Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Guess is all about looping ... due to quick and dirt autolevel implementation, 6 axis means no loops in most of cases

Anyhow ... my experience with 250 quad, tell me is better 6 then 3, but everybody can have is flying style
I don't own one so this is an uneducated guess but I think it is the hands on feeling. With six DoF mode you're giving the fc a suggestion and it makes it happen. In 3 axis mode you're telling it what to do and the gyro is doing its best to keep your stupid human self from knocking it out of the air. Therefore six axis causes skynet, but then again maybe the electronics resent us for being so demanding in three axis... oh god, we're screwed
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Guys, I think the very technical talk deserves it's own thread as it sometimes gets heated and quite off topic.
Please remember that this is a hobby thread and not an engineering thread.
I feel that the engineering behind the way these quads work is very relevant to the general discourse, and incredibly interesting. I wasn't meaning to have a heated debate and neither was e_lm_70, in fact I think we were both making the same point and were both having a bit of difficulty communicating it the way we want. Nobody loses a debate like this because everyone ends up learning things. There are a few here that seem to not have much knowledge in this particular field that find the information useful and educational.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
459 Posts
I've been having a blast with the v929! I've been into r/c a long time and really wanted to try a multirotor, but just couldn't get up the courage to spend much to get one. I'm fully Spektrumized, so the mqx looked good, but out of my price range just to check one out....

So when I saw the v929, I just had to try one - its tons of fun. I've been torturing it now for a few weeks and only managed to slightly damage one main blade - its pretty tough. I really really had trouble with the little "toy" type transmitter. Oh, it works great, but the yaw control (rudder) was just not right. It seemed like it was more like an on/off switch than a proportional control.

Today I got a nice new FlySky transmitter and bound it up to the v929. Much better. I can coordinate turns and feel like I've really got control now. I can tweek settings and have a timer set to eight minutes! I guess in the end I spent just about as much as if I had just got an mqx in the first place, but now I can get a whole new airframe for less than $40 and I've backordered a v939 and can hardly wait!

I gotta say that flying a quad is much more fun than I had expected. I've got a shop full of airplanes and 3D helis and this little quad is getting all my attention these days......
rcflyair is online now Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
I must be one of the few, I like the trans that comes with it. For a 39 dollar quad I can do what I want to do with it using the standard trans. Does not take much to keep me happy. Should say the yaw control to me is OK. For a bang around "I want to go outside in the front and fly" its great, grab and fly.
Bud
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
459 Posts
Yup, the stock tx works great! I think the problem is more with my brain. I don't like d/r and never use them. I max out everything and dial in the expo according to what feels right.....

The stock tx has quadrouple rates!!!!! (20, 40, 60, 100) Every time I switched rates with the little button, the yaw rate changed too, and my geriatric brain wasn't able to adjust very well.

I flew it for a couple weeks all stock and had a blast, but adding the (relatively expensive) fancy radio was worth it. I must admit to wanting to diddle with a 9x for some time now as I'm a bit of a hacker, heh
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
I totally agree the stock tx is just fine the only reason I upgraded is to have a real radio for future models, but it is real nice to fly this thing with a real radio, the sticks just feel so much better and more accurate. Expo and precise rate control are nice but certainly not required to fly.

Also, as rcflyair said the ability to remove yaw rate from the other rates is really nice too.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,572 Posts
Let's get back to topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I feel that the engineering behind the way these quads work is very relevant to the general discourse, and incredibly interesting. ...

There are a few here that seem to not have much knowledge in this particular field that find the information useful and educational.
I agree with James. This thread is about the various micro quads models, their flying characteristics, their good and bad points, so buyers can buy one that suits them best -- it is not for us to understand how gyros, in general, work. Check out the very first post of his thread. You can clearly see his (the) intention of his thread.

All I want is to read comments on first-hand flying experiences, not a debate on gyros. This is exactly why I had subscribed to Jame's thread.

I hope you get the drift (ho ho ho). Thanks.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
530 Posts
Yes having just the V911 heli was not quite enough justification to get the 9x, came close a time or two, but getting a couple of these quads just may make it worth it. Just came in from flying my micro sized V929 hybrid with an old 9958 tx. Getting better at yaw with fwd and banking a little. With the 9958 tx in low rates with about 30-40 ft. space you can go full stick and more or less keep it under control. Then press in on left stick while on flight to go to full rates do a flip or two then press in on stick to go back to low rates.

I tested letting go of right stick to test auto level. It does more or less come back to level just takes a while. It doesn't seem to go on at the last pitch at least not forever. Pretty much no wind so that is the best I can tell. I'm sure the V929 guys know if it levels off on its own.

I see the Walkers LB v2 is at Wow hobbies in U.S. for $70, plus ship I think. I downloaded the LB 2 PDF and it does say 3 axis. I think when looking at the two boards they are almost identical with what looks like a chip missing on the V2 board.
jpconard is online now Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
530 Posts
Yes I agree we don't need all the details, but we do need to know which ones have 3 versus 6 axis and what the flight characteristics of them are to compare what works best.
jpconard is online now Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Just like me, you can fly by the posts that don't suit you. So your saying, you haven't had a conversation that went another way?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I agree with James. This thread is about the various micro quads models, their flying characteristics, their good and bad points, so buyers can buy one that suits them best -- it is not for us to understand how gyros, in general, work. Check out the very first post of his thread. You can clearly see his (the) intention of his thread.

All I want is to read comments on first-hand flying experiences, not a debate on gyros. This is exactly why I had subscribed to Jame's thread.

I hope you get the drift (ho ho ho). Thanks.
Why don't you just buy a few and get us back on track? There cheap enough.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandretti View Post
Got a stupid question here: and why dont you?? (Fyre has done a whole lot of reviewing about the V929 ... where are your reviews? )
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:18 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandretti View Post
Not sure if it was due to language barrier, but I shall say it again: I'm here to read what others have to say about their micro quads. I have no idea why I need to buy a few, try them, before I have the right to voice my concern of this thread going off-topic.

And please, stop your nonsense as it messes this thread even more.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Got a stupid question here: and why dont you?? (Fyre has done a whole lot of reviewing about the V929 ... where are your reviews? )
Maybe I should, since I have all the ones that are out. I just think its silly when people start to complain about keeping on subject. They Must not read a lot of other threads. I just don't review cause everybody's flying habits are different. I can fly these perfectly with the standard trans that come with these and others can't. Needless to say, If I said anything about the gyro's, I would be shot.) Never a stupid question just stupid answers. I am sorry, really, no more bull from me. Hope this thread gets back on topic. Bud
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
USA, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jun 2007
459 Posts
Well, I just range checked the new radio setup! I just wish I had done it on purpose....

Its a nice calm evening, so I just kept flying, even after it started getting dusk. I got up and out a bit, and completely lost orientations. It seems that its rather difficult for old eyes to determine orientation on a micro quad at about fourty feet at dusk! So I give it a little elevator and it moves away -crud. I jab a bit of aileron - same result. In fact all I could get it to do is go up, and it was drifting slowly with the wind away from me....

I finally ended up getting lucky and got it coming back toward me, but I'll bet I was sixty feet up and over a hundred feet away before that. I think I better find some lights for the blasted thing.