HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I've read through the 18 pages of posts and have a few questions (excuse the noobness of them):
1. Can anyone explain the differences of the prop-driven wings as opposed to the EDF ones? Why would I want a prop driven wing instead of a ducted fan one? Brett, you have both in the family, can you compare them for me?
2. I think I favor the smaller Z-84 size(34") as opposed to the Phantom/Neptune wings(48"). Aside from weight, is there any advantage of a large versus small wing for stability, agility, etc.? I think from the aspect of transporting a smaller one and maybe the amount of available room, a smaller one might be better to start with.
3. I have heli and Champ experience, but nothing as far as a wing is concerned. I have a DX6i transmitter, so, I assume one of the orange HK receivers would work well? I have no idea how to set up the DX6i for it.
The 4 channel receiver is $9.95, but the 6 channel receiver is $5.95 (?). Anybody know what that's about? Which do you guys buy?
4. If I used the stock motor for a while, can I live with the stock ESC or should I get a higher- rated one right away?
5. If I don't have previous wing parts laying around, is there something I can buy or make to better protect the servos?
6. Is the narrow width string reinforced tape available in hobby shops or through HK? I might as well order it when/ if I order the WW.
7. Is this thing truly available through the US warehouse?!! I have yet to find ANYTHING I want available through that warehouse. I think that place is a possibility for MythBusters!!!!
8. Under "Accessories" is lists O-Rings. Does an O-Ring hold the motor to the mount?
Prop driven planes are more efficient than EDFs so you'll get longer flight times. However EDFs have a beautiful sound to them which is more impressive. Possibly slightly more responsive to the throttle with a prop. But not too much difference between the two really. If you don't have an EDF I'd lean that way just to have something different.
With the bigger size you do get a nicer flying plane that isn't as pitchy or prone to getting blown around. Really you can't get a nicer flyer than the Neptune.
However the Neppy isn't as customizable as the Wing Wing and lacks space under the canopy which makes bigger ESC and 4S difficult. Whereas you can easily hop up the Wing Wing to fly on 4S with a Funfighter motor if you like. Plus the size means you can fit it in any car easily, though the Neptune could fit in my Yaris still as wings don't have much height to them.
Both are great. If I had to pick one I'd go with the Neppy though.
BrettAltea is online now Find More Posts by BrettAltea
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:37 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Brett Good seeing you here.but you should be over in the mx2 threade telling us how you getting on with your 3dhehehehe just kidding around.I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this one.looks like I can have some super fun with it
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
631 Posts
Actually I had a head on car accident last week in an 80km/hr zone due to a woman texting swerving into my lane. Bloody amazing I'm alive but have a fractured left hand (had surgery last Monday) which means that I'm siting at home doing nothing and can't hold a transmitter yet .

Hopefully next week I can manage a couple of flights.

Brett's crashed Yaris (1 min 37 sec)
BrettAltea is online now Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:12 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPnut View Post
So after about 15 or so really great flights on my wing wing, it has started this bad habit of going into a death spiral stall...The wings and vertical stabs dont appear to be loose and the wings and fuse don't appear to be deformed. The servos and motor all appear to be working properly and secure.

What should I look at?
rearward CofG will cause the death spiral too.. try some nose weight or a heavier pack.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Actually I had a head on car accident last week in an 80km/hr zone due to a woman texting swerving into my lane. Bloody amazing I'm alive but have a fractured left hand (had surgery last Monday) which means that I'm siting at home doing nothing and can't hold a transmitter yet .

Hopefully next week I can manage a couple of flights.

http://youtu.be/dw4mY9pmz7M
JEES that's hectic.Sorry to hear.glad your ok though,could've been much worse.is she going to be prosecuted?
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:28 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Prop driven planes are more efficient than EDFs so you'll get longer flight times. However EDFs have a beautiful sound to them which is more impressive. Possibly slightly more responsive to the throttle with a prop. But not too much difference between the two really. If you don't have an EDF I'd lean that way just to have something different.
With the bigger size you do get a nicer flying plane that isn't as pitchy or prone to getting blown around. Really you can't get a nicer flyer than the Neptune.
However the Neppy isn't as customizable as the Wing Wing and lacks space under the canopy which makes bigger ESC and 4S difficult. Whereas you can easily hop up the Wing Wing to fly on 4S with a Funfighter motor if you like. Plus the size means you can fit it in any car easily, though the Neptune could fit in my Yaris still as wings don't have much height to them.
Both are great. If I had to pick one I'd go with the Neppy though.
Thanks for your thoughts. I really wanted a mini Neptune but don't see it available and, when I wrote an email to them asking about it, I never got a reply. Cars should be equipped such that cell phones and texting can't be done - AT ALL!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Thanks Brett, ill give it a shot!
MrPnut is offline Find More Posts by MrPnut
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:28 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Cars should be equipped such that cell phones and texting can't be done - AT ALL!!!!!!!
They have it in the US - mini CELL jammer built into the car so that there is no reception except for 911 calls and auto club. You don't need a phone in a car full stop. I have seen a lot worse - you are a very lucky man indeed.

Ben
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:46 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
They have it in the US - mini CELL jammer built into the car so that there is no reception except for 911 calls and auto club. You don't need a phone in a car full stop. I have seen a lot worse - you are a very lucky man indeed.

Ben
I guess I've never heard that and my son is a cop. If that is really true, why are we still trying to keep drivers off of cell phones and from texting?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:30 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
good call on the dual rates....i will start on a low % with those and raise them accordingly ..
Ditto that. Had the Z84 for a while now, but being an almost-newbie, I was too nervous to try flying it. Anyway, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go today, I set dual rates to 50% , expo at 25%. First two attempts at launching were dirt-eaters, so I whacked up the trim on the elvators - and bingo, off she went. Of course, I had to trim them back again straight away, but I was surprised how easy she was to control in the 8mph wind, but slow on the rolls.

Did some flying around for a while, but I made a poor landing. Anyway, with the lipo change I also raised the dual rates to 90%. Much more fun! My only mistake was to try inverted flight too close to the ground. The impact did little damage though. I cant' wait to get it back in the air now..

Quote:
..i also have lots of 1300 3s lipo's as well,just need to put some weight in the nose if i run those. with the 2200 lipo's my cg is bang on the middle of the nubs,with the 1300's its very tail heavy.
Yeah, the ad recommends a 2S 1300mAh lipo, so like a fool, I bought some. There was no way I could get the CofG anywhere near right with those, so I used my 3S 1300's instead. Still needed a piece of lead up front even so, but it works. ...next time out maybe I'll try the 2200mAh lipos I already have?
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:14 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
.. so, I assume one of the orange HK receivers would work well? I have no idea how to set up the DX6i for it...
I bought the 33" Z84 in basic kit form and I'm using the 6ch Orange and HK 15/18A ESC, and they work just fine running an AX1806 and 5x5 APC. Gives me 140Wp on my 3S 1300mAh lipos. At first I set 50% D/R and Expo 25% on my DX6i, but changed it after just one flight to 90% D/R - and I'm a raw newbie.

Quote:
5. If I don't have previous wing parts laying around, is there something I can buy or make to better protect the servos?
Might be a good idea to buy a servo protector. The servos are safely flush to the wing, but I did spring a clevis first time out...

Quote:
6. Is the narrow width string reinforced tape available in hobby shops or through HK? I might as well order it when/ if I order the WW.
I just used the glue that came with it - no reinforcing with tape, unless you're a petrol head..

Quote:
7. I.. I have yet to find ANYTHING I want available through that warehouse. I think that place is a possibility for MythBusters!!!!
Know what you mean, same with the UK warehouse - but strangely they did have the Z84!

Quote:
8. Under "Accessories" is lists O-Rings. Does an O-Ring hold the motor to the mount?
No, the only use I know for these is to hold the prop on when using 'prop-savers,' shouldn't need prop-savers with the Z84. The kit came with a plastic mount which takes 3mm bolts and nuts (not supplied). You just glue in the mount to the foam.
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:35 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
Had my wing wing z84 maiden today. Video is just uploading now. Crashed into a tree... twice lol. First time round the bit of foam that glues over the top of the motor mount just popped off... spent 30 mins looking for it, just as I was about to give up I found it.... no-where near the rest of the plane lol.

my specs are:
motor: 2826-6 2200kv - http://bit.ly/XWVhMW
ESC: 40A - http://bit.ly/Xcp7yW
LiPo: 1300mah 3S - http://bit.ly/12Ulwt9
prop: 6x4e - http://bit.ly/11N71bg

vid coming soon
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
as promised:

wing wing maiden (6 min 6 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:16 PM
computer geek
Joined Dec 2010
363 Posts
some screen caps of the vid, nice pics of the z-84

Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:56 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,450 Posts
Man I have hit trees and never popped a wing like that! I have of course tried to teach my kids to fly vua buddy box and took over too late on two occassions and hit the deck nose first and now my wing is cracked through the join to the fuse.

I am going to cut it back apart and then use epoxy to fix it.

You will have a lot of fun with this kit - I find it quite relaxing* (*When I fly and not the kids!)

BTW Nice Vid!
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT