HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
I've been wracking my brain (well, not that hard, really) about the dihedral brace from a bent tube and some CF.
Just wondering, how about a small piece of CF spread across the top of the 2 wings about half way up from the main joint, going side to side. Sort of like a delta kite's dowel that holds it all together. Maybe anchor it with hot glue and some small nylon pads line the ones on the bottom of the elevator control horns.
This would be more drag and maybe be in the way more but it would offer strength in compression.

Or shouldn't I think so hard??
You could probably poke a hole in the keel just underneath the wing joint and put a rod through it with the ends taped/glued/attached to the underside of the wings . I think Nightstone has done it that way for one of his SE's .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBasher View Post
Subscribed.

I'm thinking about building a SE for my 6 year old and I to have fun with together. Looks like a great father/son project. I think he'll really appreciate seeing something fly that he and daddy built more so than the Champ we fly together.

Making a shopping list now. THANKS Balsa or Carbon.
Hi BamaBasher ,

You're right , it's very satisfying to build something and then it actually flies ! If you build one , let me know if you have any questions - I'll be glad to help !

Al
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
You could probably poke a hole in the keel just underneath the wing joint and put a rod through it with the ends taped/glued/attached to the underside of the wings . I think Nightstone has done it that way for one of his SE's .
A metal rod or CF? I didn't know CF would bend.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
A metal rod or CF? I didn't know CF would bend.
Yes , CF will bend . The smaller the diameter the more it will bend . Rod bends more than tube , flat strip bends more than rod .
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Another thought......would it make any difference if the motor was a pusher or tractor??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Another thought......would it make any difference if the motor was a pusher or tractor??
On the SUPER EASY , it's easier to get the CG where it needs to be if the motor is mounted in FRONT of the prop slot , and set up as a pusher . Just make sure your prop is on the motor correctly ( letters and numbers facing the FRONT of the plane ) or you won't get the thrust you need . And then make sure the motor spins in the right direction . If you need to reverse motor direction , simply switch any two of the three wires going from the ESC to the motor .

Al
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
On the SUPER EASY , it's easier to get the CG where it needs to be if the motor is mounted in FRONT of the prop slot , and set up as a pusher . Just make sure your prop is on the motor correctly ( letters and numbers facing the FRONT of the plane ) or you won't get the thrust you need . And then make sure the motor spins in the right direction . If you need to reverse motor direction , simply switch any two of the three wires going from the ESC to the motor .

Al
Good thought....I forgot about the CG.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Elevons?

Would this build work with using the elevators surfaces as elevons and leaving out the rudder completely?

With some dihedral built into the wings, it may be even be a good elevon trainer. Comments?
vijay24 is offline Find More Posts by vijay24
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay24 View Post
Would this build work with using the elevators surfaces as elevons and leaving out the rudder completely?

With some dihedral built into the wings, it may be even be a good elevon trainer. Comments?
Nightstone ( and others ) have built the SE with elevons . I don't know if anybody has left off the rudder , but I imagine it would fly OK just bank and yank . I'm pretty sure you'd have to make the elevons a lot bigger than the current 6" elevators .

Why don't you try it and let us know how it works - if rudder is needed you can always add it .
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Yes. I cut 'metal' for a 2/3 scale plane last night. Am waiting for the motor and ESC to come in.
Will report back on how it works once I am able to put it together and fly.
vijay24 is offline Find More Posts by vijay24
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay24 View Post
Yes. I cut 'metal' for a 2/3 scale plane last night. Am waiting for the motor and ESC to come in.
Will report back on how it works once I am able to put it together and fly.
Excellent ! If possible , show us photos/video when you're done .

Al
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Quote:

And then make sure the motor spins in the right direction . If you need to reverse motor direction , simply switch any two of the three wires going from the ESC to the motor .

Al
Now WHO would be such a doofus as to try to fly a plane with the motor running backwards ???
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2011
152 Posts
Main fuse height for 50% version

The size for 100% version is 10" and at mid point where the slot is cut is 5 and so you should be able to make a 3.5" slot without much problem.

For the 50% version, it would be 5" at the rudder end and at prop slot it would be only 2.5".....

How are you able to make a 3.5 in slot for 6x4 prop ?

I am facing similar issue with 2/3 version.... It is 6.66" at rudder end and only 3.3 at prop slot and I need to make a 3.5 inch slot... I think this spot is going to be the weakest part of the plane...
radhav is offline Find More Posts by radhav
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhav View Post
The size for 100% version is 10" and at mid point where the slot is cut is 5 and so you should be able to make a 3.5" slot without much problem.

For the 50% version, it would be 5" at the rudder end and at prop slot it would be only 2.5".....

How are you able to make a 3.5 in slot for 6x4 prop ?

I am facing similar issue with 2/3 version.... It is 6.66" at rudder end and only 3.3 at prop slot and I need to make a 3.5 inch slot... I think this spot is going to be the weakest part of the plane...
On my 1/2 size SE airframe , I made every dimension 1/2 of the full size SE . Then I put on a 1/2 size motor and 1/2 size prop ( 3 inch ) .
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Motor Mount for the Super Easy

I want to thank everyone for the plans and suggestions for the Super Easy. I have built the plane, but I haven't purchased the electronics or other parts yet. I am not sure how the motor is mounted. This is new to me, so all ideas are appreciated.
Tex1960 is offline Find More Posts by Tex1960