Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:33 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
154 Posts
Discussion
will changing model memory in flight end in tears?

I would copy the memory so I have two identical, then make changes to the second one. I'd like to swap from one to the other in mid flight. Will it end in tears? (5m scale sailplane). Futaba 9CAPs.
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,227 Posts
I dont have that TX but would think if you have some altitude you'll be alright.

I've accidentally done it with a DX6i and a EZ* (actually just selected the same model) and it did go dead stick until it loaded.

Try it up high
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,920 Posts
You're braver than I am...
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:35 PM
Toowoomba, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Joined Jan 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
I would copy the memory so I have two identical, then make changes to the second one. I'd like to swap from one to the other in mid flight. Will it end in tears? (5m scale sailplane). Futaba 9CAPs.
Probably much better to have a mate make the programming changes you want, while you're flying rather than swapping to a new model memory.

What's the changeover time? and I suppose your failsafe would be set to "hold"?
bjr_93tz is online now Find More Posts by bjr_93tz
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:49 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
personally I would do my experimentation using flight modes then copy changes that work to the second model memory.. Switching model memories in flight is basically letting your model go freeflight whilst you turnoff the signal to change memories.. it could be very expensive!!
Ian Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Thompson
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:51 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
I've changed model memories while on the ground, using a Futaba 6XAs and R148DF receiver, while electrical power was applied to the plane (preflight check showed surfaces going the wrong direction). I held the tail just in case the motor started up. Nothing bad happened - the servos just stayed where they were. I use FM which does not enable the failsafe freature (PCM does).

But also note that the transmitter / receiver combination has been rather forgiving of pilot mistakes. I've taken off a number of times with the antenna collapsed (not lately) and at about 150 feet from the transmitter, all the aircraft did was to vary motor speed; control surfaces were steady until I got the antenna fully extended.

However, I do not recommend that you change model memories while the aircraft is in the air.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Last edited by Al Offt; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:53 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
You're braver than I am...
+1. I wouldn't even think of doing it, but that's just me....
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
So you want to take your eyes off of your plane while it goes free flight while you mess with your transmitter for who knows how long? Who knows where your plane will be when you're finally ready to look for it again? I'm still not sure what you are trying accomplish. So you're gonna have two models set up identically, why bother changing between them inflight? It's not like you can change any programming in the inactive model while flying on the active one. Why not just set up two different conditions with the different programming done? If you need to make programming changes inflight, have a friend do it for you while you fly the plane.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:06 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
600 Posts
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,421 Posts
With the possible exception of pointing the plane straight down at an occupied schoolyard before executing, I don't see how this plan could get any worse.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,555 Posts
If it's on 72 it will work. If you have a 2.4 module in it you won't be happy.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
With the possible exception of pointing the plane straight down at an occupied schoolyard before executing, I don't see how this plan could get any worse.

Tom
Just as the bus load of nuns pulls in.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
846 Posts
i'm thinking don't ; its tough enough going into sub trims in flight which i do on occasion but even that isn't a great idea.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:41 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Does your transmitter have "model match," where it won't connect to the receiver if the incorrect model is selected? Even if it doesn't, it seems like a really bad idea to me. There are so many things that can go wrong. It would be much safer to do this with flight modes or to swap model memories between flights while on the ground.

That being said, if you must try this, be sure to have a spotter or two with you that can keep track of your airplane and/or help you switch the transmitter over.

I'd say to be sure to shoot a video of the impending crash so you can share it with RC Groups, but I think it's much more likely that the crash will take place miles away somewhere, well out of visual range.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:40 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
608 Posts
I don't know, would driving with a paper bag over your head end in tears?
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet