Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Step by step for SUPER EASY now with Increased Wing Area SE instructions

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685988
This is a great plane for a first time builder AND a first time flyer , and actually flies pretty good in a little wind . The airframe is made from 2 sheets of Dollar Tree foam , some hot glue , tape and a couple of sticks ( carbon rod , bamboo skewer , wood dowel , etc. ) .
If built light and with some dihedral it can fly slowly and is completely self-righting - just let go of the sticks and it straightens itself right out . It also protects all your electronics ( especially your motor ) and your prop . This combo works well for this plane http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html

I recommend making your keel ( fuselage ) out of a triple layer of foam board for strength and more surface area contact between the keel and the wings ( see post #744 ) .

I put additional instructions for an Increased Wing Area SE in post #235 . The IWA-SE is a slow , floaty flyer .

Start with about 1/4" up elevator ( reflex ) on first flight .

The photos below are actually part TWO of the build ( part ONE didn't post when I clicked on submit ) , so I'll put part ONE in the next post .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Today at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Part ONE of build

Begin here ,
Continues in post #1
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Today at 08:37 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
511 Posts
Thanks for detailed build pictures. As you mentioned in the other thread, the paper is on the board in this version.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Test of Prairie Bird at CFFS
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Thanks for detailed build pictures. As you mentioned in the other thread, the paper is on the board in this version.
Yes .
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
828 Posts
Plans look Great!!! I cannot say this enough... Name a plane a beginner can fly in 10-15 mph winds and land easily. Super Easy!!! yes I live in a windy area...

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Small DIY Tricopter - Multiwii
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Plans look Great!!! I cannot say this enough... Name a plane a beginner can fly in 10-15 mph winds and land easily. Super Easy!!! yes I live in a windy area...

Nightstone
Nightstone ,

Thanks for the endorsements !

Al
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:41 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
boc, Just found this neat thread. Great design, this might just be the ticket to have my 7 year old grandson become involved with flying!!

Thanks!!

BTW what size motor are we looking at here?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
boc, Just found this neat thread. Great design, this might just be the ticket to have my 7 year old grandson become involved with flying!!

Thanks!!

BTW what size motor are we looking at here?
200 watts or more should do it . Higher kv will let you run a smaller prop .
I use this combo - works great for this plane . Let me know how it turns out - shoot a video if you can!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 03, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
SUPER EASY night flyer

Put some lights on one of my SUPER EASY's ( inspired by the "Phoenix Lights" UFO of 1997 ) . Why stop flying when the sun goes down ? Lots of fun having people think they're seeing a UFO !
UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I've really enjoyed making the plane so far. The next step for me will be attaching the carbon rods. But I've got questions about the steel tube that joins them: Where did you get the tube? How did you bend the steel tube to the angle of your dihedral without crimping it? What was its diameter and length?

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get it in the air. I'll post a picture when it's finished.
Mondito73 is offline Find More Posts by Mondito73
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondito73 View Post
I've really enjoyed making the plane so far. The next step for me will be attaching the carbon rods. But I've got questions about the steel tube that joins them: Where did you get the tube? How did you bend the steel tube to the angle of your dihedral without crimping it? What was its diameter and length?

Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get it in the air. I'll post a picture when it's finished.
I bought the steel tube at a local Ace Hardware store . I take the carbon rod along to test fit it into the steel tubes they have available to get the right fit . A good length is about 3" - 3 1/2" .
I just bend it with two pairs of pliers and it does crimp a little , but not enough to be a problem . Another way might be to suspend it between two pieces of scrap wood and lightly hammer a flat blade screw driver into the middle .
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Thanks again for the help.

I'm ready to start setting up the electronics. I bought the Dynam motor kit you suggested:

Can you recommend a battery for this setup? I'm not as concerned about flight time as weight (I might've gotten carried away with the hot glue).
Also, on the Dynam brushless package it says the motor accepts 8 x 4 or 8 x 3.8 props. I bought a 7 x 5 based on posts I read about other Super Easy's. Do you know if the 7 x 5 will still work?

Appreicate the help, and please speak slowly--this is my very first build and I don't know KV from a Circle K, but everything is going well so far thanks to your instructions.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again for the help.

I'm ready to start setting up the electronics. I bought the Dynam motor kit you suggested:

Can you recommend a battery for this setup? I'm not as concerned about flight time as weight (I might've gotten carried away with the hot glue).
Also, on the Dynam brushless package it says the motor accepts 8 x 4 or 8 x 3.8 props. I bought a 7 x 5 based on posts I read about other Super Easy's. Do you know if the 7 x 5 will still work?

Appreicate the help, and please speak slowly--this is my very first build and I don't know KV from a Circle K, but everything is going well so far thanks to your instructions.
The 7x5 prop should be fine - won't make it a rocket with that motor , but should be good for cruising around .
You'll want to get a 3s battery ( 11.1volt )http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1000-3s1p-40c-3333.html , 40c if you can get it , if not then 30c or 20c . A good size to save weight would be 1000mah . Here's one from Hobbypartz
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Great, thanks. And here come the dumb questions, but did you just cut holes in the wing underneath the elevator servos for the wires to go through? Also, did you make a seat of any kind for the elevator servos, or did you just glue them to the top of the wing with hot glue?

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Great, thanks. And here come the dumb questions, but did you just cut holes in the wing underneath the elevator servos for the wires to go through? Also, did you make a seat of any kind for the elevator servos, or did you just glue them to the top of the wing with hot glue?

Thanks.
Don't worry about the questions - It's fun for me that you're building a SUPER EASY , I'm glad to help !
Yes , I cut rectangular holes in the foam for the servos to fit in . Make sure that you start with a hole that is too small for the servo , and then enlarge it a little bit at a time until the servo will fit in the hole SNUGLY . You don't want the servo moving around in a hole that's too big for it . Once the servo is in the hole ( put the wires into the hole FIRST so they'll be underneath ) , tack it with a dab of hot glue on both ends .