HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
3,017 Posts
Hrm if only one had the skills/time/money making a diy cp quad wouldnt be impossible/insanley expensive, all one would need is to murder 4 mini's/mcpx bnf's. Remove the rx boards & tailbooms, use servos for pitch control and wire the main motors to the quad controller. Guesstimated needed budget : 600$ ($469.00 for 4x brushless c05m setups using chinese jade prices for the parts) but one would get one damn awesome brushless quad heh.

@skitchen8
Could you not reduce the vibrations on the camera by suspending it with rubber bands? that should take care of most of the vibrations, at the expense of it bouncing around somewhat on aggressive maneuvers.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Last edited by Xermalk; Sep 13, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,293 Posts
Another new canopy on ebay for v929/mqx. With lights.

Endless Revolution
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,867 Posts
Quote:
v929 is quicker and more responsive than my full size quads
What? Dunno about your quads... But here's one I have that is smaller than the 929:
Bambucopter Crab 25 (10 min 27 sec)

And here's a 400 size quad I also have:

FlyDuino Frame / Awesome Frame / Awesome Performance (10 min 39 sec)

Trying to compare these quads to the 929 is like trying to compare a Lada and a Ferrari.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Hrm if only one had the skills/time/money making a diy cp quad wouldnt be impossible/insanley expensive, all one would need is to murder 4 mini's/mcpx bnf's. Remove the rx boards & tailbooms, use servos for pitch control and wire the main motors to the quad controller.

could you not reduce the vibrations on the camera by suspending it with rubber bands? that should take care of most of the vibrations, at the expense of it bouncing around somewhat on aggressive maneuvers.
Well, depending on the frequency of vibrations a rubber band mount can actually amplify vibrations, and on the mini quads you would have to have really long landing gear to prevent the camera from hitting first on rough landings.

As far as the variable pitch it isn't quite that easy, the fc boards off the shelf aren't meant to control servos but rather speed of escs so you may not get the results you would want without customizing an fc or finding one that supports this functionality. Tail rotors are what have been used for every VP quad I have stumbled upon on this forum, as then that whole mechanism is already made, complete with a way to drive it as well. There's a lot of advantages to this, including keeping the cog at the center of the quad, but with the 4 servos and added complexity of the pitch change mechanisms you're putting a bit much weight for these micro quads. I think it would actually be cheaper and easier to make it bigger. Just my opinion though, take it for what it is worth (very little).
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
i just have to save up enough money for a quad that can lift 4-5 pounds (full size DSLR) and put the GPS system on it :-) then I can just put it where I want tell it to hold position pick up my second tx for a PTX mount and take my pictures. then tell it to fly back and land at my feet :-) hehe

yeah I know around $3000 eventually.

bopepine. your sick dude. if I had a fraction of that skill....
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Anybody saw the hubsan x1 already?
Only 6x6cm new bugger
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Last edited by rcgchris; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris View Post
Anybody saw the hinab x1 already?
Only 6x6cm new bugger
Link please.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Another new canopy on ebay for v929/mqx. With lights.

Endless Revolution
Nice! simple & sleek...
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
I want a camera platform so I want something "less" frisky :-)
actually camera is mostly plagued by "jello" effect which has almost nothing to do with frisky. it is vibrations that cause the most trouble there. and the smaller the quad the larger the amplitude and higher the frequency. damping materials are tricky. resonances and other factors can cause things like foam and velcro to make it worse instead of better unless you are lucky to hit the right combination.

if you want good video get a full size quad or tricopter. you would have much better luck with 3d and inverted flight experiments too.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmonwakin View Post
Looks like the Call of Duty franchise is trying to entice game sales with quads of their own......but knowing them, the whole "special edition" package will be outrageously priced. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...ions-revealed/

I am curious how it may fly though, lol
Anybody have any guesses if this quad rotor heli from the game will be any good? I mean will it be a 2.4ghz heli or some IR junk?
Kamakzie is offline Find More Posts by Kamakzie
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Finally I painted my Syma X1 UFO
Painting is not my thing. So I am pretty satisfied with my work.
zxfly is offline Find More Posts by zxfly
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
I have no concern about jello. not only is the #16 light years ahead of the camera's I started with regarding jello video but I have gotten quite proficient at removing the jello problems.

jello no jello is absolutely irrelevant if I can't enact reasonable control over the vehicle.

full size quad is not even on the table. I simply lack that kind of funding :-) hehe

I personally have no interest directly in 3D flying. I lack the eyesight and the hand eye coordination and "speed" needed for 3D flying.

I have BOXES of dampening material. I herald from the 5in1 edvr and pen cam trio days. I am well aware of and versed on "jello" issues :-) it won't be a problem for me.
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
If you want good video get a full size quad or tricopter. you would have much better luck with 3d and inverted flight experiments too.
Something like this: http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-fr...-fpv-quad.html

I have complete part list, around ~500$ to setup this quad fully with fpv, gopro, spare lipos etc ...

I just cannot convince my mind, to pull the triger on smth that expensive ... plus i'm waiting for CC3D board release.
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
wait. a gopro is $300 your telling me you can do that for $200?

I just went to your link THE AIRFRAME ALONE AND BARE is $200

alas right now that is simply far beyond what my budget can afford.

eventually. given time eventually :-)

eventually I WOULD LOVE a quad where I don't even fly it. where it flies itself and I simply give it instructions.

load up google maps and tell it "fly here" by touching the map. increase altitude to 200ft. lower altitude to 100ft Fly from this point (touch map) to this point (touch map) at 10mph. at 30mph etc.. etc..

once I get it where I want it I tell it "stay"

or

Draw a line on the map "circling" my target and say follow this path repeat at altitude of 150ft and 5mph - execute. and then I ignore the copter and immerse my self in the FPV and get my footage :-)

then pull out the second TX attached to a PTZ and shoot to my hearts content.

I think the TECH is here for this already its just not integrated and or mature yet. I think once the djii gps getup etc.. gets cheaper and or more common your going to see someone make some android or windows software to "uplink" with the onboard unit and give it instructions.

it will be point and click.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Anybody have any guesses if this quad rotor heli from the game will be any good? I mean will it be a 2.4ghz heli or some IR junk?
Well, if the picture is true to the actual final retail product (I won't hold my breath on that one) I'm gonna assume it's 2.4ghz as the antennae looks like it...,.but again, wouldn't bet on it.
Anyway, I'll find out soon enough. My younger brother, (32 but acts like he's 16....life of a bachelor, *sigh*) is getting it....so he'll likely give it to me as a "gift" since he's not into r/c.

I don't expect it to do more than hover though.....with that foam ring, surely the weight will be a burden on both maneuverability and battery life.
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin