HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Even six axis would be okay, my beef is with the term six axis gyro because there is no such thing.
Fair enough!
Firehawk989 is online now Find More Posts by Firehawk989
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
I have been told the accelerometers help a lot with flying in the wind, so that would be a reason to get the V1 despite the increased cost.
I would disagree with that. After having both the Genius and Ladybird with "6 axis gyros" they are not nearly as effective as they should be. But, this is Walkeras first attempt and it usually takes them several tries. In any case, for attacking wind, you need something that will pitch into it very quickly with lots of movement authority. Attempting to level the heli or quad isn't going to accomplish much.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
I still see the mQx and V1 QR Ladybird (and their parts) on sale with no signs of being discontinued. With the Ladybird V1 vs. V2, the V1 has firmware upgrade capability and accelerometers. I have been told the accelerometers help a lot with flying in the wind, so that would be a reason to get the V1 despite the increased cost.
actually, as so many clones of ladrbird on markets with lower price, so walkera seems to put their own ladybird v2 to fight them with more lower price..but definitely, the original ladybird is still there, for its typical advantage..
WXIA is offline Find More Posts by WXIA
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I would disagree with that. After having both the Genius and Ladybird with "6 axis gyros" they are not nearly as effective as they should be. But, this is Walkeras first attempt and it usually takes them several tries. In any case, for attacking wind, you need something that will pitch into it very quickly with lots of movement authority. Attempting to level the heli or quad isn't going to accomplish much.
what is the real function for accelerometers??
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXIA View Post
what is the real function for accelerometers??
They determine what is level on all planes and will attempt to maintain or restore that position. But, they are usually much stronger and more persistent and require a channel to turn them on and off. You can be at a very sharp angle and if you hit the switch, the quad will level. I don't see anything close to that kind of capability being exhibited by any RTF quad or Walkera micro heli. Now it's quite possible they are using code that really mutes the accelerometer function.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:23 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXIA View Post
actually, as so many clones of ladrbird on markets with lower price, so walkera seems to put their own ladybird v2 to fight them with more lower price..but definitely, the original ladybird is still there, for its typical advantage..
I am not sure whether Walkera will be successful with that. It does not have the same brand recognition as the others in the toy market segment. Take our famous Apliu street in Hong Kong. Walkera helis up to the 4G6 and Creata used to be sold in hawker stands there. Now Walkera is nowhere to be seen. Whereas I have seen a number of the quads mentioned in this thread around.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Thanks for the quick tips Balr. and yes I would like you to share your Mcdougals top mod please... in pictures would be nice.
Ahhh a de-shelled RX might just fit under there... cool.
Just servo wires huh? nice, now to plan a trip out to the LHS... which is not so local to me unfortunately. *sigh*
I would like to see your x250 flying videos
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:27 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
... In any case, for attacking wind, you need something that will pitch into it very quickly with lots of movement authority. Attempting to level the heli or quad isn't going to accomplish much.
Accelerometers can be used for more than keeping an aircraft level (that is 0 pitch and roll angle relative to the earth). One can make a system where a stick position commands an aircraft to maintain some particular roll or pitch angle (5 degrees, 15 degrees, 45 degrees, etc.) relative to earth (use the accelerometers to measure the angle). I read about this with the Guardian gyro/accelerometer system. One can then vary the angle as needed to fight the wind. The accelerometers can also be used to help deal with drifting in the gyro calculations from repeated flipping, gusts of wind, etc.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I am not sure whether Walkera will be successful with that. It does not have the same brand recognition as the others in the toy market segment. Take our famous Apliu street in Hong Kong. Walkera helis up to the 4G6 and Creata used to be sold in hawker stands there. Now Walkera is nowhere to be seen. Whereas I have seen a number of the quads mentioned in this thread around.
It is not well known for walkera products in Hongkong? Anyway, the little quad does cause hot disscussion...haha..waiting for the new action of walkera...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
They determine what is level on all planes and will attempt to maintain or restore that position. But, they are usually much stronger and more persistent and require a channel to turn them on and off. You can be at a very sharp angle and if you hit the switch, the quad will level. I don't see anything close to that kind of capability being exhibited by any RTF quad or Walkera micro heli. Now it's quite possible they are using code that really mutes the accelerometer function.
Thanks very much for that. And expect for the perfect apply of accelerometer function....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,658 Posts
Seems to be some confusion here.

Accelerometers measure acceleration in a particular direction. So not like a gyro, which is for rotation.

So, they would be used to notice when a quad has been moved sideways - by a gust of wind, perhaps - and note that it wasn't told to do that by the person flying, and therefore could make some adjustment itself to counter that movement in the opposite direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

Here's a snippet to clarify: "An accelerometer thus measures all accelerations, except those accelerations due to gravity....All of these measurable accelerations are not the ordinary acceleration of Newton (in three dimensions), but rather four-acceleration, which is acceleration away from a geodesic path in four-dimensional space-time."
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 02, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:52 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Good post. I welcome our micro quad overlords.
Walkera QR Ladybird Quadcopter Attacks (3 min 25 sec)
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:14 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Seems to be some confusion here.

Accelerometers measure acceleration in a particular direction. So not like a gyro, which is for rotation.

So, they would be used to notice when a quad has been moved sideways - by a gust of wind, perhaps - and note that it wasn't told to do that by the person flying, and therefore could make some adjustment itself to counter that movement in the opposite direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

Here's a snippet to clarify: "An accelerometer thus measures all accelerations, except those accelerations due to gravity....All of these measurable accelerations are not the ordinary acceleration of Newton (in three dimensions), but rather four-acceleration, which is acceleration away from a geodesic path in four-dimensional space-time."
I don't really like the except for gravity part in that definition. In reality they work by comparing each axis to gravity. With an accelerometer sitting still you will measure 1g of downward force. And 0g on the other two axis. Turn it on its side and you get 1g on the downward axis and 0 on the others. At a 45 degree angle you'll get roughly .5 g on two of the axis. Take an accelerometer out in space away from any large gravity producing objects and it will tell you absolutely nothing. Accelerometers measure acceleration and gyros measure roll rate, both in three dimensions.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:49 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Guys, please keep the discussion on topic. I think it's getting rather sidetracked ...Thanks!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 02, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:59 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
I would like to see your x250 flying videos
I can't wait until I am able too!

For those that like to fly in wind and don't have a Ladybird V1 yet, what are you waiting for? Get one, It's a sophisticated flying machine! or get a HortenX the big ladybird ?

Hahah Cool video Zadaw! It was rather entertaining and well done.
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb