HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That statement is completely unworthy. You can't advance a discussion by tossing something irrelevant onto the trash heap.Try thinking a bit about what Gordonzo said in his post. He has already detected one of the reasons one of his quads handles turbulence better than the other. He just hasn't formed the right cause and effect relationship yet.
Great, create a new thread and get it out of this one.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:51 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Because the way micro quads fly and perform compared to each other is of no interest and off topic?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I believe hostility and personal attack are against RC Groups policy. Those without the ability to explain themselves and without the ability to reason usually do resort to personal attack and hostility. It's all you have.

You really do need to brush up on your sarcasm techniques. They are poor.

How about some ideas on why one of Gordonzo's copters is better in hovering in 5 mph wind than the other? Stonecutter made the same observation with the two copters he offered to compare, and it has nothing to do with the size of the airframes of the copters.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:18 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts

has anyone noticed small breaks/cracks developing on the frames of their micro quad over time?

this is the second frame I've put on my LB, and once again it's developing cracks that reduce the frame's rigidity.

I believe the booms on the LB hold up so well that it actually makes the cheap plastic frame the weakest point in crashes. it's impressive how well the booms on my LB hold up compared to my mQX. I was always replacing damaged booms on my mQX that had too much torsion, yet I've never needed to replace a boom on my LB. (just to reiterate, I've now had 2 frames become damaged, and not even 1 boom damaged yet).

anyways, since the frame I'm currently using is not completely destroyed like my first one, I'd like to repair it for the time being. I'm thinking about placing a drop of something (suggestions please?) to temporarily remedy it.

it's too bad someone hasn't designed a titanium frame for the LB I'd be interested to see what part would break first with one!

here's a closeup pic of one of the said cracks on my current frame
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
i volunteer to settle this once and for all...

Someone send me a ladybird, and a mqx (could be same or different person who send lb), and i will do all sorts of experiments in all sorts of wind conditions, all meticulously documented of course. I will report my findings when i'm finished. (or until one or both crafts are destroyed, which ever comes first.) thanks in advance.
:d :d
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Last edited by jlcamp7; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Hi beerassassin, how do you check your mqx booms?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I believe hostility and personal attack are against RC Groups policy. Those without the ability to explain themselves and without the ability to reason usually do resort to personal attack and hostility. It's all you have.

You really do need to brush up on your sarcasm techniques. They are poor.

How about some ideas on why one of Gordonzo's copters is better in hovering in 5 mph wind than the other? Stonecutter made the same observation with the two copters he offered to compare, and it has nothing to do with the size of the airframes of the copters.
You ought to look up definition of personal attack. I didn't call him any names. It's a flamebait topic at best.

Post #18 Hidden because of possible trolling:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21912847
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
@ beerassassin

I had the same problem. After a big crash the frame would crack, once one brace is gone, it won t take long and the others will crack too. You can easily fix it with super glue or do what I did here to reinforce the frame:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743281
hollgi is online now Find More Posts by hollgi
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Hi beerassassin, how do you check your mqx booms?
basically just twisting them gently by the motor mounts. on the move severe mQX booms I've damaged, they exhibited lots of twist/torsion and I could also see a hairline crack. on the less severe ones there were no visible cracks yet still considerable torsion. right after I'd install a new one it would feel very solid, but even after several very minor crashes the torsion would start to return on the replaced boom. afaik I've never had any damage to the frame.

when I first got my mQX and was not aware of this 'boom issue,' I had the original booms in for quite some time. at the time I didn't know why, but found that flight had become very unstable over time, even indoors, and would take more time to recover from even small movements. I inspected the booms and found that 1 or 2 had visible cracks and 3 of the 4 had bad torsion... I replaced them and found that the instability problem had much improved. since then I've attributed stiff booms (and frame) with better performance.

I perform the same 'twist test' on the LB booms and they still feel rock solid to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
@ beerassassin

I had the same problem. After a big crash the frame would crack, once one brace is gone, it won t take long and the others will crack too. You can easily fix it with super glue or do what I did here to reinforce the frame:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743281
thanks! this is great stuff. your repair skills are clearly beyond mine. but you are absolutely right, it seems like a snowball effect once the frame starts cracking.

I'm still thinking a few drops will do the trick for now since I bought a small collection of spare frames (so cheap, I compare the cost to going out for drinks at the bar, makes me feel better hehe). I have some Hobbyking medium thickness CA as well as some slow cure epoxy with hardener, do you think either of those would work?
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,602 Posts
Heck, you guys, frame flex could be a reason that the bigger quads aren't handling the wind as well. They can react as fast as they want, but until the frame quits flexing corrections don't happen. And if the frame flexes back and forth like a spring, the sensors will be fighting both turbulence and spring action by the copter frame itself. I doubt the LB can flex like that.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
The flex problem can be cured with superglue as well.
Take some liquid superglue(not gel) hold the tube upright, squeeze a drop up and then move the booms along to get a thin layer of superglue on all four sides.
Twist the boom a bit to allow the glue to enter the cracks and apply a bit of kicker.
Done. No more twist.
hollgi is online now Find More Posts by hollgi
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
438 Posts
OK. sail area and the 5mph duck experiment.

your wrong. the ducks will NOT flow down the river at the same velocity. this is fiction. this only applies with gravity and a lack of friction (IE vac)

once you add drag you have something called VARIABLE ACCELERATION. this can not be ignored and THIS is what causes problems with your duck and with our quads.

if you drop a 2 foot duck and a 1 foot duck into a river they will NOT flow down the river at 5mph

they will ACCELERATE down the river at X acceleration rate and eventually REACH 5mph. assuming no corrective action is taken

so yes both WILL eventually reach 5mph but they will do so at DIFFERENT rates of acceleration.

a more aero quad will experience a smaller "acceleration" force when a gust of wind hits it and therefore will have more "time" to initiate compensation procedures.

a larger less aero quad will be accelerated harder AND require a LARGER correction force to accomplish the same "corrective action"

the very nature of the smaller quad means it can respond faster and with more "force versus time versus mass"

ie it handles gusts better. BECAUSE it is smaller and experiences less acceleration force when a gust hits it and can respond faster with less energy.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
So neys says that the small duck will accelerate faster than the big one, but the small quad will accelerate slower than the big one.

I conclude that, according to neys and a few of the rest of you, small quads are better than big quads in wind and that you all think this is due to smaller surface areas, 'sail area'.

Thing is wrong and far too simplistic.

Btw, neys, if I drop the same ducks onto a 5mph conveyer belt, what happens?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:19 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Well, it's nice to have a theory first that you want to prove / disprove. It's when people go directly from theory to conclusion that you get problems.
I find it saves a lot of time to jump directly to the shouting and blaming!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:28 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post

ie it handles gusts better. BECAUSE it is smaller and experiences less acceleration force when a gust hits it and can respond faster with less energy.
But you forgot to factor in that it has less mass and therefore less inertia, like you did with the ducks.

Truth is, big or small quad, it's the quality and ability of the stab system that could and not a general rule about surface area.
RCG Plus Member