HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
I like the one handed controller, unfortunately I don't thing I can build that...lol
I would disagree. Wii controllers are notoriously hackable and quite easily modified to provide output of all sensor values. I would imagine you could convert this to ppm, make it send to a dongle on the trainer port, and I believe at least for er9x you could use it much like a head tracker and simply map the controls for the wii controller. Now, not easy, but also as far as I can tell not excessively difficult either. It would make a good winter project and could probably be done for around $100.

Hmm... my parents have a wii, surely they wouldn't notice a controller missing
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:25 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,263 Posts
A Gent Peter aka FMKit has been successfully hacking and selling Wii Nunchuks for years: Wii Nunchuck remote with built-in PPM mixer He has a flying wing that he flies using a wireless Nunchuk. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233270

Wii MotionPlus keeps flying wing level in high wind (1 min 16 sec)

I also use his FM Beacon Locator on my multicopters. They have several saves for me over the years: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=609

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
I would disagree. Wii controllers are notoriously hackable and quite easily modified to provide output of all sensor values. I would imagine you could convert this to ppm, make it send to a dongle on the trainer port, and I believe at least for er9x you could use it much like a head tracker and simply map the controls for the wii controller. Now, not easy, but also as far as I can tell not excessively difficult either. It would make a good winter project and could probably be done for around $100.

jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:36 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
A Gent Peter aka FMKit has been successfully hacking and selling Wii Nunchuks for years: Wii Nunchuck remote with built-in PPM mixer He has a flying wing that he flies using a wireless Nunchuk. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233270

http://vimeo.com/11175756

I also use his FM Beacon Locator on my multicopters. They have several saves for me over the years: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=609

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Wow, thank you Jim. Excellent information. I feel like we should all pay you dues for being the human multicopter-pedia
Thank you for all the time you put into this hobby.

Edit: wow, and $50. That is super cool, and all the work described in my post is done for you. So yeah, that, and for far far less than the linked kick starter.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Hey guys check this out! it takes our micro quads to a whole new level... including one handed control & in air games.... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nanoqtm-copter I can't wait to get one! very cool
I backed them too. I hope they get their money but they are going to need a lot of backers. I played around with hacking a nun-chuck a long time ago. Maybe they've improved but I thought the accelerometer in it was pretty bad. Lots of noise and a really limited resolution. Not well suited to flying a quad. From the video it looks like these guys really put some nice sensors into that controller. They say they built it from the ground up. I think this kickstarter looks like a really good deal. And they say they are going to try to make it here. Can we get some more backers for this?
RedCard24 is offline Find More Posts by RedCard24
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:

sorry, far beyond my skills...lol
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:21 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,013 Posts
DIY brushless micro quad with a KK board: http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...ead&tid=689596
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:46 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCard24 View Post
I backed them too. I hope they get their money but they are going to need a lot of backers. I played around with hacking a nun-chuck a long time ago. Maybe they've improved but I thought the accelerometer in it was pretty bad. Lots of noise and a really limited resolution. Not well suited to flying a quad. From the video it looks like these guys really put some nice sensors into that controller. They say they built it from the ground up. I think this kickstarter looks like a really good deal. And they say they are going to try to make it here. Can we get some more backers for this?
Two good reasons not to back them:
1) They are asking for too much, and will never reach their goal.
2) They are charging $250 for a wii nunchuck and a toy quad. I can do the same myself for much less.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:49 AM
it was just a bumpy landing...
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
DIY brushless micro quad with a KK board: http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...ead&tid=689596
Now that is awesome! And I thought the mqx board looked mighty big on the ladybird hybrid. lol
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Two good reasons not to back them:
1) They are asking for too much, and will never reach their goal.
2) They are charging $250 for a wii nunchuck and a toy quad. I can do the same myself for much less.
Three good reasons to back them:
1) They are showing integrity and credibility by setting their budget at a point where they can actually deliver the product.
2) You can get one for $119 and it's not a wii nunchuck
3) You can play games!
RedCard24 is offline Find More Posts by RedCard24
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
886 Posts
tx question,

does anyone know if my helimax tx4024 from fp125 .would work on any of the walkera quads?
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
User?
México, DF, Ciudad de México
Joined Dec 2004
181 Posts
Chinese mini quads are spreading like mushrooms these days

Nice prop guard idea by the way

not so sad face ladybug

Apache V929? Also nice for attaching a 808 keychain camera underneath

This one is so cute , who said a ladybug has to have a sad face?

Mini pet's Big brother or should we call it the Big Pet?

Enjoy
rocco is offline Find More Posts by rocco
Last edited by rocco; Oct 17, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco View Post
Chinese mini quads are spreading like mushrooms these days

Nice prop guard idea by the way
Brilliant!!

MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,013 Posts
The sharp, pointy "prop guards" scares me. I could imagine the pain if the quad accidentally crashes into someone. I'd rather break the cheap props than hurt someone.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:31 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,069 Posts
Props were never the weakest link anyway (at least from my own experience w/ the v929 and v939), its the booms on the v929 (boards come second), and the batteries on the v939 (easily fixed w/ aftermarket replacements).
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:40 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
The sharp, pointy "prop guards" scares me. I could imagine the pain if the quad accidentally crashes into someone. I'd rather break the cheap props than hurt someone.
The ends could easily be covered with something or melted with a soldering iron so it's a blob instead of a sharp point. I don't go flying my quad around other people so it's not an issue for me. I haven't broken a blade since installing them, and we're talking HARD crashes. Keep in mind Fyre, there's no such thing as slow boat from China for you
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member