HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Discussion
how do you cover a balsa planked fuselage with ultralite?

how do you cover a balsa planked fuselage with ultralite? The plane is an at6 and I am having problems with covering the bottom of the plane which as i know of is where you are supposed to start. The main problems are it wrinkles very badly due to the open wing saddle and the raised part of the air intake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
FlyBoysRc is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoysRc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ultralite covering. Is it a plastic material? When covering solid surfaces with plastic film, it's best to heat the covering and then stretch and pull it down on top of the surface. If you just go at it and iron it into place with pressure, you get wrinkles. I'm not quite sure what you mean about the open wing saddle and the raised air intake. The best advice I can offer is to go slow and bit by bit, and let the heat do the work.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:11 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Not sure what Ultralite is, but I've done a fair bit of covering with 'Litespan', an English made substitute for good old doped tissue, developed back in the latter part of the last century. It initially caused some ruffles when folk tried applying it to large areas of sheet balsa and the owner/developer of the company and material published a very comprehensive article on how to apply it to sheet areas.

Even if Ultralite is different, the technique may be applicable. I posted PDF copies of the magazine article at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1687907&page=2

in the builder's forum.

Idle thought. This sort of technique can be very critical of iron temperature settings, and covering iron setting dials are notoriously innacurate. I use a thermometer of the sort the racing car guys go in for measuring temperatures - you point the widget at the spot, press the button and it reads temperature without you having to touch the area. I think mine came from 'Radio Shack' - but one may be harder to find there now, as they tend more to being 'Telephone Shack' these days.

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
How do you cover the hob fw190 it is the exact same thing as the planked at6? Do you start from the center than pull on the covering outward? Also on your question about ultralite yes it is a plastic covering just like monocote
FlyBoysRc is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoysRc
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
It is difficult to heat and stretch iron-on covering materials smootly over objects like air intakes, etc. I usually paint things that are hard to cover. Wing tips and tail fins etc are not too difficult but do require practice, trial, error and redo until satisfied. Some coverings have easier shrinking/stratching properties.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:08 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
film covering

Is it necessary to use the film covering when there's much friendlier materials available, like silk, tissue, or silkspan (especially silk when compound curves are present).
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH