SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
What is a Good Lipo Charger?

Hey Guys, I did a quick search in the "Batteries and Chargers" section and didn't find what i was looking for. please link me or move this thread if it is redundant and in that case sorry!

Otherwise this is the issue -

I am still new to RC planes and am gathering a plethora of hardware among these are batteries! I'm up to about 6 batteries between my planes and radio all of which are Li-Po ranging from 7.4v to 6s. except one NiMH. I am looking for a charger than can charge multiple batteries and will work with this entire voltage range and battery types. If one doesn't exist then any advice regarding something close would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking for any recommendations or advice. Links would be especially appreciated as I'm going to be purchasing soon and am still learning a lot and would love to read up on any info I can get. Even the guys at the hobby store didn't seem to know a whole lot about this so I'm feeling as though i could make an easy / dangerous mistake.

Thanks, hope to hear back!
sykmethodz is offline Find More Posts by sykmethodz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:25 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
You don't mention your packs capacities.

I have always thought if you are charging 6S packs much over 2500mAH you are a candidate for a high output charger.
You will have enough power to charge several at a time quickly (3 - 5C).

There are only 2 high output chargers out there to look at.
Power Labs and iCharger.
Both require at least 24v DC power supplies.

You can use about any charger made but how much time do you want to spend charging batteries?

You can never have a charger that is too big but you sure can have a charger that is too small.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:33 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,810 Posts
FMA chargers
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...pro-Chargers_2

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
You said you want to charge multiple batteries. However the 4 port chargers are all pretty weak. You should read up on parallel charging and see if it meets your needs. If you are mostly charging the same cell counts you will be better off with a larger FMA PowerLab or iCharger.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:09 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
You said you want to charge multiple batteries. However the 4 port chargers are all pretty weak. You should read up on parallel charging and see if it meets your needs. If you are mostly charging the same cell counts you will be better off with a larger FMA PowerLab or iCharger.
Sorry i don't agree with this as i've seen a good 4 port charger that will put out 400W = 100w per channel,so forgive me that isn't that weak well not in my book and no doubt they will be getting stronger so to speak.

I've got a few charges and out of all of them i will say my FMA charges are the ones i go to most of the time,if i needed another one though i'd give one them 4 port charges a go,just saying.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Sorry i don't agree with this as i've seen a good 4 port charger that will put out 400W = 100w per channel,so forgive me that isn't that weak well not in my book and no doubt they will be getting stronger so to speak.

I've got a few charges and out of all of them i will say my FMA charges are the ones i go to most of the time,if i needed another one though i'd give one them 4 port charges a go,just saying.

It really depends what is being charged.
Either way a 4 port 100W charger is VERY limited.
It is only 2 times as strong as the little cheap 50W chargers.
Pretty worthless for charging a few of 6S 5000mAh packs.
Now if you use 180mAh packs, 100Watts in plenty.
The less time I spend charging batteries the better.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys! To make things really easy here are all the batteries I have... It would be nice to be able to charge many of them at the same time and obviously as quick as possible though i don't want to spend $300 on a battery charger. hoping to spend somwhere between
$100-200 if possible.

1x 4.8v 2000 mah NiMH (Radio)
1x 7.4v 1000 mah LiPo (Fat Sharks)
1x 18.5v 2200 mah LiPo (F-16 EDF)
3x 11.1v (860,910,1300 mah) LiPo (FPV tx/rx, bixler plane)
Maybe - 1x 6s though may just go with parallel 12v to powerG940 Joystick/Throttle/Rudder and not bother having to charge this one on the same charger.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
So I'm looking at this charger. but i don't know if it will work with all of my batteries. Not sure how the charging/discharging works on li-po's yet....

Anybody know if i can charge all these?
1x 4.8v 2000 mah NiMH (Radio)
1x 7.4v 1000 mah LiPo (Fat Sharks)
1x 18.5v 2200 mah LiPo (F-16 EDF)
3x 11.1v (860,910,1300 mah) LiPo

Also - would it be better to get a single charger for all my batteries and swap them or get a smaller cheaper charger for each so i can charge them all simultaneously?

Are there any chargers that can be plugged into a wall instead of a DC battery?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
That charger will meet all your needs.
It requires a PS to feed it with a minimum of 18V to get the 350WATTS out of it.
18V PS are expensive.
You may want to look at another option.
A 306B is $159.
It requires 24VDC.
PS to provide 24V can be very cheap.
Many guys buy surplus computer server PS, convert them and wire them in series.
These can be purchased ready to use also.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:50 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,273 Posts
Why not this one, it looks like it will be able to charge any pack you might encounter. Worth the extra money.

Specs:
Battery type:
Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Lithium Manganese
A123, NiCd, NiMH, 6v, 12v, 24v Lead Acid batteries
Pack capacity: 20mAh to 360000mAh

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Charger.html
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Would be nice to get a balance charger than can be powered on AC as well as DC battery. The biggest problem for me at this point is finding a charger that has all 4 standard charging connecters (don't know them all by name :/ ) I accidentally purchased the batteries and didn't know about the different connectors.
I don't mind paying a little more for a good charger!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
@TheWoodCrafter: Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazerB52 View Post
Why not this one, it looks like it will be able to charge any pack you might encounter. Worth the extra money.

Specs:
Battery type:
Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, Lithium Manganese
A123, NiCd, NiMH, 6v, 12v, 24v Lead Acid batteries
Pack capacity: 20mAh to 360000mAh

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Charger.html
@BlazerB52:
That does look like an awesome charger, I don't see support for Li-fe(not like i would know). Anyway, the problem for me here is $200 bucks for a single charger that only does 1 battery at a time seems a bit crazy. I've heard about charging in parallel but i don't any battery's with the same capacity right now.

I also found this guy - SUPER CHEAP and bought one for the short term. but am definitely going to purchase another stronger one along side it as soon as I find out which to get.

Honestly charging via a wall outlet is MUCH preferred over DC battery for me at this point in time. I don't intend on charging batteries at the field as they take sooo long to charge but this might change(still new)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:12 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Almost all chargers that have a built in PS (plug into the wall) are pretty low powered and are not cheap.
If you want to spend less time charging and more time flying one of those chargers will be a disappointment.

As for charging plugs, most guys cut off and change plugs or just buy a multi-head adapter.

On new batteries I change them out.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,972 Posts
Don't forget about Hyperion chargers. Their DUO 3 is a high-output charger that's got two chargers/balancers built into one unit. No fiddling with parallel adapters.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:56 PM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
726 Posts
I also have the Hyperion Super Duo 3 and it has been great. I have been looking at getting another charger and was really looking at the PowerLab 8 but i just have too many different planes and batteries to take advantage of parallel charging so I'm going with another Super Duo. Two 500w chargers in one box. The computer software works great too.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy