Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC View Post
Did you check to see if it would bind to the v929's TX? I doubt it, but you never know.
Yeah, no dice. Nor does it bind to my airtronics compatible radio or spektrum dx6i. But, it's possible that it would bind to a walkera since it's a clone of it and always hope for a 9x to you 9x owners.
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:43 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
6 axis gyro means 3 gyros plus 3 accelerometers. At least this is what Walkera means.
I know what it means but it is incorrect, misleading, and stupid terminology and it annoys me greatly that people use it. There are no fourth, fifth, and sixth axis and an accelerometer shares absolutely nothing in common with a gyro. Proper terminology would be 6DOF.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
How do you know if it has a 6 axis or 3 axis? The walkera LB v2 was advertised with a 6 axis gyro. The UDI U816 was also advertised with 6 axis gyro.
Where is the advertising on Ladybird v2? It must be wrong....as I am sure that it is 3 axis gyro, that the walkera said
WXIA is offline Find More Posts by WXIA
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:41 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I know what it means but it is incorrect, misleading, and stupid terminology and it annoys me greatly that people use it. There are no fourth, fifth, and sixth axis and an accelerometer shares absolutely nothing in common with a gyro. Proper terminology would be 6DOF.
Edit:Forget it, I'm just confusing myself now
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin
Last edited by dedmonwakin; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:24 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Well I'm responding anyways

Really 6DoF describes an ability to move in six ways (forward and backward, left and right, up and down, roll, pitch, and yaw) but in this instance, talking about the flight controller, it would describe the sensors ability to sense all six movements. It is common in IMUs for an array of purposes to describe their sensory abilities in degrees of freedom.
It bothers me that manufacturers say six axis gyro because it is very confusing to people trying to understand the how and why of this hobby. Even without that it helps when flying to understand how it all works.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXIA View Post
Where is the advertising on Ladybird v2? It must be wrong....as I am sure that it is 3 axis gyro, that the walkera said
here at ehirobo -

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=12114
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
I just checked with my Walkera contact (He's an engineer there) and he said the V2 doesn't have accelerometers. It's part of the cost reduction but he said it's every bit as stable as the V1.
Regarding the terminology.. even he calls it a six axis sensor..so I guess it's quite hard to get everyone to call it what it is :/
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
I just checked with my Walkera contact (He's an engineer there) and he said the V2 doesn't have accelerometers. It's part of the cost reduction but he said it's every bit as stable as the V1.
Regarding the terminology.. even he calls it a six axis sensor..so I guess it's quite hard to get everyone to call it what it is :/
afraid that it is....
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
compass

For the manufacturers....I think it would be a great idea to add compass to the board and a switch in the tx to activate carefree mode (carefree mode ensures the quad go forward when you push forward no matter where the quad is pointing...and same in the other directions)....As many of you already know the range of these micro is by far longer than the LOS...so its really easy to lost orientation when flying them...so I think that to add compass function would really be a nice add on.
Just my two cents,
Jose
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Yes...I saw it!!...but actually it is 3 axis gyro..for reducing the V2 cost. anyway, maybe they mean it is stable as well as 6 aixs. But they really should correct it, or many customers will confuse...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
How would a compass help?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:07 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,290 Posts
Jose: That is similar to the GPS hold function or attitude/altitude functions found on larger quads.. It's possible that in the future the technology may trickle down to these micro quads but it's very unlikely that you'll see that in a micro quad right now
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
not so far...possibly..:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Jose: That is similar to the GPS hold function or attitude/altitude functions found on larger quads.. It's possible that in the future the technology may trickle down to these micro quads but it's very unlikely that you'll see that in a micro quad right now
Hmmm...well...for GPS you need another sensor (GPS unit), and for the AHold you need a barometer...but for the compass you already have solutions in just one single chip (9 axis control...3axisgyro-3axisacc-compass)
well...with the mpu- 9150 at least at this moment: http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu9150.html

I know this would make the product a bitmore expensive (maybe 10 usd more) but the ability of recovering the machine when losing orientation probably worths them..

Saludos,
Jose
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:22 PM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
carefree

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
How would a compass help?
With the compass and the right software the machine "can" remember where it was pointing when took off and later if you want you can activate this memory and the quad will follow the sticks movements according to "your" position instead to "its" position. Id suggest you do a little search in multirotor forums about carefree mode for better understanding...cause Im really bad explaining this..

Saludos,
Jose
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
With the compass and the right software the machine "can" remember where it was pointing when took off and later if you want you can activate this memory and the quad will follow the sticks movements according to "your" position instead to "its" position. Id suggest you do a little search in multirotor forums about carefree mode for better understanding...cause Im really bad explaining this..

Saludos,
Jose
I would suggest that you do a little more reading about carefree mode. A compass alone will only be able to tell it what direction it was facing when it started versus now, and that won't help any in bringing it back to where you are. Carefree mode only uses the compass to know which direction it is facing so it can interface with a GPS to know how it should move with a given stick input. A GPS alone would be much more useful than a compass alone, it can RTH without a compass.

Also strange that they call it 9 axis, it is just providing feedback for the yaw axis, if anything it is a stretch to refer to it as 7 axis.
Last edited by skitchen8; Aug 01, 2012 at 12:00 AM.