HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
First Gas RC Plane!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to RC Planes. I've been driving cars all my life but have always been in love with RC Planes. I'm from the Caribbean and I've never seen any here except for cars and boats so that's why it took me this long before attempting to have a go at them. I love building stuff and I'm pretty good at it. I plan on going with a cheap electric trainer to be safe (I'm a quick learner) but at the same time I want to begin building a gas model. I'm looking for an airframe that will last me a long time (unless I crash), something that is versatile, something 3D. I'm looking at RedwingRC, ChiefAircraft etc. Please help me make a start in building my Giant Gas RC. I'm also looking at a DLE 30cc or the newer PTE engines.

PS: I've been researching this for about two years now and I'm going all the way even.
musicminister187 is offline Find More Posts by musicminister187
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
Don't start out with a 3D gas or nitro plane. The most "advanced trainer" that I would go with is a Sig Four Star 40 (if you want to go the kit route) or an escapade (if you want to go the arf route). Alot of beginners don't realise that you cannot just go buy a $2000 dollar plane and expect to be able to fly it. Start with a $300 dollar NITRO plane, not gas, gas engines are expensive and for the bigger planes that you need to wait to get into. Unless you are swimming in cash and can afford to be wrecking you plane the first time out, gas is not the way for you. Try finding a club in your area, they will help get you started.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Don't start out with a 3D gas or nitro plane. The most "advanced trainer" that I would go with is a Sig Four Star 40 (if you want to go the kit route) or an escapade (if you want to go the arf route). Alot of beginners don't realise that you cannot just go buy a $2000 dollar plane and expect to be able to fly it. Start with a $300 dollar NITRO plane, not gas, gas engines are expensive and for the bigger planes that you need to wait to get into. Unless you are swimming in cash and can afford to be wrecking you plane the first time out, gas is not the way for you. Try finding a club in your area, they will help get you started.
Thanks, I'm looking for an electric to get started with. I would prefer to go with a bigger electric plane like the Hobby King Giant Cessna 182, what do you think about this?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicminister187 View Post
Thanks, I'm looking for an electric to get started with. I would prefer to go with a bigger electric plane like the Hobby King Giant Cessna 182, what do you think about this?
Have you flown at all? If not I would suggest buying a simulator. Personally, I don't get along very well with a sim, but know folks that have learned to fly using one. I would suggest starting out with a small foam plane of some sort. Cheap is good if you are on your own. Next move up to something like the mentioned Sig 4 Star. Yes, it looks like your are "wasting" money buy starting small, but yuo will save money in the long run and more importantly frustration going the route I described.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,061 Posts
I am a Realflight taught pilot and would highly reccomend it to someone. That 182 would be a decent trainer, but wouldn't be easaly repaired, so get lots of practice on the sim before you fly that. If I was in your position, I would get a Spektrum DX6i and start with the HZ Champ or HZ Super Cub lp, then move on to the T-28 and then go on to something nitro. With that DX6i you can program 6 planes into it.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm looking in to the nitro planes but I'm from the Caribbean and fuel will be hard to get. We don't have hobby shops where I'm from.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,064 Posts
If you really want to run a gasoline enging and don't have much/any experience, I will reccomend a Saito FG-14 from Horizon Hobbies and an Escapade .60 from Tower Hobbies.
Not a real trainer but relatively easy to fly with no bad habits. They land slow and will stall straight ahead without snapping on you. I have the combination that I recommend. It is my "relaxing day" flyer. The Saito is not cheap, but sips gas and will run forever. It does take time to get properly broken in but never dead sticks on me. Good luck with your endeavor. And yes, do practice on a simulator.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:36 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Have a look at HobbyKing, if you haven't already done so. You can pick up a 15cc, 20cc or 26cc RCGF gas 2-stroke for about under $150 (plus postage).

You should look to build an ARF cheap trainer-style model (high wing), maybe about 60 size (use 15cc or 20cc engine) in the first instance because it is a bit of a learning experience in the build and flying. I know in Australia you can pick up a decent ARF Seagull Boomerand for about $150. You will have dead sticks and you want something that is pretty stable and glides OK with no engine.

Start off with a RTF cheap foamie to get expereince. Try and find out if there are any experienced flyers somewhere, even if you have to drive a few hours in the first instance.

It can be hard with no one to help you. It is a gradual expeinece curve for all of us and you want to maximise your chance for success at the least cost.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Thanks guy, I really like the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS but the fuel will be difficult to get here. I was wondering if it will be worth it swapping the engine to a Saito .72 or .82 4 stroke and sell the new one that come with it on ebay. The other option is to buy the ARF version but the RTF comes with radio and everything and it has trainer characteristics. Please let me know what you think.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
sorry those are glow fuel too... the Saito FG is gas but will any fit?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:23 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I had the Mustang PTS. It was a good buy for me becasue I wanted a computer radio and the whole RTF plane plus Spectrum Dx61 was only about $600.

The plane really worked out well for me, but I did have high wing trainer experience. I wouldn't recommend changing the supplied engine (which is callibrated for easier flying). It would be a pain and I don't think the plane would fly as well (at least as an initial trainer style).

You can also buy the foamie Apprentice RTF with a basic Spektrum Dx5 and it is a good first trainer.

Many people make planes out of 10cm plumber platic piping (fuselage) and waxed beer carton cardboard (double layered and glued together). There is probably a design on the web. They are cheap, but not beginner aircraft.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMaggot View Post
I had the Mustang PTS. It was a good buy for me becasue I wanted a computer radio and the whole RTF plane plus Spectrum Dx61 was only about $600.

The plane really worked out well for me, but I did have high wing trainer experience. I wouldn't recommend changing the supplied engine (which is callibrated for easier flying). It would be a pain and I don't think the plane would fly as well (at least as an initial trainer style).

You can also buy the foamie Apprentice RTF with a basic Spektrum Dx5 and it is a good first trainer.

Many people make planes out of 10cm plumber platic piping (fuselage) and waxed beer carton cardboard (double layered and glued together). There is probably a design on the web. They are cheap, but not beginner aircraft.
So I guess that means no gas trainers huh? I refuse to go with electric. The idea of packing up and coming home after the battery dies doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,249 Posts
For a large gasoline aerobatic plane that would be relatively easy to fly after you have some time on a trainer this would be what I would get, not 3D but that would be the next level.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcg-decathlon.html
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMaggot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
If you really want to run a gasoline enging and don't have much/any experience, I will reccomend a Saito FG-14 from Horizon Hobbies and an Escapade .60 from Tower Hobbies.
Not a real trainer but relatively easy to fly with no bad habits. They land slow and will stall straight ahead without snapping on you. I have the combination that I recommend. It is my "relaxing day" flyer. The Saito is not cheap, but sips gas and will run forever. It does take time to get properly broken in but never dead sticks on me. Good luck with your endeavor. And yes, do practice on a simulator.
Hey guys, I found the NGH GT9 which is a gasser and is the same size as a .56 glow. This looks like a fit for the Mustang, would it be a good swap?

I love the AMR Trainers (20&26) but I will have to spend more money on completion. I'll have to do a lot of building which I've never done and not sure if it's too hard. When I get better in the hobby I'll get something like the AMR Trainer 50 maybe.

The Mustang come with everything, including a DX6 radio.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,249 Posts
Yeah that NGH engine would probably be about right. I used the NGH 17cc to replace a .60 glow motor and it has plenty of power.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob