Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Oh seems like all others but me have the questions answered! Thanks Chris & magic!
Its like magic said only simple mod needed for devo8 but need additional mod for devo6 to work with flysky protocol.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:51 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
its actually pretty simple. 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz for the purposes of this issue.

so the only difference really between most of the protocols is not hardware but software IE LANGUAGE

you can speak english you can learn and speak spanish. same mouth same vocal coords same brain. You just "reprogram" your brain for the new language.

same here. the custom firmware "teaches" the remote multiple languages so when it "speaks" the RX understands.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post

so the only difference really between most of the protocols is not hardware but software IE LANGUAGE

you can speak english you can learn and speak spanish. same mouth same vocal coords same brain. You just "reprogram" your brain for the new language.

same here. the custom firmware "teaches" the remote multiple languages so when it "speaks" the RX understands.
Very nice analogy. Makes it crystal clear.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:

I'm not really certain you understand how transmitters or any radio electronics work. If that's the case than you can control your plane with your average wireless router, and quite a few cordless phones. If there's no difference than there's no reason to install a module to make 9x protocol work, and all the modules in the market would be the same with different software.

The primary differences, as far as I know, lie mainly in how the frequency hopping works between technology a and technology b, I don't believe this is handled strictly on the software side of things, receivers will only receive a correctly coded signal. This is why many 2.4ghz radios can operate in unison, but is also why making a one radio fits all solution is a bit more difficult than purely coding.

My thoughts are either that Walkera closely matched the dsm specs which made it only a coding issue, or else it is using some sort of SDR that allows it to work this way.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,746 Posts
The compatibility lies in different layers. Not only the physical layer (e.g. 2.4 GHz band) has to be compatible, the remaining layers on top as part of the entire protocol stack have to be compatible as well. It does not mean compatibility is impossible. At the software or firmware level, upper layers of the protocol stack can coded and manipulated.

Similarly, a wireless router, having the necessary hardware and software components, can communicate with a DECT handset or a Bluetooth device.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,818 Posts
if you go to the deviation site and read thru the forum it might give you a better understanding on how they got it to work....i do know it took them a long time to get it working reliable enough to release it for download...and there has been a couple of updates to adress a few bugs ...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
skitchen you clearly missed the "for the purpose of this issue" proviso.

your punishment is to reread the post 100 times and then come back.

I was "simplifying" it to make it understandable.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,818 Posts
one thing to remember is if you try the Deviation firmware and decide you don't like it you can always go back to the Devention firmware easily ....it also stores your models from the devention when you switch to deviation so if you do go back the model files are still there...i don't know why anybody would want to go back but i guess its possible...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
skitchen you clearly missed the "for the purpose of this issue" proviso.

your punishment is to reread the post 100 times and then come back.

I was "simplifying" it to make it understandable.
I wasn't looking for a simplified answer, I was looking for an answer that, well... actually answered my question. Your punishment is to read through the whole forum on that site until you can answer the question while I relax with my favorite cold Canadian pilsner and try to keep my eyes focused enough to see my cell phone screen.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
clearly my answer is sufficiently correct since the ONLY change you need to make is to "SOFTWARE" which is "LANGUAGE"

ie no hardware modifications are needed. so my description is correct.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I asked how it is done though, saying it is possible through software doesn't actually answer the question of how. Obviously it is done through software, that was explained with the not requiring hardware modification part. My curiosity lies in how exactly that works because if all protocols were only differentiated by software as you claim then a) 9x compatibility wouldn't require a hardware mod, b) er9x would have all the same control everything features and c) it would include every 2.4ghz radio system instead of the few that it does.

If somebody asks how rockets work and I say "with fire" I am right, but don't come any closer to answering the question that was posed.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:46 AM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,818 Posts
i believe the flysky module is needed cause it wont bind due to the walkera module not being able to receive ....to put it simplier it needs a hand shake to be able to bind..once its made it recognizes it from then on with a fixed ID generated with the initail bind...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:06 AM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
I did not say all protocols. clearly only the protocols "ITS COMPATIBLE WITH" require only a software change IE it already posesses the hardware "needed" for the protocols the firmware is designed for.

clearly it "lacks" the hardware needed for the 911 units so you have to hardware mod.

as for how exactly? do you understand programming? if yes they I would suggest you goto the authors and ask them.

but if you don't understand programming your not going to understand their reply because you don't "speak the language"

No I don't understand programming no I don't "speak the language"

I just understand the gist of what they did.

they "taught" the devo hardware how to speak other languages.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Obviously the deviation is working and communicating now..so just install and enjoy the firmware Unless if i can contribute, otherwise i will leave it as it is...cheer!

And I did load back on devention software just to make sure everythings work if i decided not to use the deviation and it did work...but after playing with it, I love it!
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:46 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
So do I understand correctly that the Deviation firmware only works on the Devo 8 and Devo 6? Not on the Devo 10 nor the Devo 7E?

Gerard.
gwrivest is online now Find More Posts by gwrivest