SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
WRX STI V - EJ22 - 35.3 PSI
Malaysia, Selangor, Puchong
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Ayo, I don't have a Ladybird to compare it to, but I do have the Eye One. In beginner mode, it is very limited in function. In sport mode, it is much more capable and responsive, but it does have the self-leveling feature still functional. In expert mode, the self-leveling is turned off and I would think this is how a full sized quad would fly. It is very challenging to fly in this mode. Since I still consider myself a beginner/novice quad flyer, I usually keep mine in sport mode.
Thanks Murman! So far I got the 929 n the x4, an Ar drone 2.0 with rc mod and and an armattan cnc 355 with rcx 2826 motor setup on route to me by Chris. I'm only flying the 929 cuz I'm not ready for the x 4 or the other quads I have and will have...seems like the best choice to progress with. I will go stage by stage through all the mini quads, then get the rc one eye... And finally switch on the armattan lol.. Thank you very much for the helpful info! You guys are very helpful here and I will post pics soon enough... Fly it or crash it I think the 929 being the cheapest will be the easiest to replace parts wise so I'll start with that... You guys are really helpful in this forum and you have my sincere thanks for the feed back!
Hope you had a merry Christmas and will have a very happy new year
Ayodhya is offline Find More Posts by Ayodhya
Last edited by Ayodhya; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperhyde View Post
Almost all micro/mini quads out today are basically clones of the Walkera Ladybird or the Blade MQX. The two exceptions are the Hubsan X4 and the RC EYE 1. I have experience with the first three and they are all very good small quads and will tune your quad flying skills. From what I've read the Eye One is also a good choice. My only suggestion is to get a quad with a full size transmitter because that gives you much better, finer control and that's what you'll be using on a full size quad in the future. The Ladybird can be bought with the Devo 7, the MQX can be paired with a Spektrum Dx6i, the X4 can be used with the Spyhawk transmitter. The RC Eye One is suppose to soon come out with an Anylink adapter type of device to allow it to be used with a full size transmitter.
I know this is the more expensive route but you said you're interested in full size quads and those puppies are not cheap!
Wow you guys are a wealth of information for a new guy like me, for that thank you very much... Lol and yes they are not that cheap but like I sad in the post above I'm going to go stage by stage with all the quads I have.. I think I'll save the rc eye for the last before I start on the big quads! Dude all you guys rock! There's so much info here put out by all of you gents that it makes understanding the whole concept if quads easy . Thank you so very much for all the insight and advice, will do me best I to learn from all of you so one day I can contribute to this thread like all you fine gents have!

Cheers and much respect!
Wishing you and all of you here a very merry Christmas and a happy new year , good health and fortune to all of you and your loved ones!
Many thanks !
Ayo
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
@Ayo,
Of the (more than 10 types) of micro quads I've flown, I believe the RC EYE One is the only one that can teach the beginner the basics and grow with them all the way until they are ready for a larger, more advanced aircraft. It is extremely durable, I've taught a few complete beginners to fly with it already...but under expert mode, It can fly at the edge of my comfort/skill level.

And I have to mention the unparalleled customer service standards I've experienced first hand from RCLogger... it is the standard I want our company to meet one day.

Here's a shameless plug of the review I wrote of this quad. It is number one on my list of favorites and I think it'll stay there for quite a bit of time to come.
RC EYE One REVIEW - By JamesChen072
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
James when are you going to update the first page of this thread? There must be a hundred micro/mini quads now. You're slacking
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
I second James statements on the RC eye one. If you want to have a fleet of micros just for the sake of it go for it, but there's no real need to run through the gamut of micro and mini quads as most of them fly very similar. The RC eye one is not the end all of micro quads but it certainly has the largest range for flight experience going from absolute beginner to advanced. It is the most docile of any micro quad in beginner mode and the wildest/fastest in pro mode.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
I considered swapping the props, but I've gotten used to using the colored props at the front for orientation. The LEDs can be switched off with the tx so, for now, I just leave them off.
The weather here today was bad so I didn't get to fly the 202 enough outside to make a fair comparison.
Curious to see your update. I don't expect it to best the Eye One, but just your general take on the V202 after spending some time with it.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Curious to see your update. I don't expect it to best the Eye One, but just your general take on the V202 after spending some time with it.
Bottom line first...I love it! And there are actually things I like about it better than the Eye One.
1. First thing is the price. ~40$ for a quad, two batteries, charger, tx, and spare props is a hellofa bargain.
2. Speed! This little quad is pretty quick for only 3.7v. I usually fly mine on 80% (reason below) and it's quicker than the Eye One in "sport" mode.
3. Weight. At 38g, it's roughly half the weight of the Eye One. Less weight=less damage in a crash.
4. Stability. The V202 is pretty stable in a hover. I have noticed, however, when flying in my garage, that it sometimes will twitch slightly like there is some kind of radio interference. It's very subtle and doesn't effect the flight and I've only noticed it indoors so it's not really a problem.
5. 100% rates. The reason I spend most of my time flying the V202 at 80% is because at 100%, it's too easy to make it "flip" accidentally. Flipping is pretty cool, but I only want it flipping when I command it to, not otherwise.
6. Noise. The Eye One sounds like a swarm of angry bees. My wife can take only about 5 seconds of me flying it in the house before she starts fussing. The V202, on the other hand, is much quieter and Mrs. Murman only starts bing when I start hovering it over her head while she's on her laptop.

The Eye One excels when it's windy due to it's heavier weight. It also wins in the stability category. It just seems a little easier to maneuver it exactly where you want it.
The V202 wins in the thrills category. I think because it's lighter, I'm not as afraid to "fly it like I stole it". I've crashed it hard in the grass several times and I haven't had to make a single repair or replace any props. The Eye One, on the other hand, isn't as forgiving in the crash category. I've broken a couple of props, bent them a few times, bent motor shafts, broken a boom, and have had to solder motor wires back on twice. I really don't think it's because the Eye One is poorly made, I just think it's the extra weight that puts more stress on the parts during a crash.

I think if you are an experienced quad pilot who isn't going to crash, the RC Eye One is the better choice. For the beginner or novice, I think the V202 is best.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murman; Dec 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Thanks for the update Murman. I also fly at 80% rates indoors and out and find that 80% is more than enough to do windsurfing (as seen in my outing with Bill). I only go to 100% to do flips. I do wish the LED light button was reverted back to a flip button. I don't see LEDs draining the battery much.

I also noticed the V202 will veer off in hands-off hover. It's like horse that wants its rider on the reigns or it will wander off. As long as your holding the reigns (using cyclic) it will go exactly where you tell it to. It's inconsequential as most pilots don't just sit there with the purpose of doing hands-off hover........it's a neat trick to do for 4-5 seconds and that's it. I'm curious if it could be due to the colder temperatures we're all seeing as well.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
was a user.
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
tx compatibility

happy new year everybody!

do we have an info page of quads tx compatibility?

im going to buy another micro quad this next year January. then by February if combo sale is still available on a dx6i mqx , i will purchase it as well.

so im looking for anylink /dsm2 compatibility.
hanginkanluran is offline Find More Posts by hanginkanluran
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
@Ayo,
Of the (more than 10 types) of micro quads I've flown, I believe the RC EYE One is the only one that can teach the beginner the basics and grow with them all the way until they are ready for a larger, more advanced aircraft. It is extremely durable, I've taught a few complete beginners to fly with it already...but under expert mode, It can fly at the edge of my comfort/skill level.

And I have to mention the unparalleled customer service standards I've experienced first hand from RCLogger... it is the standard I want our company to meet one day.

Here's a shameless plug of the review I wrote of this quad. It is number one on my list of favorites and I think it'll stay there for quite a bit of time to come.
RC EYE One REVIEW - By JamesChen072
Hehe wow you Guys rock! Dude seriously your thread on the mini quads was what made be decide which ones to get! So I'm very thankful to all the work you put in making this thread! Cheers mate you have me sincere appreciation! I think I'll go for the rc one eye too. Only problem is that its so hard to get in Malaysia as only one place sells them and they don't have it anymore... Know a good place I could order online from?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:08 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!

@Variantman, Yup, I admit that I've been slacking off... BUT I've spent the first morning of 2013 updating the first page with some of the new quads on the market. :P If you guys have any suggestions please let me know :P

@Murman, it's good to hear your findings on the 202, I can't wait till mine arrives!!! I don't fly my EYE One indoors anymore for the same reason as you...as soon as I take off... someone gets really pissed

@Ayo, I've updated page one with the RC EYE One and some further info. You can get the RC EYE One directly from their headquarters in HK www.rclogger.com
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2012
884 Posts
Cool james! You are an asset to have lol !
I'm wondering of you gents have any ideas to cover the exposed wires at the bottom of the hubsan x4, the exposed wires that can be seen at the bottom of the motor on each mount !

Cheers
Ayo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:31 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayodhya View Post
Cool james! You are an asset to have lol !
I'm wondering of you gents have any ideas to cover the exposed wires at the bottom of the hubsan x4, the exposed wires that can be seen at the bottom of the motor on each mount !

Cheers
Ayo
I tried two different ways:
Rubber bumpers
Foam padding
But they are all mentioned in the X4 Thread

Happy New Year!

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,586 Posts
Worn out motors affecting flight

My V939 seems to be losing "punch". I thought it was because of the worn out batteries but I tried using new nano-techs and it was still performing badly. After ruling out batteries as the cause for the poor performance, I now suspect the motors to be the culprit.

I lost count of the number of flights that my V939 has achieved over the months but it definitely went through more than 50 flights. As direct-drive micro quads have be popular for quite some time, has anyone experienced performance degradation due to worn out motors?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:21 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
My V939 seems to be losing "punch". I thought it was because of the worn out batteries but I tried using new nano-techs and it was still performing badly. After ruling out batteries as the cause for the poor performance, I now suspect the motors to be the culprit.

I lost count of the number of flights that my V939 has achieved over the months but it definitely went through more than 50 flights. As direct-drive micro quads have be popular for quite some time, has anyone experienced performance degradation due to worn out motors?
Question
Did you fly pack after pack, or let motors cool?
Did you keep motor shafts lubed, and clear of hair/lent?
Are you fast at dropping throttle as soon as you know its is going to crash?

On my MSR heli and old coaxial these seemed to promote motor life
Flights add up fast when your having fun you may have way more flights on those motors than you realize.

Anyone
There have been discussions (MSR, Champ, P51...)on breaking in motors on other threads, has any one done this on these qauds?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack