SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:19 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,656 Posts
Hi Gents,
Sounds like switching between 3d and accelerometer modes inflight is go to go with the Lady bird then. Thanks for the feedback

The throttle on mine seems about the same as the other micros with the delivered firmware. Overall the LB is a very responsive and stable micro. The Walkera site is finally back up after being down all weekend, so I was able to download the setup applications this AM. They only had V1.1 upgrade firmware on their website. I just checked and mine says V1.0 in the utility. I read somewhere that even when uploading the v1.1 on the Walkera website that the utility still says v1.0. Normally I would want to save the firmware that is on the flight controller and do a file compare, but it appears the Walkera STM utility is a crippled version that does not allow a firmware read and save. Does anyone have any idea how to do that before I load this one-way ticket?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I haven't had any issues switching midair, but that's just my experience. no changes in throttle or anything. then again I did it for the first time not knowing any better, so I guess it's good that nothing bad happened

like I said before it should be easy to tell if you have the v1.1 firmware because the throttle will be very sensitive/responsive. trust me you will know. you probably don't need the firmware update, none of mine have (even though I do it anyways). just my guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb View Post
hi jim,
Do you mean that your V.1 Ladybird is loaded with fw1.1 and that the rumored
fw1.2 allows rolls and flips in 6-axis mode? Link?

I haven't noticed any instabilty switching modes on the Ladybird while airborne either, I would definately warn others if this action freaked the ladybird out.
I'm pretty sure I've mode switched my KK2 X250 while hovering too... without any ill effects.

It's probably a safety thing in case the mode you're switching to isn't calibrated. Ladybird is pre-calibrated (i.e. no user PID tweaking possible)
so it's likely far safer to do on the Ladybird than a full-size programable FC board. as with everything tho... YMMV
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:32 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I know it's Autumn Festival, what else is going on that would prompt the entire country to shut down for a month (I should say another month since they did that for Chinese New Year already).

Edit: never mind, I just realized it's only 3 days, not a month LOL. I haven't had my morning coffee yet.
Mid Autumn Day = 1 day
National Day (something like your "Independence Day") = 3 days

Some sites actually states the National Day to be 7 days. Over here, we don't get any public holidays for Mid Autumn, and our National Day is just 1 day of holiday.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:52 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,287 Posts
Just got the v1 LB in from nitroplanes. Looks great. I have to digress my statement on the canopy. I've been a basher of the bug canopies, but on something this small and tiny I have to admit it's growing on me and not as bad as I thought. Anyway...

I won't be flying until later on as I have to pick up some fresh AA's. However I was wondering for those of you that have received it from nitroplanes/xheli etc. Did you have to open it up and switch it over to mode 2 or did it come already set up as mode 2? In the pic that lays everything out it's showing everything set up as mode 1. Just wondering. I plan to open it up anyway, as the sticks are a little looser than I'm used to. I wouldn't mind a little more tension.

Also I've already got the charger plugged into my computer and charging up the lipo (have 3 more arriving today via usps). But I also have a wall wart usb adaptor. Do you think it's safe to plug the usb into it and charge that way rather than the computer?

Lastly did anyone else notice it came with a spare canopy? That was a nice little addition I didn't expect. I almost missed it as it was taped underneath the bottom of the plastic.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,656 Posts
J,
Ha! No I did not notice the extra canopy that was taped under the bottom of the plastic. Thanks for pointing that out I usually take off the mini and micro quad canopies and put my own 1/2in x 1 1/8in grey open cell foam hooked with 4 pieces of tie wire to the edges of the centerpiece. I prefer the utility look. Also the foam with hooks is 1g lighter and I think offers more protection than the canopy.

My Tx came in mode 2. No setup required. The LB has the orange props on the back. That was the first thing I changed. BTW, In switching them, I noticed how difficult it was to get the OEM props off and that after putting them back on, how easy they were to get off. I think they are glued on in manufacturing. I asked Aaron from Banggood to try to find out exactly what glue they are using on these micro props during manufacture. I tried CA but it did not work as well on that plastic/metal combo. I put a tiny bit of Elmers on and they seem to resist coming off about as well as original so far.

Note that the sticks will feel much more sensitive on the 2402d than the other Toy Tx's. There are no expo or dual rates that you can set. You must use tiny movements on the sticks compared to the other Tx's. Excellent control inputs nonetheless

The USB wall wart is fine for charging the lipos.

Have fun!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Just got the v1 LB in from nitroplanes. Looks great. I have to digress my statement on the canopy. I've been a basher of the bug canopies, but on something this small and tiny I have to admit it's growing on me and not as bad as I thought. Anyway...

I won't be flying until later on as I have to pick up some fresh AA's. However I was wondering for those of you that have received it from nitroplanes/xheli etc. Did you have to open it up and switch it over to mode 2 or did it come already set up as mode 2? In the pic that lays everything out it's showing everything set up as mode 1. Just wondering. I plan to open it up anyway, as the sticks are a little looser than I'm used to. I wouldn't mind a little more tension.

Also I've already got the charger plugged into my computer and charging up the lipo (have 3 more arriving today via usps). But I also have a wall wart usb adaptor. Do you think it's safe to plug the usb into it and charge that way rather than the computer?

Lastly did anyone else notice it came with a spare canopy? That was a nice little addition I didn't expect. I almost missed it as it was taped underneath the bottom of the plastic.
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
...you lucky americans...*sniff*
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,287 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I am fixing to get off and head to the store to get some AA batteries. Funny you should mention the props. I did that within like the first few minutes of having it out of the package. lol Both my mqx and previously owned mqx/ladybird hybrid all have orange set up on the front, so I knew it would be too confusing. In order to pull them off I just used a flathead screwdriver to pop it off. I had to do the same thing with the hybrid, because I installed two props swapped. I never had a problem with them coming off once I put them back on, so hopefully I won't have any issues. If I do, I'll drop a dab on them as suggested.

I'd love to see a pic of your foam canopy.

At mystman,

Sorry my friend.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,656 Posts
Foam canopies for Mini and Micro quads 101

J,
Photos as requested As I said very protective and they are free and take about 5 minutes to make. All the canopies pictured are lighter than the originals by about half. The grey foam is the lightest of them all by a tiny bit. The foam I used is about 1/2in thick. I used plastic covered wire ties that are simply poked through the foam corners about 1/8in from the edge.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Yeah I am fixing to get off and head to the store to get some AA batteries. Funny you should mention the props. I did that within like the first few minutes of having it out of the package. lol Both my mqx and previously owned mqx/ladybird hybrid all have orange set up on the front, so I knew it would be too confusing. In order to pull them off I just used a flathead screwdriver to pop it off. I had to do the same thing with the hybrid, because I installed two props swapped. I never had a problem with them coming off once I put them back on, so hopefully I won't have any issues. If I do, I'll drop a dab on them as suggested.

I'd love to see a pic of your foam canopy.

At mystman,

Sorry my friend.
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Ouch Gerard, that is some serious damage! I'm glad that the board looks intact though... standing up to the weight of a car was definitely not in the designer's mind I'm guessing then. :P
Good the rest of the fleet is still up and flying... I would like to know the answer to Kosem's question too! :P If you are, give us some tips! I need to smuggle quads in and out of the house these days to avoid the gf's fury...haha
The best tip I can give you is.... Don't get married
I've been a hardened bachelor my whole life.
gwrivest is online now Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Haven't heard of anyone owning one yet, but there was a thread started on it and James through up a video of it in there:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740177
Thanks man!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:35 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
My Ladybird got ran over by a car. I was flying her at a local park recently and got her up a bit too high (dang that throttle is sensitive, V 1.1 firmware already installed on the receiver board I ordered from BG) a gust of wind pushed her over a bit and I lost orientation and kept pushing her further and further so I decided to cut the throttle and I thought I saw her land in a parking lot. After searching and searching for her I finally saw her in bits and pieces in the middle of the road I picked up as many of the pieces as I could and took them home. Two of the motors and booms are completely smashed, the canopy is crushed and the main frame is broken. The receiver board is bent and has three of the screw holes cracked open but the board itself still powers on. I ordered all of the necessary parts to rebuild her from BG and I now have to play the waiting game... Again.

Gerard.
Ouch! sorry to hear your ladybird got run-over. I hope the postal gods help to get your Ladybird parts to you quickly!

I had almost the same thing happen to me @the park. I was flying her around until I lost orientation, 90% of the time I try to re-orient it... it drifts the wrong-way! Mine drifted over the fence onto the road... I was loosing sight from trees so I cut throttle... it dropped onto the road! I put my TX down and quickly jumped on my bike madly peddling away! ...ppl that were watching were thinking where the heck is he going so fast? I biked around to see it in the middle of the road with a car driving right at it. Driving past... I see that she didn't run it over! *phew* I was very lucky. a Return to Home toggle would be handy...
vpsporb is online now Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:38 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
J, Photos as requested
are those 2 in the middle what i think they are? WAY too soft imo. even if "ribbed" for increased pleasure. (j/k)

dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
14,656 Posts
Hi Dave,
Ha...nope they are plastic cup bottoms cut with a hot wire cutter.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
are those 2 in the middle what i think they are? WAY too soft imo. even if "ribbed" for increased pleasure. (j/k)

Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:46 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
What a great name for a new thread "Canopies From The Kitchen"
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,287 Posts
lol, Great way to start off my day. Thanks Jesolin for the pics. That's a pretty cool idea and definitely seems like it would offer good protection/shock absorbancy. I will definitely be playing with canopies as I like trying different things. I have an idea for one using the stock canopy. I will post picture once it's done.

Due to the way things worked out yesterday I only got to fly the ladybird for a few minutes around the house last night. Being a small living area, I just kind of putzed around. This morning I brought it to work and went to a fairly large open room and put it a little more through it's paces. Boy this is a lively little ladybug! I love it. A total blast. Great little flyer and as expected is even more agile than the hybrid. Still a little buffering here and there, but not as much as experienced with the hybrid. The hybrid even though very nimble and quick now feels heavy after popping this little guy in the air. The hybrid was still a great flyer and tons of fun, but I have to admit it's awesome having the real deal and seeing why everybody raves about it so much.

I kept it in 6 axis mode and can see what everyone means about full sticks it still holds in upright position which is cool. It quickly throttled and popped up without much stick, so I'm guessing it's version 1.1 already. I'll wait until I go outside and have more room before putting it in 3 axis mode. The only problem I had with it, was due to the space I was in when taking some fast tight turns even with full "aileron" stick it wasn't enough to get it pulled around before sliding into the wall, so I had a couple of nice hits into the wall. No damage other than two bent props, but I just bent them back and it kept flying fantastic. Thankfully it comes with a extra set of props and I have a spare set left from when I built the hybrid.

So this is definitely a keeper! If I had to choose between it and the mqx, I would say this one stays. The only negative so far is when lvc kicks in look out! I didn't think I had been flying that long (maybe 5 minutes, at least I thought) and I had a fresh pack, but the thing must have hit lvc and dropped out of the air like a pile of bricks. Thankfully I wasn't too high up. Definitely going to have to use a timer via my phone or something.

One other thing I did want to say yesterday is how amazing this technology is in such a small package. After building the hybrid I was so amazed at how tiny it was, but then when this came in and I saw the board and all of the plug ins and how tiny it all is I was completely blown away! This is just amazing to me. No one would even dream of this type of stuff 10-15 years ago. Now it's a $58 "toy". Unreal!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,656 Posts
J,
Interesting comment on your LVC experience. Mine is the opposite. On my LB it gracefully and gradually descends and lands with props spinning, even if you push the throttle stick to full at LVC. It is the best LVC of all the micros I have flown.

I wonder why your LB LVC experience is so different?
Cheers,
Jim