HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:00 AM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Here's a quick vid I made earlier with the U816. Anyhow, I have a few apologies to make.The video is really poor quality....I hate this camera, (HD my bottem!)
My flying with this is poor and it zips too fast for me to handle at this time and today wasn't really a good day to fly with 14mph winds. And finally......I have no idea how this background music got layered into my video...I'm assuming I mislabeled it and I added it with the mute on since the family is sleeping, lol.

But...hey, at least no jello effect....huh?

UDIR/C U816 Using SC508 Mini DVR Camera (1 min 20 sec)
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Last edited by dedmonwakin; Aug 01, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:10 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I would suggest that you do a little more reading about carefree mode. A compass alone will only be able to tell it what direction it was facing when it started versus now, and that won't help any in bringing it back to where you are. Carefree mode only uses the compass to know which direction it is facing so it can interface with a GPS to know how it should move with a given stick input. A GPS alone would be much more useful than a compass alone, it can RTH without a compass.

Also strange that they call it 9 axis, it is just providing feedback for the yaw axis, if anything it is a stretch to refer to it as 7 axis.
Sorry to say you are not right......using compass you can allow the machine go forward or to any side ("forward or to any side" from your point of view) no matter where it be pointing...so yes..its very useful to bring the quad back to you when you dont know where it is facing..

No need of GPS for that.....and sure I“ve read a lot more than I can explain with my bad english...

Saludos,
Jose

BTW. Sorry for the off-topic...
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:24 AM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Imagine you and your quad are pointing due north. Take off and fly forward 100 feet then use right aileron only to fly right 500 feet. Your compass has read due north the entire time so as far as it knows you are south of it. If it then flies south when you pull back on the stick it will still be 500 feet to your right. Maybe I misunderstand carefree mode but I thought the idea was that pulling back on the stick would always bring it toward you.

Edit:
http://diydrones.com/m/discussion?id...Topic%3A491652
Here's a diydrones developer confirming their version of carefree mode doesn't even require a compass.

Edit again: http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Simple seems we are both right. I was describing super simple mode you are describing simple mode, not sure what other flight control boards use.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Last edited by skitchen8; Aug 01, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:42 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
please take a look...better than words..:)

Quote:
Imagine you and your quad are pointing due north. Take off and fly forward 100 feet then use right aileron only to fly right 500 feet. Your compass has read due north the entire time so as far as it knows you are south of it. If it then flies south when you pull back on the stick it will still be 500 feet to your right. Maybe I misunderstand carefree mode but I thought the idea was that pulling back on the stick would always bring it toward you.

Edit:
http://diydrones.com/m/discussion?id...Topic%3A491652
Here's a diydrones developer confirming their version of carefree mode doesn't even require a compass.
"Simple mode doesn't require a compass, but it will work better longer if it does" from your link..

video about carefree for better understanding..

Rabbit Flight Controller - v1.211 Care Free test (9 min 11 sec)
Please read comments below

Saludos,
Jose
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:17 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
guys, you aren't going to see GPS technology or heading hold compasses on the micro quadcopters in the near future... it's cheap but just not cheap enough to be integrated into these micro quads, especially since we are talking about ones that cost around 40-50USD RTF. (You might see it first on slightly larger quads like the Hoten X... but I'd say it's still years away before you will see one on a micro)
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:26 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I don't know, until recently I didn't expect quads to come down into this price range at all. When buying in large quantities you could pull off gyro/accelerometer/GPS/magnetometer for probably less than $20. Maybe sooner than we think but I won't hold my breath
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:43 AM
Registered Addict
Bodų, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
875 Posts
Wonder if E-Sky will ever do a quadcopter?
Seems like they have been quite lazy on the release front.
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:49 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
guys, you aren't going to see GPS technology or heading hold compasses on the micro quadcopters in the near future... it's cheap but just not cheap enough to be integrated into these micro quads, especially since we are talking about ones that cost around 40-50USD RTF. (You might see it first on slightly larger quads like the Hoten X... but I'd say it's still years away before you will see one on a micro)
Right.

A GPS chip alone still cost 15$
A compass (my guess) around 5$
Plus you need a much more powerfully CPU ... and much more software to be coded ...

On top ... all this add weight ... GPS is extra 10/15g at best.

GPS alone does nothing ... you need add a display or an interface port for program the path to follow ... (just return to home for these little bird make little sense)

So ... considering that this is needed only for who plan to go for FPV ... the budget and complexity explode ... so ... I don't think we will never seen coming in this price range ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:29 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Update: I found the MJX X100...it's got a 6 axis gyro that the others around this price range don't feature. Wonder if it's any good? =]
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:42 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,072 Posts
need a poll "which is your favorite" :P
or even "which is your favorite for fpv" haha

there's really many
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:02 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
need a poll "which is your favorite" :P
or even "which is your favorite for fpv" haha

there's really many
For FPV ... none of these cheap RTF ..

Get a 450 Quad for FPV ... you need space ...

You need a special camera with transmitter for make these little quad FPV

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Personally I just order a SH 6043 ... as a toy ... not for FPV or aereal video
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:58 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Update: I found the MJX X100...it's got a 3 axis gyro and three axis accelerometer that the others around this price range don't feature. Wonder if it's any good? =]
You're welcome

Elm70: you need a camera and tx to do fpv no matter what scale, so what point were you trying to make? Sure it is not an ideal platform but for someone that wants to try it you can have a full setup including quad for under $200. I feel like sometimes the fpv guys think that money just falls from the sky and everyone can afford to do it "right" lol I plan to fpv this quad at some point.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:27 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Quote:
You're welcome

Elm70: you need a camera and tx to do fpv no matter what scale, so what point were you trying to make? Sure it is not an ideal platform but for someone that wants to try it you can have a full setup including quad for under $200. I feel like sometimes the fpv guys think that money just falls from the sky and everyone can afford to do it "right" lol I plan to fpv this quad at some point.
You got your point across, you don't like the terminology used by everyone else because it's "wrong". But you see, when even the engineers who design these quads use the term "six axis gyro"... I think it's ok for me to use it too. Anyways, call it what you want... as long as people know what you are talking about.
(Think about the term 3D flying... Well..technically we all fly in 3D space...but try to "correct" everyone who refers to stunt flying as "3D"...there are better ways to use your time, my friend! )
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Aug 01, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
dedmonwakin : def not HD looks like one of the usual mislabelled 15fps low quality ones, on the upside i like the music
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
You can turn one of these into an fpv unit with some of the very light gear available but realistically low range ,low weight, a little too much wind etc etc and to a point it becomes useless ( other than for a bit of fun )
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief