Vampire. As it lifted off it veered left so I gave her some right aileron. Veered left more!.... Oh Crap. Reversed ailerons!!!!!!! panic mode set in. I climbed up to a high altitude and called for someone to reverse the aileron switch in my transmitter. Thankfully I was able to keep her flying while Chris did his thing with the radio and all was good.......................... so I thought. Got it trimmed out and did a circuit then as i did the fly-bye past the camera the motor quit and a puff of smoke came out the exhaust. Motor Fried! luckily these things glide really well so I was able to land her dead stick with no damage. Pulled the fan/motor out and the windings are burned. Bugga. So much for a new Dr Mad Thrust unit! I wont bother trying to get a warranty exchange with Hobby King. They make it to hard. But I wont buy another motor from then, I will ask Nitrocharged if he can rewind it for me. Other than that flew the Spitfire and Extra 260 without incident. Attached is an unedited vid and a couple of pics.

Cheers

Vanpire Maiden with reversed ailerons then flameout (2 min 17 sec)
Zootster is offline Find More Posts by Zootster
Last edited by Zootster; May 18, 2013 at 08:54 PM.