HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
@ Murman
It's not easy to find any other blades that are just right for the Eye One.
I got some of these in my last HK order (yet to arrive) as they are the correct length and hole size to fit. I only got a pack of anti-clockwise ones to look at as they are cheap, but they have a straight leading edge whereas the originals have curved leading edge. The straight edge variety need more rpm to achieve the same lift as the curved ones, which may well shorten motor lifespan. Time will tell.

@ sidneylopsides
If you want to know more about one bladed prop usage, look through NightFlyyers videos.

Strange happenings at Banggood, following a link above I get...
Security Verification required
Banggood.com is under attack

????
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:29 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides View Post
Ok, why would you have one blade? Are there any advantages?
just an experiment of some sort. I guess if you don't have anything to do you start cut off 1/2 of something. probobly an experiment on balance and thrust.

tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:50 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
I experimented with a broken prop one time to see if I could get it balanced enough to fly with it. I got the plane flying, but I could never get the prop balanced enough to eliminate all of the vibrations. It did seem to have as much thrust as the two-bladed version though, which surprised me a bit.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:29 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Supposedly a one-bladed prop is more efficient than a prop with two blades.
Dave Herbert (NighttFlyyer at Youtube) has done a lot with one-bladed props:

MCPx Flybarless CP Heli converted to Single (1) Blade, No Tail Rotor and is the first of it's kind! (10 min 0 sec)
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:16 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
@ Murman
Strange happenings at Banggood, following a link above I get...
Security Verification required
Banggood.com is under attack

????
I got one of those. Worried me for a second, but I logged in and all was well.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:11 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Seems they try to keep hackers away by extending the time span against automated access.
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:58 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
@ Murman
It's not easy to find any other blades that are just right for the Eye One.
I got some of these in my last HK order (yet to arrive) as they are the correct length and hole size to fit. I only got a pack of anti-clockwise ones to look at as they are cheap, but they have a straight leading edge whereas the originals have curved leading edge. The straight edge variety need more rpm to achieve the same lift as the curved ones, which may well shorten motor lifespan. Time will tell.
Wouldn'T you need that pack here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Per_Bag_.html

But then on the other hand you could use the rc eye one spares as well. http://www.rcheliresource.com/breaki...for-pre-order/
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Last edited by rcgchris; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:33 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
As I mentioned, I only got the cheap pack just to have a look at them, I'm not paying $6 to test them. If I think they will work out ok then I'll get the others on my next order.
I find that the Eye One spits blades off very easily, one of them even stripped a thin core of plastic out of the prop, when I found the prop it had a much larger hole through it and the plastic core was still on the shaft. very odd, and this all happened in the first 30 sec of flying it from new.
Last edited by mono; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: had a blonde moment
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:51 AM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgchris View Post
Wouldn'T you need that pack here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Per_Bag_.html

But then on the other hand you could use the rc eye one spares as well. http://www.rcheliresource.com/breaki...for-pre-order/
Thanks for the HobbyKing link. I may try those. I was searching for an alternate source for these props because of shipping costs. The RCHeliSource link you gave me links to the RCLogger website that wants to charge $30 to ship a set of props to my house. Even the USA venders want $5 or more to ship 4 tiny props. I don't see why they can't just stick them in an envelope and slap a stamp on it.
If I order them from HK, then I can also stock up on other parts to justify the shipping cost.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Well Geez Louise !!
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Anyone tell me what's the best quad rotor to buy my son for Xmas . He wants one he can fly indoors and outside when the weather permits .
GeezLouise is offline Find More Posts by GeezLouise
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:05 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,705 Posts
M,
The air will blow the wrong way on one axis when CCW props are all fitted to a micro because even if you flip the those linked standard CCW props they are at the same angle and pitch. You also can't simply swap the motor wires to change the motor direction without code changes or you will lose yaw control, unless you also flip two of the proper axis motors upside down. So the bottom line is you will need the CW type props for these micros to work properly in their OEM condition. If you could change the code, then you could use all standard CCW props and then properly angle the motors/props to counter the dynamic yaw effects as Simon did with his simple quad build several years ago. See --TIP 8 in the Props section of the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index for more info on how this is done.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
As I mentioned, I only got the cheap pack just to have a look at them, I'm not paying $6 to test them. You don't actually need the more expensive clockwise ones as the others can be put on upside down to do the same thing.
Because they are symmetrical (straight leading edge) they can be put on either way.
You cannot mix them half and half with the originals as they are curved leading edge (I don't really enjoy repeating myself, but I explained all this in previous post ).
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:06 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
Anyone tell me what's the best quad rotor to buy my son for Xmas . He wants one he can fly indoors and outside when the weather permits .
Without any hesitation the Walkera Ladybird V1!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:12 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
M, ................
I had already edited my post about 5 times before you actually jumped on it
was thinking about something else as I was typing, see reason for editing.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Without any hesitation the Walkera Ladybird V1!
And if that's over the budget, a V929 is a great choice. A 949 if you want lights and auto-leveling (which I think the ladybird V1 has)

I also love my mini-pet bumblebee. very stable and has auto leveling.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murman View Post
Thanks for the HobbyKing link. I may try those. I was searching for an alternate source for these props because of shipping costs. The RCHeliSource link you gave me links to the RCLogger website that wants to charge $30 to ship a set of props to my house. Even the USA venders want $5 or more to ship 4 tiny props. I don't see why they can't just stick them in an envelope and slap a stamp on it.
If I order them from HK, then I can also stock up on other parts to justify the shipping cost.
Not all of us charge $5 to ship props (at least shipped in the US), we're working on trying to get RC Eye One and parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
And if that's over the budget, a V929 is a great choice. A 949 if you want lights and auto-leveling (which I think the ladybird V1 has)

I also love my mini-pet bumblebee. very stable and has auto leveling.
I wouldn't recommend a mini-sized for indoor flight (MQX, 929, 949, 959 or clones). Yes you can fly them inside, but a micro is much better suited for indoor flight. The micros actualy handle wind better outdoors (than brushed RTF minis). The minis benefit outdoors is that they're easier to see and can handle payloads better, but there are more mechanical parts (more to wear or get out of wack).

The Mini Pet\MJX X100 is a great beginners quad, anything with accelerometers are extremely stable, but Walkera LB V2 and newer versions of the Mini Pet have removed the accelerometers for cost reasons and compensated with advanced programming. You'll hardly be able to tell the difference

The RC Eye One, Ladybird V1\V2 with proper controller, and Hubsan X4 are considered the best in their class for performance. Unfortunately none of them have LED lighting suitable for nighttime flying (which you can disregard if that's something he won't do, but it's quite fun) and the X4 is too small to be seen at distance. If you want to get gouged by 100% markup, you can get the Traxxas QR-1 from your LHS, which is the same quad as the Hubsan X4.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor