HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by franke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:41 AM
on the edge
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Jul 2012
185 Posts
Build Log
Y6 Scorpion 650 into Hex+ build

I just got the idea a few weeks ago to get into RC. I saw the Scorpion frame and knew that was what I wanted. After compiling my parts list I thought that it would look cool as a Hex. I am going to do some modifications to add three more arms, an additional level or two or three and have landing gear at six points instead of the original weak pair of landing skids. This will be a slow boat not being designed for fast movements (except for falling out of the sky). I am putting a lot of weight into the lighting system. I have spent over 20 years designing, installing and programming special effect lighting systems in night clubs so the lighting part of this copter will be interesting. Think Tribal Scorpion meets Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

The copter parts:

2- Y6 Scorpion 650 fiberglass & aluminum frames
1- Rabbit CF Height Direction Fixed Flight Controller + Rabbit GPS Receiver Module
7- NTM Prop Drive 28-36 750KV / 265W
7- Hobby King 20A ESC 3A UBEC
7- NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack
3- Slow Fly Electric Prop 11x4.7SF (4 pc - Green)
3- Slow Fly Electric Prop 11x4.7R SF (4 pc - Green Right Hand Rotation)
3- ZC.4000.3S.25 - ZIPPY Compact 4000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
1- Signal loss Alarm & Lost Plane Finder
1- TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction
2- MultiCopter Multi-Tri Copter Power Battery to 8 ESC Connection Board
1- Mounting Plate Mount 45 Degree Adapter Flight Controller Protector for Multicopter
1- Hobbyking Y650 Scorpion Glass Fiber Landing Skid Supports (4pcs/bag)
1- Hobbyking Y650 Scorpion Hardware Set w/Battery Straps (complete) ((I will have 3 full sets of hardware))

Lights, Camera, Action!
9 channel light system with 280 LED + 3m Blue Fiber Optic cable.

The Rabbit FC has an eight channel low level LED output that I will connect to eight relays. It lets you scroll through 60 programs to chase the LEDs. The LED outputs is what sold me on the Rabbit FC.

Lighting parts:

8- Electronic Brick 5V Relay Module for Arduino
1- TURNIGY 8-15A UBEC for Lipoly
2- Turnigy Receiver Controlled Switch
1- Two Flashing Red LEDs (these will be the eyes of the scorpion)
6- 12 LED Cluster – ORANGE (these are probably yellow) will be mounted in Baja headlight housings
8- 6 LED Strip RED (under front boom for flight orientation, 1 strip for each channel)
12- 4LED Strip – BLUE (uplights on each green rotor)
5-4LED Strip – RED (scorpion fangs, eyebrows and stinger tip)
2- 3 LED Strip Red (scorpion fangs)
6- 4LED Strip – WHITE
6- 4LED Strip - GREEN
6- 4LED Strip - YELLOW
14- Multi Coloured Flashing 5mm LED with 1m Wire
3- 1m Fiber-Optic Lights for night flying (Blue)

All of the LEDs are prewired with plugs. I will be butchering them to eliminate the bulk of the wires and use common grounds to help keep the weight down. I will have to weigh all of the lights together before I start and keep all of the leftover wires and plugs from them to weigh so I can determine how much the final LED system weighs.

In addition to all of the above I also have lots of different types of connector ends, wire, heat shrink & a couple of power connection boards coming. One for motors and one for lighting. Throwing on a cheapo video recorder for now but will eventually go up to FPV, OSD and use the Rabbit gimble control.

Since I am just starting into this hobby I am also having to get a charger and power supply for it. I slightly underrated the power supply trying to save a little money. 380watt charger and 350watt power supply. It will be ok for now and should give me some decent charging times with the batteries being able to handle a 5C charge rate.

I also have a Walkera Devo 12S transmitter with 12 channel receiver on the way. I won’t fly (or crash) a $500.00 bird using a $50.00 transmitter. I see people on here running very expensive copters using $50.00 transmitters and I just don’t get it.

When it comes to installing a light system, I am a perfectionist. Every wire has to be perfect. All colored wires will have black heat shrink put on it. I will cut off the heat shrink on all ESCs and recover them with black heat shrink if any of the labels show when mounted. I will probably recover the batteries in black as well. I will be covering all white plastic standoffs, relays and remote switches with black heat shrink. When someone looks at this copter, I want the wiring to be the last thing you see, not one of the first. Five of the booms will be covered in black heat shrink and one boom will be covered in red. In theory, this should help slightly in vibration dampening by changing the resonant frequency of the booms and by adding a little insulation at connecting points. I ordered 20m of heat shrink tubing in 11 sizes and 3 colors. lol

Seven out of nine orders have been shipped within one week from GLB and HK. The first order should be arriving tomorrow.

I will be taking lots of pictures throughout this build justincase anyone else wants to mod a Y6 Scorpion like this.
franke is offline Find More Posts by franke
to remove ads between posts