HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,433 Posts
You have been flying the V949 to gain that experience?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:08 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
i have flown a v939 that has now prematurely burned out 2 motors using too big battery and have also burned out 2 other v939 motors on my own diy version. and ill also mention it flies really crappy with the 600mah lipos. if it got twice the flight time it might be worth it but that dont happen.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickz88 View Post
No, you are mistaken. The 5001 means 5 batteries. Also, the shipment weight is five times the weight of the shipment weight of a single battery. Each battery weighs 20 grams and the package weight is 100 grams. That is no coincidence.
Lmao @ this statement. Must be they use 0g of packaging. I wish people would only give advice when they actually had a vague idea of what their talking about. I read somewhere I could get 2,012 VW Jettas for only $20k. I wonder what year they were made though

I'll also note I fly exclusively with 600 mah batteries and have had zero problems.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
i have crossed the street at least 3000 times and NEVER got hit by a truck. so.... we can assume this kind of thing just never happens.

the change in flight character is up for opinion but i guarantee every gram you add to the airframe shortens motor life. and also affects crash damage. ymmv... but will always be less with more weight.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Simmer down, I was just sharing my experience. Flying it decreases the life of the motors so are you suggesting you also simply shouldn't connect a battery to it at all and instead hold it up in the air and making whirring noises to maximize motor life?

I would actually beg to differ however, my experience is flying with heavier batteries and a camera and clearly my motors have lasted longer than yours. If we are basing our opinions on one person's experiences then adding weight increases lifespan
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
hey chill. i wasnt attacking you (THIS time. ). and holding it up in the air making whirring sound will definitely increase life of motors. but note that too small a battery extends motor life too but cooks the lipo. these are not just my opinion but well known principles of rc model design. you are of course entitled to your own theories.

and i doubt your motors last significantly longer on average than mine all things equal. my comment was based on recent experience with 30 or so motors with somewhere between 1200-1500 flights (depending on what you call a "flight").
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,109 Posts
Hey guys don't know if anyone is interested but I have two evil bug canopies that work for the v929 that I'm selling for $17 shipped. I bought them to put on my mqx but unfortunately due to the way the board sits on the mqx frame. I know though they fit on the v929 since that's what they were made for. They cost me $21 shipped from France and took almost two weeks to get here. I will ship from US so it will only take a few days. Really cool canopies. Pretty down that they don't work on the mqx.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348153186.232826.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 146.6 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348153216.658230.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 115.2 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348153245.356441.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 105.8 KB
Description:

You can find information here:

v929 evil bug canopy
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
hey chill. i wasnt attacking you (THIS time. ). and holding it up in the air making whirring sound will definitely increase life of motors. but note that too small a battery extends motor life too but cooks the lipo. these are not just my opinion but well known principles of rc model design. you are of course entitled to your own theories.

and i doubt your motors last significantly longer on average than mine all things equal. my comment was based on recent experience with 30 or so motors with somewhere between 1200-1500 flights (depending on what you call a "flight").
call them "missions" and you wont have to sweat the definition of "flight" anymore ...

oh, and btw, your moniker is false advertising
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post

My experience is mainly in smashing it into things to be honest.

I also don't use bigger batteries for any reason other than they don't make nano techs in 500 mah. So far I have had good luck with the Turnigy batteries so I just wanted to stick with what I know.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
My experience is mainly in smashing it into things to be honest.
i KNOW im better at that than you. im probably worst pilot here.

and im not saying using the v929 lipo will kill your v939 motors right away. from tests i estimate around 150 flights average with 300mah and maybe 90-100 with 600mah before they start to heat up or "click". like you i also use the bigger ones a lot. but thats mostly because i HATE changing batteries. specially annoying until they fix that re-bind bug. and also i can afford to because i got BUCKETS of replacement motors sitting around now (slight exaggeration).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:00 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
oh, and btw, your moniker is false advertising
hahahaha... actually i AM still a teenager. for at least a few more weeks anyway. if anything the beginner status is misleading because ive been doing this rc stuff for 4 years now. considering how fast technology advances imo this gives me an advantage over the guys whove been doing it for 40-50 years. most of those old timers have a "gas" problem.

but the rc beginner title does get some of the blowhards in radio forum worked up when they see how arrogant and sarcastic i can be. uppity dave! lol! i love it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,026 Posts
The way you bicker sometimes, I thought you were an old fart. j/k

I thought the dave1993 moniker was from the movie?

Actually, I've learn there are two version of you. There's a nice, helpful Dave. And this Hyde character that looks to be argumentative. For kicks, I was gonna use this app to chart when Mr Hyde comes out.

@jlcamp7
Is that canopy really 8g?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Actually, I've learn there are two version of you. There's a nice, helpful Dave. And this Hyde character that looks to be argumentative. For kicks, I was gonna use this app to chart when Mr Hyde comes out.
the ol' lady has been known to use the term "bipolar" during some arguments and i dont think she was referring to transistors.

an cool it wid de clot rag insults mon! lol!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,109 Posts
Can't comment on the weight of the canopy as I don't have a gram digital scale. I will say that they are a harder thicker plastic. Completely different than the thin flexible stock canopy.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I thought you were an old fart. j/k
Something to say about old farts Daryoon?
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem