HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Discussion
FMS/Hobby King 40" (1000 mm) J-3 Cub - feedback?

I noticed that Hobby King and FMS (through Banana Hobby) have a 40" 4-channel J-3 Cub available. I have not been able to find much information about the quality and "fly ability" of this model plane on these forums. Is there a thread with more feedback on this plane here?

I am looking for a very easy to fly 4-ch plane in this size (40"-48" wingspan). Today I am flying the HZ Mini Super Cub (and doing fine with it after about 12 successful flights), but I am looking for a next step up to a plane with ailerons.

Is a high wing plane like this J-3 Cub a lot easier to fly than a low wing plane such as the full size PZ Trojan T-28? My son is flying our Trojan T-28 and he is doing well with it. I am not quite convinced I can make the jump from the MSC to the Trojan, and given the price of the FMS/HK mid-sized J-3 I am thinking about it as an "in-between step" from the MSC to the Trojan.

Is it useful to go to a high wing 4-ch plane like the J-3 Cub, instead of the PZ Trojan T-28?

Thanks for your insight and comments. RvE
RvE is offline Find More Posts by RvE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
My Feedback on the FMS 1100 J-3 Piper Cub - Kit and Assembly

Well, I never got any feedback on this plane, so now that I have the plane and successfully assembled and have flown it, I wish to share some feedback and tips on this fine model.

As far as I can tell, the FMS 1100 J-3 Cub is the same as the Yellow Hobby Kinig J-3, so these comments relate to either model. I bought my FMS J-3 Cub from Banana Hobby (BH), using their RC Groups Discount Codes and that makes it a great deal from BH. I did not have any problems with BH and they promptly processed my order, and their Customer Service was very good when I dealt with them regarding the new US Postal Service policy of NOT shipping Lipo battereis in the mail (I had to cancel my BH battery order since I was asking for shipping using USPS).

The FMS J-3 came safely packed in a double cardboard carton with lots of styrofoam (see pic). The assembly was very easy and took me around 3-4 hours, but I like to take my time and I am a slow builder. The instructions were typical FMS, so an beginner builder could assemble the plane, but set up instructions were light and only showed CofG dimension.

Since I fly from a grass field, I replaced the small J-3 Cub stock tires by removing them from the wheel rims (they easily pull off), and replaced them with 55mm Hobby King tires. I did this to maintain the look of the nice semi-scale stock yellow wheels. I removed the 55 mm tires from the HK wheels by carefully cutting away the plastic wheel rims and removing the glued on foam tires, and pushing them onto the J-3 cub wheels. I then glued on the 55mm tires to the J-3 wheel rims using epoxy glue. The pic shows the old stock smaller tires and the new HK 55 mm tires on the J-3 wheels.

The indoor pic shows the assembled plane with the new 55 mm wheels. lt is a very nice scale model with many nice details. Even as a newbie, I have been able to take off and land the plane on grass sports fields with these tires. The pilot figure does not quite match the level of accuracy or detail as the rest of the plane. He is a bit "toy-like" (he sorta looks like "Spock" from Star Trek), but I strongly feel that any pilot is much better than no pilot and having a model with an empty cockpit.

If anyone knows of light weight scale repalcement pilot for this plane, please let me know.

RvE
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:57 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Set Up Tips on the FMS 1100 J-3 Piper Cub

I did find the set up of this plane a bit more difficult than the assembly, and my maiden flight was very hairy since the CG was too far back, even though I tried to set it up according to the correct CG in the instruction manual (45mm behind wing leading edge).

I am using a 1300 mAHr battery and this may be heavier than typical, but this may be a blessing since the model seems to need some forward weight. The battery compartment is cramped for this size of battery since the ESC is in the battery compartment. With smaller batteries this might work, but when I tired to squeeze my 1300 mAHr pack in, it was pushed to the rear of the compartment, and this resulted in a tail heavy plane.

The simple solution was to pull the ESC all the way to the front of the plane so that the ESC is in the foam cavity in front of the battery compartment, and then the battery can be pushed fully to the front of the battery compartment, leaving a 1" gap behind the battery. I cut a piece of foam to place behind the battery to prevent it from sliding around.

In order to pull the ESC to the cavity in the nose of the plane, I had to carefully bend the wires as shown in the pic. Care is required to ensure the wires are NOT rubbing agianst the "bell' motor housing (since it spins). The ESC does get air flow in the cavity - perhaps not as much as if it were in the battery compartment, but is seems OK. I also changed the ESC battery connector to match my battery packs.

I am still a beginner RC pilot, so please double check my suggestions for your own model. This set up worked perfectly me for me and the plane is very easy to fly and seems to really like flying at 1/2 throttle for slow steady flights. 6 minutes of run time, at 1/2 throttle only uses around 600 mAhr!

Cheers RvE
Last edited by RvE; Sep 05, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:05 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Overall Feedback on the FMS J-3 Piper Cub: 4 of 5 Stars

Here are the good and not so good things that I have observed with this model:

Good Things:
+ easy flying plane that makes a great first aileron trainer
+ great price and great value for money
+ nice scale model with great details
+ nice size for easy transportation in a car
+ easy to assemble

Not So Good Things:
- wheels are small for grass fields
- weak cross brace on landing gear that breaks easily (I fly without the brace now)
- motor shaft is quite small and susceptible to bending (or breaking off)
- paint does rub off if handled excessivelly (maybe just my model)

In my opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons and I rate this model as a 4 out of 5stars.

I hope this helped those who are interesed in the nice scale J-3 Cub RC plane.

Regards RvE
Last edited by RvE; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Thank you for posting such detailed info...I have been looking for a smaller plane to fly in the front yard and cul-de-sac and this might just fit the bill.
hepcatz is offline Find More Posts by hepcatz
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Thanks a ton for posting. Nice thread.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvE View Post
Well, I never got any feedback on this plane, so now that I have the plane and successfully assembled and have flown it, I wish to share some feedback and tips on this fine model.

As far as I can tell, the FMS 1100 J-3 Cub is the same as the Yellow Hobby Kinig J-3, so these comments relate to either model. I bought my FMS J-3 Cub from Banana Hobby (BH), using their RC Groups Discount Codes and that makes it a great deal from BH. I did not have any problems with BH and they promptly processed my order, and their Customer Service was very good when I dealt with them regarding the new US Postal Service policy of NOT shipping Lipo battereis in the mail (I had to cancel my BH battery order since I was asking for shipping using USPS).

The FMS J-3 came safely packed in a double cardboard carton with lots of styrofoam (see pic). The assembly was very easy and took me around 3-4 hours, but I like to take my time and I am a slow builder. The instructions were typical FMS, so an beginner builder could assemble the plane, but set up instructions were light and only showed CofG dimension.

Since I fly from a grass field, I replaced the small J-3 Cub stock tires by removing them from the wheel rims (they easily pull off), and replaced them with 55mm Hobby King tires. I did this to maintain the look of the nice semi-scale stock yellow wheels. I removed the 55 mm tires from the HK wheels by carefully cutting away the plastic wheel rims and removing the glued on foam tires, and pushing them onto the J-3 cub wheels. I then glued on the 55mm tires to the J-3 wheel rims using epoxy glue. The pic shows the old stock smaller tires and the new HK 55 mm tires on the J-3 wheels.

The indoor pic shows the assembled plane with the new 55 mm wheels. lt is a very nice scale model with many nice details. Even as a newbie, I have been able to take off and land the plane on grass sports fields with these tires. The pilot figure does not quite match the level of accuracy or detail as the rest of the plane. He is a bit "toy-like" (he sorta looks like "Spock" from Star Trek), but I strongly feel that any pilot is much better than no pilot and having a model with an empty cockpit.

If anyone knows of light weight scale repalcement pilot for this plane, please let me know.

RvE
I have one of these also. I like your tire mod...I also fly off of grass. I had one landing that nosed the plane over. It seems like the shaft is slightly bent--but still flys fine. I was thinking about upgrading the motor, but I cant tell if this mounting system is something unique? I have not seen any others with that type of bolt pattern. My other negative is that the prop is a really strange size...something like 8.5 x 9. My LHS was really confused when I bought it in looking for something similar.......

For the money, it is a great plane.
arik434 is offline Find More Posts by arik434
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:35 AM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Arik434 -Hobby King stocks the replacement prop for this plane. It even says FMS on the prop. I ordered these props when I ordered my Turnigy batteries. I think the props were $1.50 each!

RvE
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies

Arik434 -Hobby King stocks the replacement prop for this plane. It even says FMS on the prop. I ordered these props when I ordered my Turnigy batteries. I think the props were $1.50 each!

RvE
Thanks for the info, I will check that out.

I flew this plane again today and like it more and more each time. I had a few of the larger gas engine guys ask where they could buy one because they were so impressed with how it flew. I did mange to break the landing gear off this time, but it is so easy to hand launch it didnt really matter. I cant get over how well this plane glides. It just seems to float forever....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Well, as I newbie, I had some bad flying on the weekend. I was not flying this plane as well as I felt I should be (maybe I am delusional...ha ha). Lots of over correcting on the sticks, and not flying my patterns as I wanted. At the end of my flight, I got her lined up on the approach, but was too high, and slowed down too much, and stalled her and dropped a wing tip that clipped the ground. The wing took a pretty solid hit, and cartwheeled the plane onto the ground.

The good new is the entire airframe and nose and undercarriage was undamaged! She is a pretty robust little plane. The bad news is the skinny motor prop shaft broke, so I need to replace the motor! I tried to remove the broken 3 mm threaded rod that is the prop shaft from the motor, but even after removing the set screws I could not remove it. If anyone knows if or how to remove the prop shaft from these kinds of motors, please let me know. See pic below of the motor.

I ordered a stock FMS replacement motor from Banana Hobby, as they are carrying some spares these days. Also, as a low cost experiment, I ordered the DST-1200 B/L Bell motor from Hobby King since it appears to be a direct replacement, based on the photo and dimensions. If it works, the HK DST-1200motor would be a great stock replacement part for this plane, since it is a $6.50 motor + $3 postage from the International Warehouse! Note - I always order from the Inernational warehouse, since the USA warehouse only seems to ship via UPS to Canada and small items cost $30 shipping!

I will report back on motor/spares and how the replacement goes so that others can reference this infromation.

RvE
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
396 Posts
Quote:
Well, as I newbie, I had some bad flying on the weekend. I was not flying this plane as well as I felt I should be (maybe I am delusional...ha ha). Lots of over correcting on the sticks, and not flying my patterns as I wanted. At the end of my flight, I got her lined up on the approach, but was too high, and slowed down too much, and stalled her and dropped a wing tip that clipped the ground. The wing took a pretty solid hit, and cartwheeled the plane onto the ground.

The good new is the entire airframe and nose and undercarriage was undamaged! She is a pretty robust little plane. The bad news is the skinny motor prop shaft broke, so I need to replace the motor! I tried to remove the broken 3 mm threaded rod that is the prop shaft from the motor, but even after removing the set screws I could not remove it. If anyone knows if or how to remove the prop shaft from these kinds of motors, please let me know. See pic below of the motor.

I ordered a stock FMS replacement motor from Banana Hobby, as they are carrying some spares these days. Also, as a low cost experiment, I ordered the DST-1200 B/L Bell motor from Hobby King since it appears to be a direct replacement, based on the photo and dimensions. If it works, the HK DST-1200motor would be a great stock replacement part for this plane, since it is a $6.50 motor + $3 postage from the International Warehouse! Note - I always order from the Inernational warehouse, since the USA warehouse only seems to ship via UPS to Canada and small items cost $30 shipping!

I will report back on motor/spares and how the replacement goes so that others can reference this infromation.

RvE
this is a very useful information. I've not maiden it yet because I was busy but from tomorrow I have some free days so I think I will try it and I'm afraid of ruining it! especially the weak motor shaft.

I would have put in a i86ap from HobbyKing but they are not on stock since a while and I don't want to remove it from my mini swift...if the cub will be still alive when I will have the i86ap I will give it a chance
matrixFLYER is online now Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
I messed up the landing badly. The plane nosed in pretty hard, so it will survive most mishaps. Go fly it. Ya just gotta get the stick time.

On my prior four flights, I had nice landings, and some without even as much as a nose over. On this day, I was at a smaller field with goal posts, so I messed me up and I came in above the posts, but was too high for the correct landing, and so it goes.

TIP - I find flying at around 1/2 throttle, the plane is the most "docile", and I reduced servo throws down to 60% to minimize "over control".

I am very keen to get back out there and make up for this mess up! Very anxious to get the replacement motor.

RvE
Last edited by RvE; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
396 Posts
Quote:
I messed up the landing badly. The plane nosed in pretty hard, so it will survive most mishaps. Go fly it. Ya just gotta get the stick time.

On my prior four flights, I had nice landings, and some without even as much as a nose over. On this day, I was at a smaller field with goal posts, so that sorta messed me up and I came in above the posts, but was too high for the correct landing, and so it goes.

TIP - I find flying at around 1/2 throttle, the plane is the most "docile", and I reduced servo throws down to 60% to minimize "over control".

I am very keen to get back out there and make up for this mess up! Very anxious to get the replacement motor.

RvE
how much time for new motor ? Can you share your radio settings? I was thinking of putting all at 70% aileron elevator and rudder! And 30 on expo
matrixFLYER is online now Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixFLYER View Post
how much time for new motor ? Can you share your radio settings? I was thinking of putting all at 70% aileron elevator and rudder! And 30 on expo
I fly mine at 100% on all controls. The ailerons are pretty small so it doesnt really roll quickly. After tonights flight, I am going to increase the throw on the elevator a bit. I was getting confident and doing some basic loops and inverted manuevers and got a bit nervous one time that it wasnt going to pull up in time! Luckily I was flying plenty high. You probably could take some rate out of the rudder if you really wanted to, but I dont use a lot of rudder flying, so it doesnt matter as much to me and I'd rather have the travel in the tail wheel for taxi'ing

Bummer about the prop shaft. I took my motor apart one time and could not get the shaft out either...but I did not want to force it too much. Let me know how the new motor works.

PS, this plane is awesome for hand launching. You really dont even need to throw it, it seems to leap out of your hands. The president of our club watched me launch this thing tonight and couldnt believe how well this little plane performed.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
RvE
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
The new motor was mailed from Hobby King in Hong Kong 1 day after ordered. I am not sure how long mailing will take to get to Canada. Usually it takes 10-14 days. Total cost $11 incl postage. Again, I am not 100% sure this is a direct replacement motor.
I am wating for the Banana Hobby shipment confirmation (its been 2 days so far). Cost is $20 Plus shipping for the FMS replacement motor.
Either way a damaged motor is not a huge issue for me since these are readily replaceable parts, at modest cost. I was expecting some minor "incidents" as I learn to fly better.

RvE