Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:52 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Walkera QR Ladybird Quadcopter Attacks
Uh oh... Rise of the Machines...is Walkera a front for Cyberdyne?

I came across an ebay store selling the Min Pet and in the description (and on the pictured box) it states that it also has the "6-axis" setup, which makes it seem as though it is a clone of the Ladybird v1. In the title for the listing they call it a WLToys Honey Bee, although I see no mention of WLToys on the box pic.
But Perhaps it might be worth adding that it has 6-axis to the description in the first post.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:17 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
Uh oh... Rise of the Machines...is Walkera a front for Cyberdyne?

I came across an ebay store selling the Min Pet and in the description (and on the pictured box) it states that it also has the "6-axis" setup, which makes it seem as though it is a clone of the Ladybird v1. In the title for the listing they call it a WLToys Honey Bee, although I see no mention of WLToys on the box pic.
But Perhaps it might be worth adding that it has 6-axis to the description in the first post.
Yes, this appear as 6 "axis" also somewhere else:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mi...f-p-47741.html

The other cheap 6 axis is : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...o-p-48726.html

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,266 Posts
Hey guys I will be receiving a mini pet for review and we will see if it flies well. It is not manufactured by WLToys as far as I know...not sure on the six axis.
The MJX has six axis and is available on BG right now.
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Hey guys I will be receiving a mini pet for review and we will see if it flies well. It is not manufactured by WLToys as far as I know...not sure on the six axis.
The MJX has six axis and is available on BG right now.
Actually BG has both for 47$ and 43$ respectively ... with the MiniPet the cheapest one.

The MJX is out of stock in BG now ... so it is not really available, or at least ... it has 5 days restocking delay

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I'm amazed how can BG blow away in the comparison of the price including shipping with the most known HobbyKing ... I welcome competition ... just a bit surprise that my original assumpiton that HK had always the best or almost best price is failing aways now ... but ... maybe HK is more specialized in different RC items ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That is a great thread! The guys there really helped me. I did not know a damned thing about quads, or Arduino, or MultiWii or anything. If you can solder and use a screwdriver, you can build this quad. Now my X250 flies like a dream and the auto-level has saved a few crashes. The funniest thing was when I set the barometer on by accident and couldn't get the damn quad to change altitude. Here's mine (it comes with 12 big LEDs):
You recommended a quad to me when I was looking for a larger FP, but they looked to funny and finding out if I would like flying one was expensive.

Now with cheap quads becoming the "gateway drug" to quads (I bought a V929) I might have to build one of these this fall!

The kid in me still requires a cool canopy though!

Still being somewhat of an RC noob, I think I could build this using a Walkera Rx so that I can fly it with my 2801Pro - am I correct? Which Rx?
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,523 Posts
Another quick impression of the UDI U816

Just got my UDI U816 while waiting for the v939 to come out. Even though I knew it was small, nothing really prepared me for just how tiny it is.

I like it. Mainly flew indoors - it's quite windy outside - but it takes new skills to fly it compared to the v929.

Getting it to hover took a few goes, as it's a little more sensitive to throttle than I was used to, and I had it going up and down like a yo-yo. I was used to the MQx and v929 which hover fairly easily, but once it was set, it sat there like... a weird little UFO would. I almost immediately put some small foam squares on the feet, as the sound of it hitting my hardwood floors was worrying... for the floors... it wasn't bothered at all. Props flew off when it hit furniture; I clicked them back on and off it went. If two of the same colour come off, make sure they go on the right motors, as one will be CW and the other CCW.

It was trimmed perfectly right out of the box and with the two speed modes it's a blast. I started to enjoy the faster response of high speed - as I felt the Low speed mode was a little bit laggy compared to the v929 and MQX (and the High speed mode), although it could have been the accelerometers dampening movement - but don't really have the room for it indoors. I quickly burned through the two batteries without testing very much, but it flies remarkably well with an 808 camera strapped underneath it. Without the camera, it hovers at 60% throttle and with it, at 90% and is surprisingly still very responsive with the extra weight: 35g normally (including a few g of foam), 52g with the camera.

See the very short video which in the current winds would have been impossible to do with the v929.
It's a pretty bad outside video (was much smoother inside with no wind, but where's the challenge in that? ), so I will come back and edit in a better one later, but there is no Jello.
u816 (0 min 14 sec)

I only did one flip - by accident - from about 4ft up and it just made it with inches of ground clearance to spare, then I panicked and shut off the throttle.

Specifications all says it has a 6 axis gyro (or 3 gyros, 3 accelerometers if you prefer ) and I think that's accurate. When it is hovering, if you give it a little flick on the right stick: it will nod and move a few inches, then go back to a stationary hover. This self-stabilisation could have been what I thought was slight lag on Low speed mode, but I actually got used to it by the third battery. Longer movement in a particular direction will keep it going when you release the stick. No idea if that's what the 6 axis gyro Walkera Ladybird V1 also does, so will be interesting to compare to the v939 when it arrives.

The radio is good, looks almost like the v929, but takes 4 rather than 6 AAs. It feels fairly solid, the display is nice and clear and displays the throttle in big illuminated digits. The throttle trim switch is a dummy, but the others all work fine. When doing pirouettes there is the tiniest bit more friction in the throttle than my v929, so it is possible to stay at the same height, whereas with the v929 being a tiny bit looser I tend to drift up or down. Considering how sensitive this is to hovering on a steady throttle, that's nice. Or maybe I'm getting better at it.
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 02, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:26 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
@Brandigan

You sound like I did when I first got the U816. Curious to see what you think of it once the newness wears off.

In my experience, I too thought it took new skills to master that quad....but after going through 11 batteries....I never got acclimated to the controls and response or better after the 3rd battery unlike the v929....I adjusted during the first flight and improved every flight.
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
527 Posts
Good glad to hear a positive review on the UDI U816. Yes even on the box it says 6 axis, not sure why everybody keeps saying none of these have anything but 3 axis. But no one contradicts that for the mini pet mentioned above.

I think we need somebody who has flown the Walkera ladybird to give reviews on the smaller quads, comparing it to the V929 or MQX is not the same comparison. They fly differently.

Bobepine (username) who has flown the Walkera Ladybird gave a good review of the SH-6043 as well.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
6 axis generally means a 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer.

Brandigan , if i hover my v929 and nudge the stick in one direction it too moves straight back to hovering after a second maybe less an accelerometer should help it hold position rather than level.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:37 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Good glad to hear a positive review on the UDI U816. Yes even on the box it says 6 axis, not sure why everybody keeps saying none of these have anything but 3 axis. But no one contradicts that for the mini pet mentioned above.

I think we need somebody who has flown the Walkera ladybird to give reviews on the smaller quads, comparing it to the V929 or MQX is not the same comparison. They fly differently.

Bobepine (username) who has flown the Walkera Ladybird gave a good review of the SH-6043 as well.
I myself have not compared it to the v929.....it's without a doubt that it will and should fly differently just by the size and prop differences.
If I mention the v929, it's its exclusive to the experience.....not flight characteristics, although they go hand in hand....the tuning is off and it's obvious on the first flight but denial will make you blind to it for a bit as you try to make yourself love it and think you can master it or acquire a new set of skills.

Edit: you ordered one right? You'll see....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:19 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
When doing pirouettes there is the tiniest bit more friction in the throttle than my v929, so it is possible to stay at the same height, whereas with the v929 being a tiny bit looser I tend to drift up or down. Considering how sensitive this is to hovering on a steady throttle, that's nice. Or maybe I'm getting better at it.
I'm leaning towards the fact that it pivots painfully slower than what you're used to. Not to compare but it's to be expected of any quad I buy for it's size, it should be able to pivot far faster than the v929. I think the designers restricted it far too much, but in turn....it lends to a more stable piro.

To me, it's like they dumbed down all the wrong things. If I slowly maneuver.....like in their product videos....it's okay. But go as fast as some scenes of their product videos....you'll be editing as much as they did. Have a look at both the videos that have been out and give a few days....you'll laugh as much as I did. You'll then realize that all those splices in the video were not to shorten the length, lol
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
6 axis generally means a 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer.

Brandigan , if i hover my v929 and nudge the stick in one direction it too moves straight back to hovering after a second maybe less an accelerometer should help it hold position rather than level.
Yes, 3 gyro and 3 accerometers is what it's got. I think I didn't make myself clear:

On my v929 if I get it in a stable hover and flick the right stick, it will nod in the right direction, level itself out, then keep drifting in that direction.
On the U816, it stops moving after the nod and goes back to a stationary hover, which I assume is the accelerometers doing their job.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
I'm leaning towards the fact that it pivots painfully slower than what you're used to. Not to compare but it's to be expected of any quad I buy for it's size, it should be able to pivot far faster than the v929. I think the designers restricted it far too much, but in turn....it lends to a more stable piro.
....>8
You want to talk about slow pirouettes? Try the MQX at 75% Dual rate mode. The v929 is much faster and at each setting - 20%, 40%, 60%, 100% - the Yaw gets faster along with the Pitch and Roll settings.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:04 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
You want to talk about slow pirouettes? Try the MQX at 75% Dual rate mode. The v929 is much faster and at each setting - 20%, 40%, 60%, 100% - the Yaw gets faster along with the Pitch and Roll settings.
I will give it this...,.it can take a beating. I crash anywhere from 8-15 times indoors and I've only busted one blade...but lost two outdoors. The one I did break was actually weakened by the postal service as one side of the box was crushed and that blade was bent.

I don't know the specs of the v929 battery, but it flies even faster with it. The connectors fit a little snug, but no mods needed.....you just have to balance the battery on every crash or rough landing, but the same goes for the stock u816 battery. So if you're waiting for the u816 batteries to charge, no need.....put a v929 battery in it and keep practicing.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Yes, 3 gyro and 3 accerometers is what it's got. I think I didn't make myself clear:

On my v929 if I get it in a stable hover and flick the right stick, it will nod in the right direction, level itself out, then keep drifting in that direction.
On the U816, it stops moving after the nod and goes back to a stationary hover, which I assume is the accelerometers doing their job.
Ahhh gotcha , yeah thats the accel , nice

will it bind with the 9x ?
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief