HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:42 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,865 Posts
My WW has had a real beating, landed in two trees and recovered (thanks to my 10yo son), slammed the back end into the deck and seperated the motor mount (2 part epoxy fixes all sins!), have also gone nose in and cracked the front area - just filled with hot glue and then epoxy as well after.

My lad took over from me mid flight and I taught him circuit turns, nice and slow. Next outing he wanted to belly land and didn't take too long to catch on. Then he asked for me to throw and he took off and did a circuit and put if down nice and easy on the grass, beautiful floating landing. I was so proud of the boy! Great slow flyer to teach the kids the basics without the scary speedy bits.

I want another tx now so that I can buddy box as he wants to learn loops and rolls. This thing has had some real abuse and it keeps going.

I have rigged up KK multiswitch to the gear channel and used their LED nav light set and I am flying just before dusk. The other night the sunset was awesome and the harvest moon was sitting low in the sky with the WW flying across it with the lights going. What a sight! Wish I had someone with me with a camera to take a shot - it was nice warm weather here and a still night with little breeze - what a dream to fly!

BTW - I sticky tape down my canopy each flight! Just part of the pre flight chekck LOL!

Thinking of going the V70 EDF glider for some faster fun - today is my birthday after all and that means a licence to spend!!!
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:40 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
If your thinking of the V70 but love the Wing Wing then consider the Sonic 64 EDF/Techone Neptune as it is an awesome wing EDF.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
14 Posts
I like wing wing. small size but very stable.
Neptune is more big. but I think combined with EDF is very unbalance.
flying time, speed and thrust are very normal.
chul00 is offline Find More Posts by chul00
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,865 Posts
I have hit the button on the V70 - ordered last weekend and still waiting and only coming from Sydney!

I have just done some mods to the wing wing canopy as it had to be taped down all the time and the tape was taking off the black part of the canopy - I went and got some velcro and a hot glue gun.

Also have taken some pics of my nav light setup. Just go and download them now and drop them in....

Ben
Last edited by BennyT; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chul00 View Post
I like wing wing. small size but very stable.
Neptune is more big. but I think combined with EDF is very unbalance.
flying time, speed and thrust are very normal.
Have you actually flown one as your comments are contrary to my experience and what others have also reported. It is extremely stable to fly.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
My son bought me a Z84 for Christmas, built it up but as yet I don't have enough experience to be confident in my ability to fly it so today I got one of the guys at the club to maiden it. Neil is well known for his outrageous but safe testing of new aircraft but I have to say he had me just about cr***ing myself at the way he flew the Z84, then I couldn't help but join in with the general hilarity at his antics with it.

First off he got me to launch with a hard throw into the wind with the motor off, then he gave it half throttle for the two seconds it took him to determine it was set up ok. Following this was a two thirds throttle vertical climb that took the plane almost out of sight, probably about 1000 feet up, then a vertical spin to about 50 feet above the ground, ram the throttle open, screaming across the field in front of us at a few feet above the snow. Chuck in a few snap rolls, couple of high speed loops, then blast back up to the stratosphere. By this time my jaw had dropped, Neil was giggling, my son had a grin on his face that met at the back and the other club members were wanting to know just what the hell this speed machine was!

This continued for six minutes including a beautifully executed wide circuit of the field with the Z84 rolling the whole time. Also did a slow circuit on about quarter throttle, nicely stable, no vices. Neil finally landed and pronounced it a darned good plane but not for beginners as it needs constant attention in the air and I'll need a bit more practice before flying it myself.

The setup is an AXN Floater Jet motor, 6x4 APC pusher prop on a prop adapter, Turnigy Plush 25A ESC, Turnigy 3s 2200 battery and a Lemon Rx 6 channel receiver. Servos are those white Hobbyking digital 9g jobs and I've fitted servo fairings to protect the horns on landing. The underside has layers of glass weave tape and clear packing tape to protect it in landings. I didn't use a prop saver and noticed that when the motor was cut the prop stopped parallel to the wing so may be no need to use one. I checked the battery after this performance and the voltage had dropped to 11.9V and took 696mAH to recharge so there's clearly heaps in reserve. I reckon fights of up to 15 minutes are possible with this setup, especially if I don't use the throttle as much as Neil did.

Gordon
Gordonb is offline Find More Posts by Gordonb
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Here is my WingWing.

Setup:

Turnigy 2826 2200kv
Nanotec 1000mah 4s
Orange 610 RX with satelite
APC 5.5x4.5
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonb View Post
My son bought me a Z84 for Christmas, built it up but as yet I don't have enough experience to be confident in my ability to fly it so today I got one of the guys at the club to maiden it.
Whoa he sounds like one heck of a pilot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Here is my WingWing.
heh, cool pic
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Whoa he sounds like one heck of a pilot!
He certainly is, generally he flies 3D helicopter and quite frankly his ability terrifies me, flinging this huge copter all over the sky, high speed inverted low passes, spins, rolls, all sort of stuff a rotary wing was never meant to do. Neil loves testing planes and its a delight to watch him in action but a bit of a heart in mouth experience when the test subject is yours!

Gordon
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

heh, cool pic
:P Perhaps I have a split personality?

Who has the fastest WingWing?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Here is my wing wing z-84 in action! Getting it setup for FPV.

http://youtu.be/QYuyzlnIP0I
Nice footage there.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,865 Posts
@Gordon, throw in some expo on your wing wing - about 25-30% and don't crank it too hard and you will be fine. I was worried about it being my first plane but now love it to death.

Yours sounds like it has nitrous under the hood though! Nice setup as stock struggles to go vertical. Waiting for my V70 to come next week and that will be a whole another story!!

Ben
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
@Gordon, throw in some expo on your wing wing - about 25-30% and don't crank it too hard and you will be fine. I was worried about it being my first plane but now love it to death.

Yours sounds like it has nitrous under the hood though! Nice setup as stock struggles to go vertical. Waiting for my V70 to come next week and that will be a whole another story!!

Ben
I've already got dual rates set up on the tx, Neil flew it at 100% all round, hence the stunts. I agonised for weeks over the electrics package and settled on the Floater Jet motor as it is cheap, has a high kV and I've got a Floater Jet/Clouds Fly already, even though that's a glider it will just about go vertical. Even so I hadn't expected quite the performance the Z84 showed!

Gordon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
H ello all

I want one wing, but well for now budget is low...so would like to ask if someone can send me plans of the Sonic 64 EDF Wing EPO or the Neptune since the same, or even a draw with sizes and measures, so i can build my own thanks all for the help.

Regards
Kalash is offline Find More Posts by Kalash
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
457 Posts
too much for shipping
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina