Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:44 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,721 Posts
Multicopter first flight for Noobs 101

Gents,
+1

Also if a mulitcopter does not launch straight up when you apply hover power then you should do short one second hops and trim until it does go straight up. If you find you need more that 5 clicks of trim in pitch, roll or yaw then you need to investigate the cause. You should never need more than 5 clicks of trim on a well set up and undamaged multicopter.

General instructions for Noobs first setup and flight:
1. Locate a room or windless area that is clear of things you don't want to crash into with a soft landing area such as carpet or grass.
2. Apply enough throttle to get the props spinning, but not take off, then apply hover power(usually it is a little less than half throttle stick) without touching the pitch/roll stick and note any direction it drifts other than going straight. Land and put in a click of trim in the opposite direction that it wants to drift. Repeat as necessary until it takeoff and does not immediately start drifting. Note that any wind, vent air etc will cause it to drift so do not adjust trim for that. With no wind and properly trimmed and accelerometer calibrated it should be able to stay in front of you for at least 5-10 seconds before you have to input corrections to keep it in place.
3. Stay in low flight of less than 5 feet until you have mastered smooth throttle control for hover and pitch and roll. The yaw on most multicopters will be fairly stable for heading hold so you can practice that later in a wider open area.
4. If you are about to loose control or it is about to hit something, immediately pull the throttle stick full down. Getting into this habit will save you props, motors and having to replace the FCB or FETs.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
Ensure that after plugging in the battery, place the quad on a flat, stable and level surface immediately. This is to allow the gyro to initialize. With that done properly, minimal trim is required.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
MJX X100 Tx -- Does it have trim?

Does the MJX X100 transmitter have trim controls?

The transmitter has several small black slider buttons located on the bezel area around the joy sticks. Do these do anything? If so, what button does what? And, is there a way to reset all of the settings to neutral/default?
jiminalaska is offline Find More Posts by jiminalaska
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,721 Posts
Hi Jim,
Yes it has the normal two digital trim buttons for each stick.The It has a Tx mode 1 and 2 button below the sticks and a throttle control variable knob that I find works well to use for controlling hover throttle. The slider switch on the outside edges of the sticks is to add or remove the spring for the throttle. The digital trims hold their last setting. There is no way to re-set the defaults.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminalaska View Post
Does the MJX X100 transmitter have trim controls?

The transmitter has several small black slider buttons located on the bezel area around the joy sticks. Do these do anything? If so, what button does what? And, is there a way to reset all of the settings to neutral/default?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
u816

today due to windy conditions i was not able to fly my quad so i was just fooling around with the tx . the tx is the one that came with the quad the only identifying mark is( ufo series 01.) it has the two top edge buttons one for the flip in any chosen direction the other turns on a light on the quad if installed.
I held the mode selct button( bottom right) for five seconds. what showed up was a choice of 37% or 67% in mode 1 and 96% or 100% in mode two these % affected the elevator and aileron response. I proved this by holding the quad and felt the difference in power output in the different directions. has anyone else discovered this ,
I don't have the rc tx experience to explain this better.
tonytester.
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminalaska View Post
. . . the MJX X100 transmitter . . . is there a way to reset all of the settings to neutral/default?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
. . . There is no way to re-set the defaults.
Cheers,
Jim
. . .
The x100 tx has a distinctive long tone when any trim is back to the center, so it can kind of be 'reset'. This is useful because you can't see the trim settings.

For the small number of quads that I own, I rate them as follows:
1. x100
2. v929
3. x200

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Nov 29, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: clarify
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,721 Posts
Hi Tony,
Nice Easter Egg find on the U816 Tx
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
today due to windy conditions i was not able to fly my quad so i was just fooling around with the tx . the tx is the one that came with the quad the only identifying mark is( ufo series 01.) it has the two top edge buttons one for the flip in any chosen direction the other turns on a light on the quad if installed.
I held the mode selct button( bottom right) for five seconds. what showed up was a choice of 37% or 67% in mode 1 and 96% or 100% in mode two these % affected the elevator and aileron response. I proved this by holding the quad and felt the difference in power output in the different directions. has anyone else discovered this ,
tonytester.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Black Flying Saucer!!!

RC quadcopters (1 min 24 sec)

Now, this is what I call a UFO!
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOSx--UIsrw

Now, this is what I call a UFO!
I want one.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Haha that would be pretty cool for night flying. I imagine the battery time is probably pretty short unless they've moved to a larger pack
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Looks like a MQX/V929 style frame, with 3 bladed props (!) and a EPP body. Surely would be good for indoor, but the same ufo body would decrease agility and responsiveness a lot (and probably weathervane in the wind as well) so i would not be too keen for outdoors. The 3 blade props are interesting thou.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Looks like a MQX/V929 style frame, with 3 bladed props (!) and a EPP body. Surely would be good for indoor, but the same ufo body would decrease agility and responsiveness a lot (and probably weathervane in the wind as well) so i would not be too keen for outdoors. The 3 blade props are interesting thou.
3 bladed props.. hmmm.. really interesting... I'd like to see the specs of them....
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,280 Posts
Hard to tell which is front and back, unless you're directly looking over it or under it.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
tonytester.
I confirmed this on mine. Nice find.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I didnt see the black ufo on bangoods New Arrivals page. But did see these:

http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals-c-133-0-24-6.html

variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Clones and clones of the clones! The black paintjob makes even the mqx canopy look acceptable thou.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh