HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:05 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Well, I have mine halfway done. This is a lot bigger than I thought it would be! Servos are mounted, need to be connected to the control surfaces.

BTW is the length of the motor mount stick critical in any dimension?

And without surfing the Dollar Tree thread for 45 minutes does anybody know what brand of spray paints will work on this paper/foam? Mine is all white and I need to put some color on for orientation.

As far as reinforcing the wing, how about thin music wire bent to the correct angle fastened with fiberglass tape?

Thanks for any help.
I think the size of it makes it easier to see when it's in the air , especially when it gets kind of far away from you . For me , it's easier to fly larger planes ( old eyes ! ) .

The length of the motor mount stick is only going to affect how securely it is mounted to the plane , a longer one would have more surface area to come into contact ( glue ) with the plane than a shorter one .

I would not recommend putting any kind of wet paint on the plane because it will make the foam board warp . Coloring with something dry like chalk might be OK , but a LITTLE BIT of colored tape is probably best . Whatever you use , try it out on some scrap first .

Music wire might be OK for reinforcing the wings , but then don't do loops , pull hard out of dives , etc. Flying W made his without any reinforcement ( as far as I can see ) , but it looks like he just cruises around nice and easy . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22942709http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post22943192
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:32 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
One might consider borrowing some of the wing reinforcement designs of the GWS Pico Stick and the GWS Slow Stick. Let's start with the Slow Stick, which uses a a piece of small diameter aluminum tubing like you can find at Hobby Lobby craft stores that is bent in the middle to the angle of the desired dihedral. Now barrow the idea of the bambo reinforcement from the Pico Stick by using 2 nice straight bambo skewers from Walmart. the tubing needs to be just big enough to let the skewers slip into it with a small amount of adhesive on it. Cut each skewer to the desired length on each side, insert it into a slot in the wing, and use adhesive to glue it into place.
eboggs59 is online now Find More Posts by eboggs59
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
One might consider borrowing some of the wing reinforcement designs of the GWS Pico Stick and the GWS Slow Stick. Let's start with the Slow Stick, which uses a a piece of small diameter aluminum tubing like you can find at Hobby Lobby craft stores that is bent in the middle to the angle of the desired dihedral. Now barrow the idea of the bambo reinforcement from the Pico Stick by using 2 nice straight bambo skewers from Walmart. the tubing needs to be just big enough to let the skewers slip into it with a small amount of adhesive on it. Cut each skewer to the desired length on each side, insert it into a slot in the wing, and use adhesive to glue it into place.
Sounds like a great way to reinforce the wings ! Thanks for the idea !
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,246 Posts
Thanks eboggs,
I seem to remember from my earlier job that filling the tubing with sand ( or salt, whatever) will keep it from kinking while bending. Thanks for the brain jolt.

I think the size of it makes it easier to see when it's in the air , especially when it gets kind of far away from you

I was concerned with it being so angular and far away I might not be able to see if it's banked. But then I could just hand the TX to my 8 year old grandson. He's such a wiz with games he probably could fly it right off!
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:27 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
For visibility I have started putting florescent green and orange duct tape on the leading edges of the wings. This also will help protect the leading edges some as well.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Video of 1/2 SE indoors

Here is a video of the 1/2 size SUPER EASY flying indoors . It was a little fast for the small indoor space .

RC paper airplane indoor flight (1 min 33 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Noob Question, I have built one of these for my 6 year old, and would like to know, what RX/TX works with the Dynam Motor and Servo Setup detailed in the post. I am trying to not break the bank, ($75-125) yet want RX/TX he can grow with as well Any help appreciated...BTW great easy plane to build even for someone like me.. "Get me a bigger Hammer"
Ref_Ump is offline Find More Posts by Ref_Ump
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
TX/RX to work with the Dynam motor and servos setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_Ump View Post
Noob Question, I have built one of these for my 6 year old, and would like to know, what RX/TX works with the Dynam Motor and Servo Setup detailed in the post. I am trying to not break the bank, ($75-125) yet want RX/TX he can grow with as well Any help appreciated...BTW great easy plane to build even for someone like me.. "Get me a bigger Hammer"
These days the outputs from the RX's will work with most of the motor, esc, and servo setups. The big difference is the cross compatability of brands when mixing different brand Tx's with different brands of RX's.

Personally I would buy no less than a 4 channel radio setup. There is a lot of the FlySky / Hobby King radios in use, and the RX's are fairly cheap. The only setback to the FlySky / Hobby King 6 channel TX is that you must have a PC, programing cable, and programing software (this can be downloaded for free) to setup things like servo direction, and ec.

Take a look here at one tha Whirl10 has for sale here in RC Groups at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767901, or at Hobby Partz at http://www.hobbypartz.com/fsaircontrol.html.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
TX/RX to work with the Dynam motor and servos setup

Thank you will look into these, I am not sure who is more excited him or me at getting this airborne..
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
122 Posts
I haven't built this one yet, but I have built two of Balsa or Carbon's and all I can say is they are a blast to fly. My next project is going to be the Super Easy in a 300 sq in wing area size. That is about a 70.8% scale to the original.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Quote:
For a TX/RX that your son can grow with ( 6 or more channels , dual rates , elevon/v-tail mixing ) . here are a couple of options in your price range :

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARNY&P=0 easy to understand manual/instructions .

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html has 9 channels and lots of useful features , but difficult to understand manual/instructions , and may need to be tweaked with a PC .

If you can , show us photos/video of your SUPER EASY !

Al
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Again Thanks for the input, I will get some pics loaded, he has yet to decide on how to decorate it, so it is in its Prime state of White, I will be ordering the gear, Thur, with maiden flight sched for Thanksgiving sometime, as my sched will slow down then.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Quote:
Again Thanks for the input, I will get some pics loaded, he has yet to decide on how to decorate it, so it is in its Prime state of White, I will be ordering the gear, Thur, with maiden flight sched for Thanksgiving sometime, as my sched will slow down then.
Be careful using anything wet to decorate DTFB , wet paint will warp it . Sharpies work OK , a little colored tape might be best .

Looking forward to seeing your SE photos and flying video ! Just remember that the rudder is VERY touchy , so be careful not to over steer at first .

Al
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Here is a video of the 1/2 size SUPER EASY flying indoors . It was a little fast for the small indoor space .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5ZS...hannel&list=UL
Looked to be doing fine in the space, though not a lot of room for aerobatics. Am going to crib your IMAA legal version of this cutie for this winter's indoor sessions, for sure.

The transmitter issue. Will be polite and say that I didn't allow the HK tranny I got to mess with to clutter up my shop for long... Modern tranny marketing suggests we all need to buy enough channels to control a full blown government funded RPV drone and possibly a local coffee shop as well. I'll be a little different here and suggest 6 channels maximum. As long as you have some model memories, a couple of mixers and rates, you'll do fine with the vast majority of sports models.

The other point is that if you buy cheap junk and write off a model or worse, it isn't cheap any more.

Have been running Futaba since well back into the last century. 27, 35, 72 megs and now 2.4. None of them have ever failed. My present one is their 6 channel, whatever the model # is. I design my own models, some are pretty odd shaped and it covers all I need to do with them.

I also have a Spektrum 7 channel, but while I use it some, it has a black cloud hanging over it involving a perfectly good model diving into the ground one day. Suspect they spend too much on marketing and creating twee little acronyms to call stuff, but that's hard to document.

Looking forward to a SE using up my stash of 2mm and 3mm Depron this winter.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Looked to be doing fine in the space, though not a lot of room for aerobatics. Am going to crib your IMAA legal version of this cutie for this winter's indoor sessions, for sure.

The transmitter issue. Will be polite and say that I didn't allow the HK tranny I got to mess with to clutter up my shop for long... Modern tranny marketing suggests we all need to buy enough channels to control a full blown government funded RPV drone and possibly a local coffee shop as well. I'll be a little different here and suggest 6 channels maximum. As long as you have some model memories, a couple of mixers and rates, you'll do fine with the vast majority of sports models.

The other point is that if you buy cheap junk and write off a model or worse, it isn't cheap any more.

Have been running Futaba since well back into the last century. 27, 35, 72 megs and now 2.4. None of them have ever failed. My present one is their 6 channel, whatever the model # is. I design my own models, some are pretty odd shaped and it covers all I need to do with them.

I also have a Spektrum 7 channel, but while I use it some, it has a black cloud hanging over it involving a perfectly good model diving into the ground one day. Suspect they spend too much on marketing and creating twee little acronyms to call stuff, but that's hard to document.

Looking forward to a SE using up my stash of 2mm and 3mm Depron this winter.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck , when you have the SE built , we'd love to see photos/video if possible !

Al