202 Posts
Wing Wing 3700kv (7 min 18 sec)
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
My ten year old son flew his Wing Wing for the second time today via buddy box. It's the PNF version that came with motor/ESC. Flying it on 2S 1300mah, though I did use an ESC from a Funfighter as the included 10amp looked a little puny and this gives me the option later on to swap the motor to a Funfighter motor for a lot more speed.
The stock motor is perfectly setup for my son, though would be under powered for more experienced pilots.
Great little flyer that's nice and manouverable. Can also glide nice and slow as well, though got to be gentle with the turns while slow as when it stalls it can drop out of the sky.
Didn't Velcro the battery in for the initial flight which was a mistake as the battery fell out however the Wing Wing is light enough without the battery that it just floated gracefully down. Another time I had it set on high rates and, while low to the ground, pulled up hard on the elevator which caused it to spiral out of control. I think the tight turning induced a stall but now have my elevator throws limited on high rates.
This plane is very tough and handles bad "landings" better than any other plane I know. I really like this plane as it is quite easy to fly, though not as easy as my other sons Sonic 64 EDF wing.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
finally had some decent weather today so took the WW out,among other planes and had a blast with it. it was getting dark so decided to put one more battery through it before i went home. yup,you guess it, l b s (last battery syndrome) bit me. i was flat out,right down the other end of the field and pulled a high g turn....only to see the canopy eject and flutter down somewhere into the next field.

went and had a look for it, but needle in a haystack would be a good analogy here. no sign of it anywhere.

grounded now until i can get a new canopy. they don't stock them in the uk warehouse so it will be the slow boat from china that brings it. tried ebay as well,but all that's on there is the plane itself,no spares. just tried to order it from hk but came to realise im about £3 short in the bank. xmas cleaned me out.

not happy.

no flying the WW for 2 or 3 weeks now. that sucks!
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:22 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Here's mine:
WingWing Z-84 (6 min 2 sec)

HK 24g 3000kv
30A ESC
4.75x4.75 APC-E prop
NanoTech 3-cell 1300mAh 45/90C

Just wondering what I need to do to get some decent speed out of it
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
mine runs a plush 40a esc, 2200kv motor, 6x4 apc (but am going to test graupner 6.5x6.5 for more speed!) and a 2200 40c lipo and it does about 80/90mph flat out on a level run with no wind and no dive. maybe even a little faster. i dont have a radar to tell for sure but i know my stryker does 90mph under the same conditions so i am comparing it to that.

can highly recommend my setup if its speed you are after. the WW handles the speed very well......

or with your current set up you could just stick a 6x4 prop on there,that should speed things up nicely. be careful with the duration of wot runs with a 30a esc....might be worth putting a 40a in there if you have one.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
went back to the field today to have another look for the canopy. took one of my sons with me,and the little star only went and bloody found it! was well happy.

from where it was i must of walked past it 4 or 5 times. sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes.

anyway,luckily i had the ww in the boot so put the canopy back on and away she went. with the graupner 6.5x6.5 on there its even faster! im talking just a blur here when i run it wot at low level. going to have to find out just how fast it is.

i ran about 4 batterys through it before i decided i was going to head home.

on the 4th battery i got bitten by l.b.s again. launched it an opened it up straight away. not really sure what happened,but some how she ended up rolling over and given i was only 20ft off the ground,i didnt have time to recover. she went down behind a hedge with a very loud thump!

damage was not as bad as thought it would be. i was expecting it to be in half. instead the motor mount had ripped out and was down by the nose along with the esc. a few cracks and splits around the nose area and a split in the canopy. just finished the repair now,which only took 20 mins and she is ready to fly again.

looking forward to letting her rip with that prop on again. the speed really is something else. i was in 2 minds as to if its faster than my stryker with the 6x4 prop on. now there is no doubt in my mind, this thing would leave my stryker eating its turbulence now!

couldnt be happier with the wing wing.

(have noticed it tends to dive a bit under wot now,but is easy to correct for. as long as you are not too low when you open it up and dont forget to give it some up ele)
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:14 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post

(have noticed it tends to dive a bit under wot now,but is easy to correct for. as long as you are not too low when you open it up and dont forget to give it some up ele)
mine does the same diving at wot, removed downthrust from the engine mount which improved it but it still does it, maybe the elevons are flexing ?.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
mine does the same diving at wot, removed downthrust from the engine mount which improved it but it still does it, maybe the elevons are flexing ?.
could very well be yeah. i still have the down thrust in my mount but i might remove it and see how much it helps. failing that i will mix in a bit of up ele to throttle and see if i can cancel it out with that. so far its the only bad habit i have noticed with the wing.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
grounded again. seems the 6.5x6.5 prop may of been a bit much for my motor. when i landed the motor fell out. thought the mount had snapped. nope! it melted.

dont know how im going to mount the motor now. dont think you can buy the mount as a spare so im buggered! :0(
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
well, apparently you can buy the mount separate. that's the good news. the bad news is its backorder and stock is expected in 4 to 7 weeks :0(
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:53 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
Thinking of making balsa elevons for the Z84.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Thinking of making balsa elevons for the Z84.
worth a shot. might stop that dive at high speed....
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:25 PM
The Need4Speed
Malaysia, Perak, Ipoh
Joined Aug 2008
933 Posts
mmurder1975,

What 2200kv motor are you using?

Thanks.
fooyukvoon is offline Find More Posts by fooyukvoon
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, NY, Patchogue
Joined May 2012
36 Posts
High speed diving/loop stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
worth a shot. might stop that dive at high speed....
I found that at extreme throws my elevons weren't quite in sync. It was causing nasty tip stalls. Set the limits at about 85% and the problem is gone. Still has tons of throw.

The down-thrust on the motor is an issue with high power set-ups. My buddy and I are 3d printing some motor mounts with the tilt removed and set-up for AXN floater jet motors. (we're both running that motor)

If they turn out well I'll make them available here for people that need them. I'll post in this thread as I complete them. (This weekend)
vespizzari is offline Find More Posts by vespizzari
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespizzari View Post
I found that at extreme throws my elevons weren't quite in sync. It was causing nasty tip stalls. Set the limits at about 85% and the problem is gone. Still has tons of throw.

The down-thrust on the motor is an issue with high power set-ups. My buddy and I are 3d printing some motor mounts with the tilt removed and set-up for AXN floater jet motors. (we're both running that motor)

If they turn out well I'll make them available here for people that need them. I'll post in this thread as I complete them. (This weekend)

sounds good. i really really need one of those! i can not get a motor mount anywhere so im grounded for anything up to 2 months while i wait for hk to get stock in. please let me know if you manage to make it work as id really like one.