SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
Project: San Juan

Hi everyone!

Well, like the title says, I'm going to inmerse myself in trying to outfit a kit from Artesania Latina and make it an R/C Sailing boat. It's my first attemp to actually try this sort of thing, so any help would be very welcome!

The model is a replica of the Spanish Galleon San Juan, in scale 1:30. It may not be the best model to start with, but it was the only one that I reckon that can hold the servos for the sails and rudder.

My idea: I'm going to follow the instructions (of course) but will make the neccesary modifications to the hull structure so I can fit at least two servos, one for the sails, the other for the rudder. Of course, I might just leave the rudder and go for one servo to control the sails on both masts (suggestions are welcome on this matter).

The entire hull will be sealed from the inside with a waterproof resin (the outside will just have a coat of varnish).

I'm still thinking on the matter of been able to remove the upper decks to have access to the servos and electrical. I'm thinking on leaving the upper deck screwed, not nailed, with some sort of water proof velcro or something similar to seal it all of.

There's more on my head, but for the time being, I'm going to start with the hull structure and see where I can make the space for the servos (If anyone has ever made this sort of model, they know that the hull is divided in two by a false keel, leaving no room for anything). I'll the focus on how to access the hull.

I would be very gratefull for any insight on this, since I only used to build these kits, not alter them, certanly not to make them sea worthy vessels.

Cheers!!

Issus38
Issus38 is offline Find More Posts by Issus38
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:48 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
I did several small scale conversions which sailed well and one a plank on bulkhead build that i kind of stalled out on due to a shift in interest back to flying.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285491
Snake is actually ready for RC installation, and then masting and rigging as the hull is pretty much completed. She has been in the water already too.
Looking at the dimensions she might be pretty close to your galeon on size too..

One tip i can give you is to try to save weight! Save every gramm, as in the end you will need every bit of ballast in teh keel that you can get to have decent sailing qualities
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
I'll bear that in mind. Also, I'll keep an eye out on you're Snake project, it's given me a few pointers already!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Well, I finished this ship (almost, just some details and the rigging, which is going to be a challenge...I'm not good with ropes and knots)

I decided not to make R/C in the end, since there was not enough space inside the hull for all the gear it needs, and I'd rather not break the hole thing. Its going to be what it was meant to be, a display.

Not all is lost, I have learned how to build a kit, now we move to strachbuilds, and I'll be following in Lucc's footsteps, since his Santisima Trinidad is a good example.

I'm not fussed with the size of the project I will be taking, since I'll be going slow, and the size of the hull will make it asy for me being the first build.
Eventually, espeacially when it comes to prepartin the rigging to make it R/C, I will ask for help, especially where Danyls prototype machine comes into play.

Sorry I never posted pictures, but I kind of lose myself when I'm building. I disconnect. No thoughs of rocks, minerals, papers I have to hand in molest me...its just me and the boat. Pictures dont come into the equation either

When San Juan is completly finished, Ill post a picture, until then, fair wind!!