HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
That looks like it would probably work too

Btw should have been far not fad lol stupid touch screen.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Glad you posted that. I kept trying to figure out what fad stood for. . I can't speak for the eBay link, but I have had the opportunity to review some of Rakons other items and they were always top notch quality products. So essentially you could get the new v2 LB and then just get a mqx board and you would be in business for using a Spektrum radio. Is that correct? Might have missed something since its on my phone. I'm a newb to quads so my question is what kind of effects would it have on flying? To be honest I'm really amazed to hear of all the people switching out boards in different models. I just assumed the boards were more specifically programmed for the model it was in.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:30 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Well the way that these IMUs/FCs are programmed they pretty much are frame agnostic. PID tuning can be different between frames of different flex and length and material and other factors but for the most part you could duct tape some sticks together, mount motors and the FC and probably get it to fly reasonably well. It truly is amazing technology.

It looks like I got my second 929 just in time, I think there is a micro crack in one if my booms and it is nearly unflyable now
For the amount of time it spent running into things it performed amazingly though
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Thanks for that explanation. The technology really is incredible. It's almost scary how cheap this stuff is with the technology that didn't even exist 10 years ago.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
But what's the 5th socket on the PCB for as seen on the pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
The fifth socket probably is for connecting the LED, but unfortunately it wont be switchable from the transmitter. Just my guess.
On Hitec Japan website, you can find this info:

"optional camera can be mounted separately with the camera connector"
___FP is offline Find More Posts by ___FP
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Everyone chant: camera, camera, camera.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
24 Posts
U816 Mode conversion

Just wanted to see if anyone has done a mode conversion for the U816 and note how impressed i am with this toy.

My only issue with the U816 was i couldn't find any with mode 1 (throttle on right). I though about many ways of reverse engineering the transmitter and providing some solution but in the end i went old school. I de-soldered the control sticks (they are PCB mounted) and switched them over so they were mechanically correct for mode 1 (no spring retention on throttle on right). Then i simply cut the PCB tracks for the throttle and pitch and ran jumper wires to switch them over. Now i have mode 1 U816 working correctly. The whole process probably took about 30mins.

Having built a few quadcopters myself with my own electronics and software i have an appreciation for the effort that is required, i can't believe how cheap the U816 is and it has the InvenSense MPU6050 6DOF chip in it!
burko007 is offline Find More Posts by burko007
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
Very nice video

Find a very nice video about the quadcopters,I enjoy every minute of it.
BEE-ADVENTURES walkera ladybird (16 min 3 sec)
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:52 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
That was pretty awesome!

I'm kind of on the fence guys. I'm really thinking about picking up a used mqx. I like the thought of binding to my x9503 and really setting it up to my liking vs. buying the v929 or v939, but am I overpaying by choosing to go the mqx route? Im still not sure how I feel about auto flips. I don't want to be too challenged but think it would bore me too quickly if every time I hit ff it flips on me. For those that have both can you give me some input.

I guess I've just seen a few others on here that own some of the more expensive quads say there in a different league ( which is of course to be expected), but I guess what I'm wondering is if you can feel the difference in flight quality/characteristics between a v929 and a mqx.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burko007 View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone has done a mode conversion for the U816 and note how impressed i am with this toy.

My only issue with the U816 was i couldn't find any with mode 1 (throttle on right). I though about many ways of reverse engineering the transmitter and providing some solution but in the end i went old school. I de-soldered the control sticks (they are PCB mounted) and switched them over so they were mechanically correct for mode 1 (no spring retention on throttle on right). Then i simply cut the PCB tracks for the throttle and pitch and ran jumper wires to switch them over. Now i have mode 1 U816 working correctly. The whole process probably took about 30mins.

Having built a few quadcopters myself with my own electronics and software i have an appreciation for the effort that is required, i can't believe how cheap the U816 is and it has the InvenSense MPU6050 6DOF chip in it!
Good work !

Then you are happy with your U816, have you compared U816 behavior with the V929?

Now i am thinking of ordering one and do the modification (i like to do same electronik work).
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:09 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
That looks like it would probably work too

Btw should have been far not fad lol stupid touch screen.
Don't know if it's worth to spend like 25USD

Quote:
4. Included:
- CNC CF Battery Plate (1pcs).
- CNC CF Upper Plate (1pcs).
- CNC Delrin Quad Rod Mount 01 (2pcs).
- CNC Delrin Quad Rod Mount 02 (2pcs).
- CNC Delrin Center Block (1pcs).
- CNC Delrin 1.25x2.5x2 Spacer (4pcs).
- Battery Oring (2pcs).
- Ø1x100mm Heat shrink (1pcs).
* Hardware:
- M1x6mm Self Tapping Pan Head Screw (4pcs).
- M1.2x4mm Self Tapping Pan Head Screw (12pcs).
The easy way I went, was buying the mQX FC along with the centerplate plus 4 Ladybird motors with props. They come premounted on the rods. mQX-Motor Connector (4pcs) and we are set.

The only job that needs to be done on this is to push in the rods to the centerplate, stick the props on, screw the 4in1 FC on to the centerplate and connect the motors to the flightcontrol. I'd say it'll take 5mins and is such a piece of cake.

Beside this

that is all you need (forget the hood, it's kinda small for the BLH7501FC PCB)
Ladybird DSM2 AS3X Umbau Walkera mQX Hybrid Ladyblade microjoy (1 min 18 sec)
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:24 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post

It looks like I got my second 929 just in time, I think there is a micro crack in one if my booms and it is nearly unflyable now
After cracking mine I replaced my booms with 3mm carbon rods, each 125mm long (original are 90mm).

I was too lazy to desolder the connectors from the wires, so I put them on the outside. For a perfect protection 2 drinking strows made of black plastic have been used.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:37 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Hey rcgchris,

After posting earlier I researched a little more and discovered there are a lot of people building the hybrid. It seems easy as can be and is virtually pnp. I was wondering your thoughts if you've flown a stock mqx in comparison. I'm really liking the hybrid to get ladybird type performance, but on a spektrum platform. Plus for less than $80 it's hard to beat if you want to use a spektrum radio.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Sep 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenkryparen View Post
Good work !

Then you are happy with your U816, have you compared U816 behavior with the V929?

Now i am thinking of ordering one and do the modification (i like to do same electronik work).
I have not tried the V929. But now that you have mentioned it maybe i should buy one of those too At these prices i will end up having an entire squadron of quadcopters!
burko007 is offline Find More Posts by burko007
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:09 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Can't tell to much. I burnt my motor on the maiden flight. This was due to a bad soldered SMD piece on the PCB. The motor received too many changes regarding power up, power down and simply overheated.

But well, it flew quite good for 15mins at least. I even tried to overload by plugging the original mQX LiPo, which is quite heavy for the small beast. It worked but it definetely lost agility and lightness.

I recommend to stick with batteries around 7-9g (mQX more or less 15g)