SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I used velcro to mount mine and I have ZERO jello issues with either the u816 of the LB using #16's

the velcro is gone now (it does NOT stick well the the belly of the LB at all :-) usually just a piece of masking tape is the way I go.
You've been very lucky. Over in the #16 and #18 threads lots of people find Velcro's a bit variable, depending on how you mount it. Is the camera hanging from, or sitting on it, for example? It does depend on the size, the type and how hard you push the loops into the fuzzy stuff and wiggle it about to get a good grip. If you just have a little 1cm patch on the top/bottom of the camera and barely touch the two halves of velcro together and the camera hangs there like a fly in a spider's web, the results aren't pretty. I find when I get a good grip between the two Velcro halves, it usually unsticks one side from whatever I've attached it to when I try to remove it anyway, so loses it's stickiness. Gave up, went to foam tape.

Can you put some video up? Not many people have done decent onboard LB/U816 etc. that I've seen. I still need to do some myself when IT STOPS RAINING .
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:36 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Well I think it depends on the Velcro....or what is specified as Velcro. I have locking Velcro which is more like two sides of the nylon hook part versus the traditional Velcro with one fibrous side and one nylon side. I haven't had the jello effect occur with it....but, the locking Velcro is a pita and essentially useless to me. It's ability to lock is stronger than the adhesive and falls off the quad in a crash or trying to remove the #16.
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
I've ordered the UP02 kit to flash my Wowhobbies fw1.0 LB to 1.1 it's still a few weeks away though... Now they have a fw1.2 wha?

Please update us if you find any info on that firmware.

fw1.0 = needs alot of throttle to hover.
fw1.1 = has very sensitive throttle and will lift and hover with little throttle.
fw1.2 = ??

Thanks.
see that's the thing, I believe I'm the only person to report having v1.2... interested to know if anyone else has gone to upgrade their firmware and run into this?

there's no noticeable flight difference as far as I can can tell, although I'm almost exclusively still flying my first LB with v1.1 lol. I'll have to take it to the park and put it through its paces this weekend perhaps

there's still no update on the Walkera website as far as I can see, maybe I should contact Wowhobbies and ask them? don't want to pester them, I'm just curious more than anything..
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
just the crap velcro that came with the camera. (ok technically hook and loop tape :-) hehe

shove twist done. the LB/U816 are just so silky smooth (very little vibration)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
see that's the thing, I believe I'm the only person to report having v1.2... interested to know if anyone else has gone to upgrade their firmware and run into this?

there's no noticeable flight difference as far as I can can tell, although I'm almost exclusively still flying my first LB with v1.1 lol. I'll have to take it to the park and put it through its paces this weekend perhaps

there's still no update on the Walkera website as far as I can see, maybe I should contact Wowhobbies and ask them? don't want to pester them, I'm just curious more than anything..
How do you know what version you have? Is it possible without cable. I ordered mine just the other day from nitroplanes and wonder what version it will be.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
really there's just v1.0 and v1.1, but if you have v1.1 and load the firmware program it still says you have v1.0 (fault Walkera, they never corrected this).

you should be able to tell which firmware very easily, if the throttle is very sensitive you have v1.1. I'm almost certain yours will come with v1.1, they probably all do by now. another good way to check yours is the most recent incarnation are the squishy white round pads at the bottom of each motor, a nice addition to damper your landings.

really the 1.2 version is a mystery right now, maybe I have the key?

here's a pic showing my LB has "v1.2" apparently. don't ask why I didn't just take a screenshot lol. normally it says v1.0 regardless...

edit: here's a helpful link for update instructions start to finish http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/infom.jsp?id=10100
Last edited by flying toaster; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,218 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I'm hoping mine comes with the white rubbered feet. I had those mounts on my mqx/ladybird hybrid and really liked the dampening they provided.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
I'm interested to know how your hybrid compares to the LB once you get it, please share your experience with us!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:41 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,218 Posts
I sold the hybrid, but will do my best from memory.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
Well I think it depends on the Velcro....or what is specified as Velcro. I have locking Velcro which is more like two sides of the nylon hook part versus the traditional Velcro with one fibrous side and one nylon side. I haven't had the jello effect occur with it....but, the locking Velcro is a pita and essentially useless to me. It's ability to lock is stronger than the adhesive and falls off the quad in a crash or trying to remove the #16.
Ah, that's that clicklock or snapclick stuff I was talking about (wassit called?). Yeah, that won't wobble, but does have the same problem of coming unstuck on removal. I find that when I do use Velcro(tm), that rounding the corners makes it less likely that it will unstick, due to the pulling forces having nowhere to concentrate (bit like you only have round windows in aeroplanes so they don't fall apart and crash any more)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
just the crap velcro that came with the camera. (ok technically hook and loop tape :-) hehe
shove twist done. the LB/U816 are just so silky smooth (very little vibration)
Sure, the LB sized quads are so smooth it's generally not a problem anyway, although some exspurts would try convince you otherwise.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
really there's just v1.0 and v1.1, but if you have v1.1 and load the firmware program it still says you have v1.0 (fault Walkera, they never corrected this).

you should be able to tell which firmware very easily, if the throttle is very sensitive you have v1.1. I'm almost certain yours will come with v1.1, they probably all do by now. another good way to check yours is the most recent incarnation are the squishy white round pads at the bottom of each motor, a nice addition to damper your landings.

really the 1.2 version is a mystery right now, maybe I have the key?

here's a pic showing my LB has "v1.2" apparently. don't ask why I didn't just take a screenshot lol. normally it says v1.0 regardless...
edit: here's a helpful link for update instructions start to finish http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/infom.jsp?id=10100
Thanks for the pic, cool... it really is a fw1.2! too bad we can't save the orig firmware to file like with a PC videocard. I'm still waiting on my UP02 to update my fw1.0 LB.

I took my fw1.1 to the field to try some multi-flips, bit bummed that I didn't crane my neck far-back enough and missed a bunch that started too high to catch on vid.
My 1st flip attempt didn't work past 45deg... quickly realised I was in 6-axis mode.. and toggled accordingly.
Ladybird trying triples (4 min 29 sec)
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:39 AM
United States, MO, Grandview
Joined Feb 2012
111 Posts
Hi, I got my v929 today and its my first multirotor. I have only had a chance to run 2 batteries so far and I really enjoyed it. Now I want to get a smaller one and I'm thinking about the walkera v1 since I already have a devo7 but I would really like to know more about the v1 and v2 differences, pros cons. I really don't need the cheap transmitter but its actually cheaper still for the v2 rtf.
mstopps is offline Find More Posts by mstopps
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:24 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Good questions. I heard it's not to much of a difference.
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Last edited by rcgchris; Sep 29, 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,218 Posts
Basically both versions have the three axis gyro, but only v1 has the accelorometer which is why it can be labeled as 6 axis. The v2 is 3 axis only. Not necessarily a bad thing. On version 1 you can switch between flying in 6 axis mode or 3 axis mode. Most people fly in 3 axis mode all the time so that's why many think the v2 ladybird is pretty much just as good.
However with the price nitroplanes is selling the v1 with a 2402d tx it's probably your best bet. Since you already have a devo7 you could sell the 2402d and probably end up with a v1 that's only about $30.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Basically both versions have the three axis gyro, but only v1 has the accelorometer which is why it can be labeled as 6 axis. The v2 is 3 axis only. Not necessarily a bad thing. On version 1 you can switch between flying in 6 axis mode or 3 axis mode. Most people fly in 3 axis mode all the time so that's why many think the v2 ladybird is pretty much just as good.
However with the price nitroplanes is selling the v1 with a 2402d tx it's probably your best bet. Since you already have a devo7 you could sell the 2402d and probably end up with a v1 that's only about $30.
What's the difference between 3 and 6-axis? Is it that returning the right stick to centre won't centre the controls in 3 but will in 6? I'm very confused.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection