HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:37 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Well, it's not real tic-tocs, I suppose. But the idea was to demonstrate full control over a flip as opposed to auto flip. What I call tic-tocs, if you're able to see it in the video, aren't slow manual flips. If you look closely, you'll see that the quad never actually flips a full rotation. It goes inverted and then it flips back the opposite direction. In other words, it goes 1/2 back flip into an inverted position, and then 1/2 front flip back to an upright position. The quad essentially does only half a flip and then I bring it back to upright with opposite rotation. Let me make another video for the heck of it, and I'll demonstrate it better.

Best,
Chris
That would be great! Thanks for explaining it, I knew I must have missed something as I thought it was just a regular manual flip. It would be nice to see stick movements at the same time so that I (and others) could learn how to do a real manual flip (or half a flip and back.) Have you (or anyone else) been able to do a manual flip on the v929?

Merci mon ami,

Gerard.
gwrivest is online now Find More Posts by gwrivest
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:51 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
(or anyone else) been able to do a manual flip n the v929?
Im doing manual flips, at 60% rates, every day.

You just need enough altitude and courage, to hold the stick

I crashed many times inverted, before i managed to manual flip it.
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:00 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
That's good to know. I have my TH9X set up with 85 or 90% for high rates and I've only tried doing a flip a couple of times and always crash landed it inverted. Guess I'll have to try it from higher up until I learn how to do it correctly.

Gerard.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
It's actually hard to describe, but correct throttle movements are the key to sucessfull manual flip.

One must enter the rotation with quite strong throttle and possibily a lot of speed, then you must gradually decrease the power to almost zero, as soon as it flipped over and is still inverted start to gradually increase thrust to get out of danger.

You need A LOT altitude. Getting into headwind also makes it easier.

For you 9x guys it should be butter w/ peanuts

If i understand correcty with 9x you can go to 90% without activating auto flip ?

I read its different depends on stock vs er9x firmware - a bit confused ...
Last edited by shafter; Sep 04, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
It's actually hard to describe, but correct throttle movements are the key to sucessfull manual flip.

One must enter the rotation with quite strong throttle and possibily a lot of speed, then you must gradually decrease the power to almost zero, as soon as it flipped over and is still inverted start to gradually increase thrust to get out of danger.
Below is a thread with some slow motion videos on manual flipping.
I learned to flip a quad watching some of these videos (goes without saying that these videos are from somebody much better than my beginner self).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428309
"stick video"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
You need A LOT altitude. Getting into headwind also makes it easier.
From experience with an mQx, I can tell you that with enough altitude, you may be able to flip even if you more or less botch the throttle movement (like just keeping at fairly high throttle throughout the flip) .

But how much altitude? In my case, with an mQx at high rates (100%+), when I was first trying to flip, I would start at the height of a 70 foot plus tree (estimated with a 20 foot pole and some geometry) and the mQx would drop more than 1/2 of that height on the flip.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,200 Posts
Hey thanks FL for that awesome link! I subscribed so I can easily find it when needed.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
That would be great! Thanks for explaining it, I knew I must have missed something as I thought it was just a regular manual flip. It would be nice to see stick movements at the same time so that I (and others) could learn how to do a real manual flip (or half a flip and back.) Have you (or anyone else) been able to do a manual flip on the v929?

Merci mon ami,

Gerard.
Pas de trouble, mon homme. I talk way too much in that video... But there's some flying, too. Problem is I keep rambling while flying, too. I threw in some quadruple flips in there just for good measure.

Control flips vs auto flips+some rambling+quadruple flip (11 min 6 sec)

Salut!

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Sep 04, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
Thank you Chris for the video. You made everything very clear and I was able to see what you were talking about the half flip and back.
Merci encore mon ami,

Gerard.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,454 Posts
Nice video Chris. I think that multicopter acro movement is more aptly called a flip-flop...
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:56 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
All that video did was make me want a real hobby quad even more. All that wind blowing the shrubs around and that little quad seemed unaffected. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the users ability to pilot, but nevertheless it cut through obvious strong winds like nothing. Must resist! My four kids must...have....a....Christmas!
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Below is a thread with some slow motion videos on manual flipping.

From experience with an mQx ...

But how much altitude? In my case, with an mQx at high rates (100%+), when I was first trying to flip, I would start at the height of a 70 foot plus tree (estimated with a 20 foot pole and some geometry) and the mQx would drop more than 1/2 of that height on the flip.
All those videos are very nice, but poor Beetle with stock TX @60% is totally different beast

Rotation rate is very low, i think it's even slower than your mqx because it doesn't have autoflip, so you have full 100% rates.

I need to gain even more alti, basing on a height of my house i would say it's minimum 30m/100ft.

And i need a new TX
Last edited by shafter; Sep 04, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,445 Posts
Distances

Greetings!
So I'm wondering... I've been able to get my V929 and various other helis to fly a fair distance away from me. In most the specs are somewhere between 30 and 100m. I've never measured but I'm sure I've had the V929/V911's as far as 50-60m from me and they've been able to return reasonably well. My MJX F45 I've easily had 100m away and I've never had it fly off on me. My DH9116's - well the first one was able to go ~40m no problem. The second doesn't like to go more than 20m but it definitely has some problem on the PCB.

What I'm wondering... has anybody actually tested the distances? Do people use things like range finders or other gadgets to figure out their max waypoints? I don't have an area near me that would be any good for figuring testing as anywhere I go if I go too far I'm going to be in a bad spot. I've watched some of the helicopter and plane videos on the forums and some seem to be incredibly high and incredibly far away from their pilots. I love the idea of doing this although I'm not sure how they can possibly see what direction their bird is facing

Anyway. I guess what I want to know is what kind of birds do you get when you want a good range? I would imagine you'd need to get out of the toy and into the hobby lines so you can buy better quality transmitters and receivers. Of course the more you spend the more nerve wracking it might be to go longer distances or to greater heights. What a vicious circle!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:44 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Well, it's not real tic-tocs, I suppose. But the idea was to demonstrate full control over a flip as opposed to auto flip. What I call tic-tocs, if you're able to see it in the video, aren't slow manual flips. If you look closely, you'll see that the quad never actually flips a full rotation. It goes inverted and then it flips back the opposite direction. In other words, it goes 1/2 back flip into an inverted position, and then 1/2 front flip back to an upright position. The quad essentially does only half a flip and then I bring it back to upright with opposite rotation....
Video looks good to me (and reminds me of something to try).

One place where I saw a lot of these 1/2 flip, 1/2 flip back combos were in videos of people starting to flip mCPx's and/or Walkera Genius': they would 1/2 flip, hover inverted and try to regain altitude (being CP helis) and then 1/2 flip back.

I have done some of the following on a simulator, but yet to do for real: a pseudo-split-S (1/2 roll followed by 1/2 back flip) or a pseudo-Immelman (1/2 backflip followed by a 1/2 roll). Then I need to do a 1/2 rotation to get it back to be tail-in.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:45 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
What I'm wondering... has anybody actually tested the distances?
ive done a range test on v929 and it came out over 350 meters or 1000 feet. beyond that i could not see my buddy signaling anymore let alone see a model. that was in a metro area too. i suspect under better conditions we are talking miles. iirc range calculator said 40km with 0db output of the a7105. not likely in the real world. using a turnigy (same protocol but 20db) i got a few miles.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:03 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
That is what puts this quad miles above others in my opinion, the ability to use a real tx makes it hobby grade in my opinion. As Dave said the range for this is only limited by your eyes. Even flying fpv, with the systems that would fit on this quad and still be flyable you would likely be limited by vtx range and not the radio.

I feel that manufacturers grossly underestimate range in most rtf aircraft, probably for safety reasons.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8