HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
The v959 board looks like an all purpose board for the 959, 969, etc. Wonder if it can do all of those functions (shoot water, fire missle, capture on video) simultaneously (assuming of course you can strap all the peripherals on the quad and still make it fly).
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Looks heavy...
(The board)

Shenzhen is actually quite cool.. I have been there on business (not for rc tho lol) Just remember a multiple entrt on your visa (from hk to china mainland) - and a good tour guide or map
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Last edited by ArchillesElbow; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
The canopy of the v959 obviously resembles a Hoten X.

But look at the v959 tx next to the Devo 6s.

Coincidence?

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Wltoys should actually make a competitor to the brushed hoten x with devo 7f....
James tell them I can help lol it will certainly be more stable than the brushed hoten x
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
You are correct on the upper right button controlling lights on other models such as the u816a

As for the left and the beeping that should signal auto flip mode but with you choosing which way it flips. Next time you're out flying get it about 12 feet up just to get used to the feel even though it basically does everything for you. Hit the button and while it is beeping push your right stick (if yours is mode 2, left stick for mode 1) all the way to one direction, either full forward, backward, left or right. Whichever direction you push your stick it should autoflip in that direction. Once completed the beep will stop
Thanks for that. I already have a 'flip' button on the TX. But with the beeping button I could flip either way.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,260 Posts
Correct, the flip button will do a flip but you have no control over which direction it will flip. With the button on top you actually control which direction it flips.

I thought I'd find a quad with auto flip to be boring but it was actually quite fun. I just kept flipping. Hit the button flipping again over and over and over in all 4 directions all while in my living room.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
A,
Just so you know, the #16 has about a .5 second delay in the video out mode. It makes FPV difficult at best.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Jes...
Had a chat on the 808 #16 thread... Seems some people are using it for fpv without lag... I don't think you would be talking out of you hat tho lol... So I'll do some tests and see maybe its cam specific...

How about a micro ardu pilot 2.5 for this thing lol
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
A,
The #16 V2 is a fine keyfob camera to have, so do get it. YMMV on the FPV experience. A measured .2 to .5 second delay is typical due to the digital processing in the #16 camera. Some can make that work for FPV and some can't.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Jes...
Had a chat on the 808 #16 thread... Seems some people are using it for fpv without lag... I don't think you would be talking out of you hat tho lol... So I'll do some tests and see maybe its cam specific...

How about a micro ardu pilot 2.5 for this thing lol
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
A,
The #16 V2 is a fine keyfob camera to have, so do get it. YMMV on the FPV experience. A measured .2 to .5 second delay is typical due to the digital processing in the #16 camera. Some can make that work for FPV and some can't.
Cheers,
Jim
That's my gut feel as well... A slight delay when u flying with an osd and medium range is fine for fpv... But not so good on a micro quad ...anyway it's a good recording device if nothing else
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Just received my U816A and a few of the polystyrene protection canopies to stick on my old U816 to pass on to someone else, as I'm 'upgrading'

Discovered two things:
1) Putting the canopy on the old U816 makes it fly much better. The extra weight (~8g) means it has that little bit less tendency to fly up to the ceiling - forcing a hair's breadth reduction in throttle which makes it drop down again. It's always been hard to get to hover, but it's a great trainer for other quads, as they feel like they're hanging from a string in comparison, so I like it for that. But, anyway...it now hovers really well. I'm using LB props, which also helps as they have more lift than the original U816s - after my putting them under the microscope back here - having a steeper pitch on them, which leads me to my next point:
2) The U816A props are very different to the old ones. They have really steep pitch on them and much more lifting capacity - presumably to counter the extra weight of the canopy and to be able to do flips and still recover well. They're even more pitched than the MJX X100 props, which were the previous 'winners', as the hub on the U816A is taller, so more room for the profile to 'twist', especially nearer the hub itself. The X100 (and Mini-Pet) props still have slightly more area, so they're probably fairly close in lifting capacity to these new U816A ones.

I'll stick them (along with the others again) under the digital microscope after Christmas, but I'd imagine without the extra canopy weight (and you can remove the polystyrene and use the centre section just like a normal canopy, as well as the other standard canopy that's included), these props/quad are probably better for a little FPV or aerial photography with a light camera more than the old model was. Better props = more strain on battery/motor, but has anyone actually worn out a motor rather than broken it by crashing it anyway?

As for the U816A itself: seems much the same as the original - with the same slow Yaw speed - although even easier to hover than the original with LB props on and the ability to flip with the shoulder button is much better than just using the button (although I think late model 'normal' U816 quads also came with this ability). And it can do flips with the canopy on and recover....just. Got 6 minutes out of the first two batteries just hovering. Not bad carrying an extra 8g.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
was a user.
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
udi u816

have you guys maxed out your throttle?

this vid was my first attempt not maxed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khls7...fZCEGA&index=1
hanginkanluran is offline Find More Posts by hanginkanluran
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
was a user.
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
it flew but i coudnt judge it that night cause it was windy and my back, right motor cap pop off before that. but it was heavy. mainly because of the 12v button type batteries. ill take it off. but it would be nice first to do an altitude test at night
hanginkanluran is offline Find More Posts by hanginkanluran
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:48 AM
Get Airborne
Sweden, Skåne County, Hofterup
Joined May 2012
339 Posts
Bzzzzz LB QR V1

My two LBs.

Both use bee canopy from MiniPet, nice yellow color with good wisibility, and they survive hard back landings (1.5$).

Frame is from Vitality H-36, stronger than OEM, and better battery holder (1.2$).

One of them has a landing gear and dismounted bottom motor caps. Also use V939 propellers.

Both fly extremely well.
Stenkryparen is offline Find More Posts by Stenkryparen
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
Canada, ON, Kapuskasing
Joined Mar 2012
1,525 Posts
Anything out now that's compatible with walkera, but is not a walkera?
Creepy1 is offline Find More Posts by Creepy1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,260 Posts
Looks cool hanginkanluran! Need to build a 10ft version of that and fly it around. Could really get some serious UFO sightings going.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7