HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
New to multi rotor, got a V929 BNF and V949 RTF, using the 949 TX for both.

Both the 929 and 949 fly very well, they are very stable and have superb heading lock.

Like all rotorcraft they set up air movement patterns when used in rooms, hallways, etc. These vertically moving air patterns require throttle changes to hold altitude. But, that comes with rotorcraft used indoors or at low altitude.

I'm using 40% indoors and it seems to work well. It has been turbulent windy outside so I have not tried using them there yet. Also I have not tried lifting a Key Cam yet.

Prior to this I got to use another guys 929 TX with my V929 and flew it in a gym. It flew great. He is doing FPV with his V929, using a baby cam removed from it's cases. I'll try FPV with my Fat Shark goggles at some point.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the flight characteristics of the V929 and V949. Multi Rotor seems to be a lot of fun.

Happy flying to all.
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Just did a little experiment - I connected to my v202 (stock), a v929 600mS Tigers battery, which is 6.1grams heavier than the stock v202 battery. The connectors can be connected without any mod or adapter and it sits quite steady in the holder, just beware of polarity and adjust COG.

Although the Tigers battery is only 15C, the quad had quite a lot of power and it could easily lift the added weight - It was slower lift than the stock battery but it was quite agile and steady.

I tried to do the same with a 600mA NanoTech battery, which weights an additional 1 gram. It was able to lift it but with much more effort.

The Tigers battery added about 50% more flight time than stock.

This little creature (scorpion) is amazing (unfortunately, it is not a FlySky compatible) - for being able to lift 6 grams more than its own weight.

I think, I will try to find a 400-500mA with a 30-50C rating battery, that will add less than 4 grams to the weight, and will try to reduce the weight of it by eliminating a little plastics of it, and will replace the connector for a better fit. I think that with the Mini Pet's props (on the slow boat...) it will have quite a lot of punch and much longer flight times.

P.S. the motors were a little bit hotter than usual (with stock battery), but it should be checked again when the weather will be hot (now its not so hot here - less than 18 degrees celsius).
asanado is offline Find More Posts by asanado
Last edited by asanado; Feb 12, 2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanado View Post
Just did a little experiment - I connected to my v202 (stock), a v929 600mS Tigers battery, which is 6.1grams heavier than the stock v202 battery. The connectors can be connected without any mod or adapter and it sits quite steady in the holder, just beware of polarity and adjust COG.

Although the Tigers battery is only 15C, the quad had quite a lot of power and it could easily lift the added weight - It was slower lift than the stock battery but it was quite agile and steady.

I tried to do the same with a 600mA NanoTech battery, which weights an additional 1 gram. It was able to lift it but with much more effort.

The Tigers battery added about 50% more flight time than stock.

This little creature (scorpion) is amazing (unfortunately, it is not a FlySky compatible) - for being able to lift 6 grams more than its own weight.

I think, I will try to find a 400-500mA with a 30-50C rating battery, that will add less than 4 grams to the weight, and will try to reduce the weight of it by eliminating a little plastics of it, and will replace the connector for a better fit. I think that with the Mini Pet's props (on the slow boat...) it will have quite a lot of punch and much longer flight times.

P.S. the motors were a little bit hotter than usual (with stock battery), but it should be checked again when the weather will be hot (now its not so hot here - less than 18 degrees celsius).
I Have removed some plastic from my V939 and was looking at how the NanoTech have the black plastic on it I wonder how hard it would be to remove it without damaged. The originals donít have the extra plastic weight.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Just tried a Key Cam on the V949. The camera was not mounted with vibration dampening, it was just rubber banded on the bottom of the 949. Video was inside, at night.

Result: the V949, using a stock battery, carried the Key Cam just fine. The video was jellied, as expected. The Key Cam needs a wider angle lens, I have one but have not fitted it yet. Flight control was not a problem. Rotor noise was louder because more power was needed.

I lost a CX2 once while flying video with a Key Cam, winds aloft got it, it could not penetrate the wind speed. I'm hoping the V929 and the V949 will have enough penetration.

PS, the props and battery were stock and the stock canopy was used. The Key Cam, an old model, was stock too.
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Chadstone
Joined Dec 2011
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
I Have removed some plastic from my V939 and was looking at how the NanoTech have the black plastic on it I wonder how hard it would be to remove it without damaged. The originals donít have the extra plastic weight.
I had a cap on one of my batteries come loose and found that they are simply held on with hot glue. A little heat from a heat gun and they should pull off easily.

There's no protection circuit board in there, just the wires soldered direct to the battery.

You will need to cover the solder joints with some tape and perhaps a little padding. The weight savings will be minimal, but it all adds up.
maca55 is online now Find More Posts by maca55
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,203 Posts
Had a close one tonight got disorientated and my V959 went across a busy road and was not sure if it was hung up in a tree, in road, but found it safe on the ground beside road.

The 300ma NanoTech donít fit all that tight in the V939 had some foam tape on them to keep them in. Tonight I put Velcro on one and stuck it under the battery basket wanted to see if lowering the center of gravity would make a little more stable. It was dark by this time so just flew in garage, but I think it helped. I will try outside as soon as I get a chance. What is great is the Velcro allows me to put it under or put it in battery tray for whatever mood I am in.
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Sorry for jumping in guys but I have only just come across these micro Quads

I been into Aero RC for over 12 years including +4 years of heli flyer (not 3D) but very capable of flying small indoor and outdoor CP helis.

I have a Turnigy 9x so would obviously like to get one that would utilise that. Looking at the thread start this sort of points to a Vitality H36 being six axis as well ?

However I like the idea of something smaller so maybe the V939 though only three axis ?

Both the above would need to be be ordered on the slow boat from China (more delayed at the moment with the Chinese holiday and subsequent back log). I am in the UK

I could go buy a Hubsan X4 (I know not 9x compatible) off the shelf locally which seems the easiest thing to do

I really want something to fly in the house initially ?

Would appreciate your thoughts

PS looking again at the Vitality H36 and 939 are the same size.

Regards

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Last edited by jerrysimon; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
Sorry for jumping in guys but I have only just come across these micro Quads

I been into Aero RC for over 12 years including +4 years of heli flyer (not 3D) but very capable of flying small indoor and outdoor CP helis.

I have a Turnigy 9x so would obviously like to get one that would utilise that. Looking at the thread start this sort of points to a Vitality H36 being six axis as well ?

However I like the idea of something smaller so maybe the V939 though only three axis ?

Both the above would need to be be ordered on the slow boat from China (more delayed at the moment with the Chinese holiday and subsequent back log). I am in the UK

I could go buy a Hubsan X4 (I know not 9x compatible) off the shelf locally which seems the easiest thing to do

I really want something to fly in the house initially ?

Would appreciate your thoughts

PS looking again at the Vitality H36 and 939 are the same size.

Regards

Jerry
Hey Jerry,

I have both (H36 and V939) and I'm in the same boat...I want to keep the 9X compatibility...so I suggest to wait a bit till we could test the micro QBOT from Hobby King which is 6axis (has gyro AND accelerometer).
They have just sent mine, so few days (~10) need to reach here...

There you can find a topc about it for more details.

Cheerz,
B.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Ah thanks bulesz. I will keep a look out for the QBOT though I am in town tomorrow and may not be able to resist buying a Hubsan X4 lol

Jerry
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,067 Posts
Hubsan for indoor

You can't beat the Hubsan for flying indoors. It is a tad smaller and you can adjust the yaw, aileron and elevator seperately. You need a lot of yaw for tight indoor flying.
Swilson50
aka Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is offline Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:53 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
From my personal experience, if you are going to use a 9x I think you would be happiest with the H36. The V939 would be better if you are going to use the stock Tx. The Hubsan X4 can be a better quad (even with it's stock Tx.) but needs a bit of modding and is more fragile than the other two.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:02 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Thanks again guys, all helpfully stuff

Jerry
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
From my personal experience, if you are going to use a 9x I think you would be happiest with the H36. The V939 would be better if you are going to use the stock Tx. The Hubsan X4 can be a better quad (even with it's stock Tx.) but needs a bit of modding and is more fragile than the other two.

Gerard.
Yes, thats why I was suggested waiting for the micro QBOT, because thats 6 axis flyer with 9X compatibility...and it MAY have the similar flying characteristcs as the X4...or close... At the moment the H36 is the best in the 9X micro family, but this means he is the half eyed king of the blinds...

If you need SOME agility (I mean some quick control) you wont be happy with the H36...nor the V939...(it has another sickness... )

Cheers,
B.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:38 PM
2 NECKS ARE BETTER THAN 1
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Aug 2012
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
Thanks again guys, all helpfully stuff

Jerry

You know you want the Hubsan X4.....it's calling to you "Fly me....I won't let you down......please don't leave me on the shelf in this shop.....I need a home...."

Tonight as you drift off to sleep the tune "How Much is that Quad in the Window" will be in your head.

Now the addiction begins.... (you could always own both!)

Lard4Hire
Lard4Hire is online now Find More Posts by Lard4Hire
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,350 Posts
V939 is great with 9X. I don't think an experienced pilot would like the excessive auto leveling on 6-axis quads. I found the Ladybird a little too stable for my liking
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG