http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=5
bigbobed is offline Find More Posts by bigbobed
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Old Rascal - That 3 blade you show will probably draw nearer 100 Amps on 12S, so you need to have a re-think about your prop if you can't drop to 10S. If you have an A60-xxL kicking around, that might be a better choice.
I wish I had an 18L but I don't.
Hacker has always severley "underated" their motors. We will give her a spin with the watt meter on her, and see how warm she gets, (it's all about the heat). And if I draw 100a at wide open throttle, doesn't mean I have to use wot.
Old Rascal is offline Find More Posts by Old Rascal
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rascal View Post
Where did u guys mount ur speed controllers?
How far forward or back were ur batteries?
(did u have to move them all the way forward, (or back) to balance the plane)?
thanks for the help guys
I mounted my speed controller above the flight batteries just inside the firewall.

There is not much you can do with the flight batteries for the CG because they take up the whole battery tray. I've never had to add weight to balance mine.

The two things you can work with is the location of the rudder servo and the location of the receiver battery. All 3 of my Rascals balanced a little different. One of mine I had the Rudder servo aft and had to position the receiver battery half way back toward the tail. My current Rascal has a aft mounted rudder servo but my receiver battery is under the wing on the servo tray. I could have had a forward mounted Rudder servo with a pull pull system if I wanted to.

Get it ready to fly except the rudder servo and the receiver battery and then check the balance and figure out where they would work best.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
105 Posts
After seeing these majestic planes kick butt at Watts over Owatonna a few weeks ago, I may be buying one this weekend. I am glad I stumbled onto your build thread. Interesting placement of the batteries. It looks like you are doing an awesome job and I'm glad to learn about the cg tips.
Bipesexual is offline Find More Posts by Bipesexual
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
105 Posts
By the way, when you hover one of these 110's, it looks like the famous statue in Rio De Janero.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, kepp 'em coming please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Get it ready to fly except the rudder servo and the receiver battery and then check the balance and figure out where they would work best.
Roger that skyjet.
My lipo tray goes all the way back to the tube, I plan on cutting it down once I established the proper CG, (adding lead to any of my models is unacceptable, period)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipesexual View Post
By the way, when you hover one of these 110's, it looks like the famous statue in Rio De Janero.
Yes they hover great! If you fly it electric with an electric prop it won't hold a hover long do to the flex of an electric prop. It hovers better with a stiffer prop. Search YouTube for "rascal 110" and you will find videos of it doing some crazy stuff.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Does anyone know what the total weight of just the mount, motor/engine, and prop?

I would like to hear from both electric and non-electric guys.
Last edited by Old Rascal; Aug 09, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: add pics
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
105 Posts
Skyjet, your 110 is insane. I've seen your videos on youtube.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I've had a lot of fun with it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Quote:

I agree absolutely !!!
I have seen them as well, and skyjet is definitely my inspiration on this build. What a great job he has done on his build threads and his videos, (I'll be happy if mine are half as good).

Anyone have any tips keeping the tail wheel on, and the wheel pants on?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
I agree absolutely !!!
I have seen them as well, and skyjet is definitely my inspiration on this build. What a great job he has done on his build threads and his videos, (I'll be happy if mine are half as good).

Anyone have any tips keeping the tail wheel on, and the wheel pants on?
Yours will be great! I'm sure you posted it somewhere already, But what is the KV of your motor?

I know some people have had problems with the tail wheel but I never had. I guess just check the retaining clips to make sure they are secure.

I used blue thread lock on the screws for the wheel pants and I've never had any problems with them.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,226 Posts
I changed the wheel axles to longer ones on my Rascal "Double Trouble"...

The axles extend through the wheel,into a block epoxied to the inside of the out-side of the wheel pants.

The extra support stabilizes the wheel pant,transmitting less vibration from the wheels to the retaining screws.

A drop of locktite on the screws also does no harm.

I put a drop of epoxy on each "e" ring of the tailwheel axle....prettier than NO tailwheel!
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
24 Posts
Boy, I was sad with the site down all afternoon.

Getting ready to run my electronics, any tips on shortening the 6s lipo leads?, recommended connectors, ect? I would really appreciate some advice here, and if u can post some pics of ur set-up I would really appreciate it.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Boy, I was sad with the site down all afternoon.

Getting ready to run my electronics, any tips on shortening the 6s lipo leads?, recommended connectors, ect? I would really appreciate some advice here, and if u can post some pics of ur set-up I would really appreciate it.
I'm not much help here. I just used the connectors that came with the batteries and made a series adapter with the same connectors. I didn't shorten any wires. I like them longer because it makes it easier to connect them before you put them on the battery tray. I just stuff the extra wire into the battery compartment. You won't have to worry about the weight of the extra wire because with this set-up the Rascal won't even know it's there.