HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
@beerassassin

Have you tried manually setting the White Balance of the camera to prevent the color shifts that you experienced in the video?

Coming from a photography point of view, I would use the Nr16 setup program and go into the Advanced Image Settings tab. And switch the White Balance from "Auto" to one of the other modes to set the W/B. Don't worry about what each of the color temp are labeled as. Just pick the color temp that you like the most. Tips on how to see what it looks like below.

I personally like my video warmer so I set the White Balance to Fluorescent and the Color Options to Warm. This option is especially good for overcast days like in your video.

If you want a more neutral, but still pleasing picture, just keep the Color Options at Normal.

Manually setting the White Balance will give a more consistent color video without that constant color shifting.

If you want to use the trick I did to come up with my prefer settings, read on.

I put the camera into webcam mode.

Code:
Steps to enable Webcam mode:
  1. Remove memory card.
  2. Plug in USB to camera and computer.
  3. Turn on 808 camera.
  4. Computer will detect the 808 camera as a webcam

Then I use the free VirtualDub program and within the program, go to "File-> Capture AVI" to enable a live video mode.

I stick my camera out the window and see live, how the recording would look.

Then it's just a matter of going back into the Nr16setup application and play around until you find the combination of parameters that you like. Just remember, for Nr16Setup program to see the camera, the camera needs to be out of webcam mode. So simply turn it off, insert the memory card back in and then turn back on the camera.

Hope that makes sense. (You have to do the roundtrip of inserting memory card in or taking out the memory card to switch between Nr16Setup mode and Webcam mode. Not too bad once you get used to it)

Using that method, I was quickly able to go through the various W/B settings and the Color options as well as the Contrast option to figure out the best settings I personally like for my video.

Anyways, the take away from all this is...lock your White Balance to prevent color shifting in your video.

My current preferred settings. Go Pro also likes their video on the warmer side.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Feb 04, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:04 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Daryoon, thank you for the suggestions. I have little to no photography knowledge and have not messed with any of those camera settings, so this type of advice is great for someone like me.

I have not used the Nr16 setup program yet, I've just been editing the config file directly. it looks like I can edit the White Balance and Color Options directly in the config file too though?

so to copy your settings for example I would just change the values:

White Balance=[0] to White Balance=[4]
and
Color Effect=[0] to Color Effect=[5]

correct? (in the config file I believe Color Options is called Color Effect)

also, I understand what you're saying regarding webcam mode, I entered it accidentally when I hooked up the camera to my computer without the micro SD card inserted lol.
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:31 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
Yes, the Nr16 setup program basically create that text file for you and properly upload it to the camera. It a easy to use interface. It also downloads and keep your camera's firmware up to date.

Try setting just the W/B first. So you can see how the change in color temp looks. Leave the Color Option to it's default state for now. On Cloudy days, it's good to bump up to the warm setting. Or if you prefer your video on the warmer side like I do.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:47 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,514 Posts
Very interesting. My Walkera DEVO Tx awaits this micro I will be comparing it to my still top of the micro list the Walkera QR Ladybird V1.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
Cool, a telemetry enabled Devo compatiable wee quad with Alu. arms!
pre-order tho.... I wonder what it's target date is? I'd be interested in buying and trying this tiny clone with it's Devo compatiabilty.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:10 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Yes, the Nr16 setup program basically create that text file for you and properly upload it to the camera. It a easy to use interface. It also downloads and keep your camera's firmware up to date.

Try setting just the W/B first. So you can see how the change in color temp looks. Leave the Color Option to it's default state for now. On Cloudy days, it's good to bump up to the warm setting. Or if you prefer your video on the warmer side like I do.
sounds good. I tried the Nr16setup, you're right it's very easy to use. if you don't mind my picking your brain a little more...

I see in your preferred settings you have contrast set to low. how does that contribute to the White Balance and Color Option? also, why did you choose florescent W/B? do you normally change settings based out the conditions outside?

I apologize everyone who considers this ot
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,514 Posts
Thanks; Gents You have a nice discussion going that would also be very helpful posted and captured over here: HD Key fob cam #16 thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994
Cheers,
Jim
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:35 AM
Long Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2006
104 Posts
Pardon my shameless plug, figure this would cater to more specific people here: selling my lipo-powered field 1s walkera-connector charger setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821555
specgie is offline Find More Posts by specgie
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:59 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Anybody noticed the Q-bot from hobbyking?

At least I would be able to use my Turnigy 9x on a 6-axis for the first time.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
zippiz is offline Find More Posts by zippiz
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,514 Posts
Hi Z,
Thanks for pointing it out It is about time these were packaged with one of those universal Tx adapters so we can take advantage of our hobby grade Tx capabilities It even has a proper antenna(if it is real) Manual: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...19X53414X0.pdf
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippiz View Post

Last edited by jesolins; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
I wonder, when they will sell spreparts as I only need the TX adapter and the RX board (less weight and lower shipping costs)
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:25 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,428 Posts
Quote:

Great! Thanks for the info mate!! Finaly there is a microquad with accelerometer for our 9X...

EDIT: Here is the manual if someoen interested.
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Last edited by bulesz; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:27 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
I'll wait untill they have it in the UK warehouse. Otherwise the post cost would cripple it.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:27 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Hmm the H36 is "6-axis" (I really don't like that term...) and uses direct FS-protocol - so no adapter needed...

-mike-

Edit - Stand corrected.
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:35 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Hmm the H36 is "6-axis" (I really don't like that term...) and uses direct FS-protocol - so no adapter needed...

-mike-

Edit - Stand corrected.
yes, same here, thats why I have used "it has accelerometer"...6axis is a marketing bullsh*t..
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,514 Posts
Gents,
Whoever orders one of these Q-Bot micro quads with the universal Tx module, please post your buddy code. I ordered one but so far the buddy code is not showing up, so it might not be eligible. I'll keep checking though: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29595
Cheers,
Jim