SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jun 2006
17 Posts
Thanks for sharing your SE design

I built the SE a while ago in a workshop I gave to 15 hi-tech employees - to "build and fly an rc airplane in 60 minutes".

I gave the same workshop a couple of years ago with a PBF design, but it wasn't stable enough to let the builders try holding the right Tx stick a little. This time we built the SE, which was just right. Great success!

60 minute rc airplane build (2 min 21 sec)
joe_weisman is offline Find More Posts by joe_weisman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_weisman View Post
I built the SE a while ago in a workshop I gave to 15 hi-tech employees - to "build and fly an rc airplane in 60 minutes".

I gave the same workshop a couple of years ago with a PBF design, but it wasn't stable enough to let the builders try holding the right Tx stick a little. This time we built the SE, which was just right. Great success!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPDB7ECdhw
Awesome video Joe ! Will you be doing another workshop like that in the future ?

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2006
17 Posts
I did it once more two years ago, and both times were on a personal acquaintance voluntarily basis, just for fun. I'd probably do it again if asked.

Getting a bunch of smart adults that have nothing to do with rc airplanes genuinely excited and inspired... inspires me.
joe_weisman is offline Find More Posts by joe_weisman
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Al
You bet - stills maybe, I need to dig out my camera manual and RTFM (Read The Flippin' Manual ) on how to do those funny moving pictures.

Right now, am still in the throws of having the house re-decorated. All that's on my building bench right now is a pile of tile-cutting tools and decorating stuff. There is strong rumour it may be over 'next week', so maybe a month or three of putting 'schotskies' back to please Spousal Unit and then I can get back to some really important stuff. We have an indoor weekly meet not far away - need a model or two for this and a S(mall)SE will do me, I think.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Al
You bet - stills maybe, I need to dig out my camera manual and RTFM (Read The Flippin' Manual ) on how to do those funny moving pictures.

Right now, am still in the throws of having the house re-decorated. All that's on my building bench right now is a pile of tile-cutting tools and decorating stuff. There is strong rumour it may be over 'next week', so maybe a month or three of putting 'schotskies' back to please Spousal Unit and then I can get back to some really important stuff. We have an indoor weekly meet not far away - need a model or two for this and a S(mall)SE will do me, I think.

Regards

Dereck
Well , definitely RTFM 'cause videos are certainly the most fun !

I think you would really enjoy the SSE if the indoor flying space is big enough - I love flying mine at our ( pretty big ) neighborhood park !

Al
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
I have this outfit coming for my Super Easy......

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
I have this outfit coming for my Super Easy......

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html
That'll work just fine . The last one of those I got came with the throttle reversed ( just had to flip the reversing switch - easy ) , so when you first hook it up you might want to check that .

And if possible , show us some photos and a video when the time comes !

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:57 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Will do.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Outdoor flying 1/2 SE

Video of 1/2 SE flying outdoors . Pretty nimble flyer - even does some nice rolls for RET !

1/2 size SUPER EASY RC paper airplane (1 min 48 sec)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:41 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Showed my 75% done SE today to my 8 year old grandson. He went nuts over it and said it reminded him of the head of Phineas (and Ferb)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Showed my 75% done SE today to my 8 year old grandson. He went nuts over it and said it reminded him of the head of Phineas (and Ferb)

It DOES look like Phineas' head ! Might be fun to go with that and put on eyes , mouth , etc. !

Al
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, AL, Orange Beach
Joined Oct 2012
153 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm thinking about building a SE for my 6 year old and I to have fun with together. Looks like a great father/son project. I think he'll really appreciate seeing something fly that he and daddy built more so than the Champ we fly together.

Making a shopping list now. THANKS Balsa or Carbon.
BamaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BamaBasher
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A great flying day!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
I realize this thread may not be the place for my question but I am interested in building this plane. I'm confused as to how it flies being that the upper and lower surface of the wing is flat. i.e. no airfoil with upper part curved. Not sure this makes any sense but this is about the only way I know how to put it! Can anyone enlighten me?
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
I realize this thread may not be the place for my question but I am interested in building this plane. I'm confused as to how it flies being that the upper and lower surface of the wing is flat. i.e. no airfoil with upper part curved. Not sure this makes any sense but this is about the only way I know how to put it! Can anyone enlighten me?
Don
It planes on the air , like water skis or wake boards plane on the water . If you'll notice in the instructions I say to start with a little up elevator trimmed in , that keeps the nose slightly up - just like keeping the tips of water skis slightly up . It's not the most efficient way to fly , but the SE is meant to be a quick , easy build .

If you build one , let me know if you have any more questions , I'll be glad to help !

Al
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:17 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
I've been wracking my brain (well, not that hard, really) about the dihedral brace from a bent tube and some CF.
Just wondering, how about a small piece of CF spread across the top of the 2 wings about half way up from the main joint, going side to side. Sort of like a delta kite's dowel that holds it all together. Maybe anchor it with hot glue and some small nylon pads line the ones on the bottom of the elevator control horns.
This would be more drag and maybe be in the way more but it would offer strength in compression.

Or shouldn't I think so hard??