United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
My non-technical 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
How do compare Mqx and Udi 816?
  • MqX is bigger then Udi 816
  • UDI can be flown in living rooms.. MqX flying indoors requires a large room or good piloting skills
  • Udi 816 can do flips indoors requiring between 3-6 feet of clearance (it also has an auto-flip button), the MqX would be very difficult to do any flips indoors as it typically requires about 10-15 feet of clearance.
  • MqX can handle upto 10mile/hr wind and it is heavier and by this very virtue a little more stable in wind... UDI 816 is not going to be a predictable flyer outdoors, if wind is more than 5 miles/hr.
  • MqX can be flown with the popular Spektrum DX6i, but UDI 816 is limited to the transmitter it comes with (there is nothing bad with that transmitter either).
  • MqX is $169 for RTF model, whereas UDI 816 is only $35 at Banggood for RTF model.
My preference would have been a smaller mini quad like the UDI 816 if I didn't already have the MqX.

For someone, who wants to try their hands on flying a quad without spending a lot of money, I think $35 for UDI 816 (or similar quad) would be a good option.
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
These three Quads, which ones handles wind and more stable?
I would say the MQX in the hands of a good pilot would be best in the wind but the x100 (which is tiny) has six axis so it is very stable which can actually hamper ability in wind (but I haven't taken it outside yet.) it a great flyer indoors. The x1 is very stable as well. In my experience the ones that are less stable do better in wind because of the agility. The MQX be design is meant to be fairly acrobatic on high rates.
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,279 Posts
I heard that the ladybird was better in the wind than the mQX.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I heard that the ladybird was better in the wind than the mQX.
Quite possibly. I can't speak to that since I don't have one but my mjx x100 is similar I guess... maybe someone who has one both can chime in
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,220 Posts
I think my mqx/ladybird hybrid outflies my mqx in the winds. It amazes me something is small can handle winds so well. That's why I love these quads. They are enjoyable even in some wind whereas my micro planes get bumped around by winds so it kind of loses the fun of flying.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:40 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
945 Posts
I have both the QR Ladybird and the V929 Beetle and I would say that the Ladybird is on top when it comes to handling the wind. Those direct drive props and the increased head speed help it to navigate through some windy weather that would have the V929 really fighting to stay level.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,279 Posts
Perhaps there is more surface area on the bigger quad to affect as well. But the direct drive propeller still likely have an advantage. And it's accelerometer should help smooth any input to the aircraft that isn't sent by the pilot.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
the lady bird gyro's/acc's are fantastic and it handles wind likes its nothing. really impressive.

the stabilization on the 816 is much more sloppy so its less reliable in wind especially with gyro drift that is more present in the 816.

how do you flip the 816? I know about the auto flip button but it sounds like your saying it can do command flips as well ? how?
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
945 Posts
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a battery that will fit both the QR Ladybird and the Genius CP was thinking about ordering some from Hobby King these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

and these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

or these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Mini_CP_.html

Has anybody tried any of these and how did it fit and perform?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:13 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
^ I would stay away from the 260mah packs mine die faster than stock now, and those 300mah packs weigh virtually the same. just gotta make sure the plugs have the right polarity with the 300mah packs!

I own both the mqx and the ladybird v1, and in the wind I have to give the edge to the LB! it is surprisingly more stable, as Dayroon noted it appears that the 'oversized' mqx props seem to get caught more in the wind than the 'undersized' LB props. this is especially noticeable flying directly into the wind. the mqx is much slower, constantly getting pushed up and down by the current. the LB is able to quite literally cut through the wind much more efficiently. even though it's smaller and lighter, it can hovers more stable with your hands off the sticks too. with the mqx I am constantly making little adjustments. the mqx is nice and docile, but the LB leaves me feeling more impressed. I love them both! *just from my experience*
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
something to say about old farts daryoon?
:d
+1
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:41 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,220 Posts
Thought I'd post a few pics of the Endless Evolution Canopy for the mqx. It would also work for the v929 I assume or most other similarly sized quads. The lights use the mqx connector for the lights so you would either have to add a connection for the v929 lead or hardwire it in. Either way it's a super nice canopy and so far hasn't had any ill effects on the flight characteristics of my mqx.

jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,668 Posts
As a long-time Ladybird proponent and cheerleader , I would agree that the Ladybird is superb in the wind especially in 6-axis mode.
In 6-axis mode It is sooo stable that once I point her in any direction, I have the confidence in knowing that the wind cannot knock her off-course as the 3-axis accelerometers make sure of that. Also when I am flying high fast circuits around the park, it is very comforting knowing that I don't have to worry about the wind and can fully concentrate on flying and distance turns.

The Ladybird is even very stable in 3-axis mode, I only started to fly in 3-axis mode when I started learning how to flip the Ladybird on Sept. 9th... so I'm noobish to 3-axis/3D mode heheh At the park a few days later it was very windy! but I decided to test my noob skills in it anyways, and was suprised my 1.0 firmware Ladybird could handle flipping and rolling in the stiff winds and gusts so well! Current firmware Ladybirds have much better throttle range/control, so should be even better when recovering.

the video for your enjoyment.... darn kids... *grumble* heh
Ladybird windy stunt flight (6 min 2 sec)

so anyone looking for a micro "Wind Warrior" Quad that has laser-like flight precision and onboard voltage Telemetry(V.1)... look no further!
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:41 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Wow! Stiff wind indeed!
Very nice video, thanks for sharing
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
320 Posts
Nice flying! I'm waiting for my ordered Lady Bird.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen