HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
need some of you lateral thinkers to help me out. my wing is currently set up so it balances with a 2200 3s lipo in the nose,which ihave a lot of. i also have a lot of 1300 3s lipos i would also like to utilise for this wing.
my problem being the 1300 lipos are considerably lighter than the 2200's. so i need some method of adding removable weight into the nose so i can use the 1300's as well.

i need some method of attaching and detaching quick and clean so im able to do it at the field. i considered velcro but it raises the weights too far from the surface and the hatch wont close because the battery blocks it.
the weights im planning on using are those wheel balance weights you get at the garage and the ideal place to put them as far as i can see is the underside of the canopy. dont want to put anything on the outside of the fuse and disrupt those beautiful lines this wing has,want to keep it as streamlined as possible. any suggestions are greatly received!

just had a thought....maybe a spare canopy would be the way forward so i can attach the weight to it...but can you even get spares for this wing?!
The extra canopy is not a bad idea... HK sells it:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...no_decal_.html

cheers
Lancelot_link is offline Find More Posts by Lancelot_link
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
ah good stuff. thanks for the link. i guess a spare canopy would be the most simple and quickest way to achieve what i need. that way i can just fix the weight to it permanently and just swap canopys when i want to use the 1300's. think thats what i will do,unless anyone has any better ideas with the canopy i have at the moment.
in the mean time i will just use the 2200's.
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:33 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Beautiful sunny day, high 40s, very little breeze so had a couple more flights with my Wing today.
I shaved down the motor-mount cover with an X-Acto a little since it seemed like the thick and "kicked-up" trailing edges blocked a good amount of airflow towards the inside of the prop (where it get's the biggest "bite").
Tough to tell if the speed&power were much improved, but overall efficiency definitely went up!
I flew for 6 minutes each with two 1300mAh batteries, mostly around 50% throttle but with plenty of WOT vertical climbs and a couple high speed fly bys. The batteries only took back ~550mAh to fully charge so that's less than 100mAh/minute!
On the previous outing she used up 800mAh in 5 minutes, though thinking back I'm not 100% sure the battery was fully charged. I think it was, but it just seems like way too much of a difference in efficiency from today for the relatively small mod.
In any event, getting 7 minutes from a 1300mAh without even pushing the battery is all I can ask for. On one flight with my Radjet it took almost 1400mAh to recharge. Didn't even puff the battery I LOVE these!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

After 5 flights really getting a good feel for the WW. Lots of fun to smoothly cruise around at low throttle, then punch it and rocket straight up.
The canopy did fly off halfway through my second flight, will put a little tab on the front edge to lock it in better.
tally ho!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
sounds good kurt! i did a couple of small mods to my wing too. i have my control surfaces set up for max movement,i like big throws and just tame it down with expo. the control horns did seem quite large to me and i had visions of ripping them out when i land on grass. so to avoid this i trimmed them off,leaving just the lowest hole that i have the clevis on and the next hole up should i decide to move them. this lowered the profile quite a lot,no more worries about snagging them on landing.
i also used a couple of servo arm protectors off my old,now dead,radjet as stripping the gears also seemed quite likely on landing. and i stuck a rare earth magnet under the hatch and one on the fuse,keeps it nice and snug when combined with snapping it down onto the glass fibre rod.

another area of concern to me were the underside of the winglets where they come to a point. so i gave them 2 or 3 coats of thin ca,waited for that to dry and carefully wrapped the underside of the winglets in fibre glass tape,hopefully that will keep them attached to the plane!

still waiting to maiden mine.the weather just isn't playing ball,as usual! hopefully all my mods will be worth while and i wont nose it on the maiden and snap it in half!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
good mod with the servo protectors - I have a few lying around as well should probably do this.
What do you have for a motor and prop?
As long as you have the CG close to the nubs and elevons set maybe just a hair "up" launching is dead easy. Mid throttle (I bump it up with my mouth so right hand is on the stick), light, level toss in the wind with the finger detents and she'll cruise away gentle as can be.
I'd definitely dial the elevator dual rates WAY down. 60% on mine (with the linkages on the second highest hole) with 40% expo is plenty to crank serious pitch changes at anything over ~50% input. I'm leaving the aileron D/R at 100% (have a 3-way switch with the 1st set at 70%, 2nd at 85% and 3rd 100%) and also 40% expo. She still doesn't exactly snap roll on full input like the Radjet but quick enough.

The field yesterday was fairly damp with goose poo everywhere so on the second landing I slowed her down as much as possible (man she glides far!) and actually caught her in the air with my left hand. Good thing the nose is quite blunt!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
good mod with the servo protectors - I have a few lying around as well should probably do this.
What do you have for a motor and prop?
As long as you have the CG close to the nubs and elevons set maybe just a hair "up" launching is dead easy. Mid throttle (I bump it up with my mouth so right hand is on the stick), light, level toss in the wind with the finger detents and she'll cruise away gentle as can be.
I'd definitely dial the elevator dual rates WAY down. 60% on mine (with the linkages on the second highest hole) with 40% expo is plenty to crank serious pitch changes at anything over ~50% input. I'm leaving the aileron D/R at 100% (have a 3-way switch with the 1st set at 70%, 2nd at 85% and 3rd 100%) and also 40% expo. She still doesn't exactly snap roll on full input like the Radjet but quick enough.

The field yesterday was fairly damp with goose poo everywhere so on the second landing I slowed her down as much as possible (man she glides far!) and actually caught her in the air with my left hand. Good thing the nose is quite blunt!

good call on the dual rates....i will start on a low % with those and raise them accordingly as i do like plenty of control authority and a quick response to input...just have to find that balance between expo and travel.i usually settle for about 85% travel and 30% expo on my wings...makes them nice and snappy.

im running a plush 40a,a 2200kv motor and a 6x4 apc prop (might put a graupner 6.5x6.5 on there,see what thats like) and powered by 2200 3s 40c lipo's. i also have lots of 1300 3s lipo's as well,just need to put some weight in the nose if i run those. with the 2200 lipo's my cg is bang on the middle of the nubs,with the 1300's its very tail heavy.

its such a light airframe im hoping that setup is going to get some decent speed. if i can get it close to the speed of my stryker i will be a happy man
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:12 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Hi Guys!

It has been a while but I have had about 2-3 packs per night about every second or third night for the last 2 wks, so getting heaps of stick time.

My power setup is stock - my COG is basically like the guys said - the nubs or little mounds just in front of the spar - I balance it on my finger tips by them with a fully loaded wing and adjust the battery from there.

I am using 2S 1600Mah Nanotechs - I put the end of the pack right up against the nose wall. I have placed a velcro strap trimmed really thinly through the air intakes and over the pack, also using a velcro patch on one end of the pack to stop it sliding. Putting back in around 800Mah. Yes - half a pack!

I have used the HK Nav light set - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_System.html switching with this unit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...f_Switch_.html

The switch unit is stuck under the canopy right at the front and the the nav light hub sits just in front of the carbon spar inside - just enough room between the battery. Switch unit works off gear channel - cycle channel 4 times and the lights come on - same and they go off. I have wired directly into XT60 Power plug rather than ESC.

I have found that I can fly about 2/3 - 3/4 throttle and get close to 15 minutes per pack just doing circuits and some light loops and rolls. Great flying on dusk with the nav setup.

I had about 15% expo in for myself, then I was teaching my son to fly and bumped it up to 25% and it tames it a lot. Don't know how you can fly it with 60%! Maybe it is because I have tamed my touch with the helis?

I also found that the wind really affects the wing and did not think of the KK board - I have a spare V1 sitting in the draw. How did you guys who are using one set it up to work properly????

Wonder if I could squeeze it in? Refer to post 137 for a pic link. Will take another pic with the lights and boards in.

Love the wing wing and is my favourite to fly at present - even more than my helis!

By the way it helps if you have different size packs to slide a large coin under the battery in the nose!

I also caught some stakes holding up a tree right in the leading edge and banged them up a bit - today I have glued some clear plastic sheet over the dents with the hot glue gun and also hot glued my LED set on.
Ben
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Last edited by BennyT; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thanks for the link to the light set up ben. i have been thinking about lights but had no idea what i was looking for. cant help with the kk board im afraid, never used one,prob never will.

good to hear you are introducing a youngster to the wing. my boys were interested for about 5 mins and that was it. they would rather play football and xbox. cant please everyone i suppose!

anyway...finally got to do the maiden today. first chuck not enough throttle so it just belly flopped onto the grass. 2nd try with a bit more power and away she went.
i was going for speed with this wing and man, i was not left wanting!

its insanely quick on my setup.
had to be doing about 40mph just on half throttle. so i took it down the field and 80ft high,turned it round to face me and gunned it. i wish i had someone to radar it for me is all i can say about that. there was no tail wind (or any at all) and it was a straight,level run. this thing had to be hitting the 90's! it was just a blur as it went past me.

im used to flying my big styrker flat out and i know that hits 90mph+...this thing was as fast,if not a bit faster!
my hands were shaking when i eased off the throttle and i needed to calm myself down a bit. what a rush!

i must of set it up pretty good too,as it took no trim on any tab to correct for unwanted pitch or roll. flew straight and level at all throttle positions,which is a first for me as i usually spend the 1st battery getting a new plane trimmed out.

unlimited vert on this thing too,can only point it up and gun it for 2 seconds before its just a dot in the sky. but when it is and i cut the throttle this thing just glides and glides and glides.

dont even need to hold any up elevator when it glides to keep the nose up,it just descends very slowly. think i had about a 3 min glide with it at one point (caught a thermal) before i needed to throttle up and take it back up...but slow things right down with just a tiny bit of throttle and its a pussy cat,had mine just a little faster than walking pace and it was still flying straight and level. cant fault it.

the roll rate was pretty good for a wing too.glad i set up plenty of travel on it now and it can do nice tight loops or long lazy ones. might even up the travel a bit and see if i can get it to roll faster. love the way the stryker can roll like a drill bit so if i can get close to that with this i will be very happy.

all in all,very happy with this wing,it flies great,looks great and can handle a rough landing or two. my new favourite wing and a strong contender for my got to plane. its certainly a close call between this and the stryker.

cant wait to get out and run some more batterys through it!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Felton
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
Hi everyone. So I built the kit with the AXN floater motor, an FrSky 6 chn 2 way receiver and a Mystery 30 amp no-frills ESC I pulled out of my dead FPV rig. I'm running a 6x5 prop I had kicking around, but it's kind of weak material so I may swap out to a nicer 5x5 or 6x4. (I fully expect the prop not to survive the first landing, but I've got a big bag of them so what the hell.)

CG/Balance is perfect with the battery almost against the wing spar. I put the ESC and Receiver behind the spar in front of the motor where they get good air flow.

I was going to maiden today but it is much too windy. I did a couple Alula style side launches with the prop off to check the CG and it seems spot on. I'm curious to see what slow flight performance is like.

This thing really would make a cool powered slope wing I think. My build is a little heavy but that would only help with the winds we get in Santa Cruz.

I bought two of these because they were so cheap. I might try an ultra-light build on 2S and see what kind of duration I can get. I have a 19g 2900KV motor and 11amp ESC kicking around...
vespizzari is offline Find More Posts by vespizzari
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
711 Posts
Hiya,

Hope you all had a great Festive holiday and wishing everyone an exceptionally good New Year

My wing wing arrived xmas eve, wasn't expecting it till after the holidays, came from the new UK warehouse. I ordered it 21st it arrived 24th so three days. Im not used to that sort of speed from HK, it usually sits in the warehouse for longer than that before they ship it. So am Well pleased.

OK im a Multicopter man, quads and Tri's(ive got 10 of them lol) and i also fly heli's, well sort of fly as i can only fly tail in.
So this is my first RC plane, i used a Turnigy Park250 motor 2200 kv and a cut down 6x4 prop so that WOT is showing just under 8 amps, a little high but i wont be blasting it for a while. The esc is an RC timer(hobbywing) 20 amp that i had spare, so loads of headroom there, and xt900 servo's that got bought for a heli yonks ago. Build went great, epoxied everything as im not sure about foam glue. Not much could go wrong with the build its so straight forward.(famous last words what have i forgotten)
Im using my DX8 tx and it was quite easy to set up on elevon, just had to reverse the aileron left and right leads as i couldnt get the direction right and the elevators going the right way because reversing the servo's in the DX8 also reversed the elevators. I've subtrimmed the servo's so that the aileron lines up with the wing tips. Also i have the servo arms on the lowest hole and the linkage on the highest hole to reduce the throw of the elevator/aileron to make it as mild as possible for its maiden flight which judging by the weather we are getting here will not be this week. I have some fibre glass tape on its way to tape the underside of the pod and the nose and leading edge of the wings for those inevitable crashes that i will get. I will be using a 2.200mah 2S Nanotech and it balances on the nubs with the lipo front about 3/4 inch back from the front. So i am ready to go. Thanks for this thread because without it i wouldnt have got a wing wing.

Cheers(*Hic)
Ray
whiteturbo is offline Find More Posts by whiteturbo
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:52 PM
FPV Pilot
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Sep 2007
2,448 Posts
Here is my wing wing z-84 in action! Getting it setup for FPV.

Wing Wing Z-84 with #16 Keychain Cam (10 min 25 sec)
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:34 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteturbo View Post
've subtrimmed the servo's so that the aileron lines up with the wing tips. Also i have the servo arms on the lowest hole and the linkage on the highest hole to reduce the throw of the elevator/aileron to make it as mild as possible for its maiden flight which judging by the weather we are getting here will not be this week. I have some fibre glass tape on its way to tape the underside of the pod and the nose and leading edge of the wings for those inevitable crashes that i will get. I will be using a 2.200mah 2S Nanotech and it balances on the nubs with the lipo front about 3/4 inch back from the front. So i am ready to go. Thanks for this thread because without it i wouldnt have got a wing wing.

Cheers(*Hic)
Ray
@ Ray,

To me sounds like you have a little too much reflex set up in the elevons - I went up about the thickness of the foam material - about 5-6mm or so from level. I also set my linkages up for max throw but dialled up about 20% expo on each. My 1600 nanotech touches the front inside lip and balances on the nub, yours is slightly bigger so going a tad further back may be right. Fibregalss tape is a great idea as I just cracked my nose! Good luck with the maiden and have a great New Year too!

@BLUEPRINT - (A) What the heck is the setup on that thing, those rolls are insanely quick and that is fast - (B) what is the keychain cam you were using as I will buy one straight away ?? that vision was great!

Ben
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
FPV Pilot
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Sep 2007
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
@ Ray,

To me sounds like you have a little too much reflex set up in the elevons - I went up about the thickness of the foam material - about 5-6mm or so from level. I also set my linkages up for max throw but dialled up about 20% expo on each. My 1600 nanotech touches the front inside lip and balances on the nub, yours is slightly bigger so going a tad further back may be right. Fibregalss tape is a great idea as I just cracked my nose! Good luck with the maiden and have a great New Year too!

@BLUEPRINT - (A) What the heck is the setup on that thing, those rolls are insanely quick and that is fast - (B) what is the keychain cam you were using as I will buy one straight away ?? that vision was great!

Ben
Hi Ben.

Using MG90 servos, 60a esc, 6x4 apc prop and a sunnysky 2212 3000kv motor.

I was using a 3s for the video but i now fly it with a 4s 1800kv setup.

Camera is a #16 HD Keychain Camera with the wide lens. Lots of us fpv guys use them since they are small and lightweight.

Plane is being setup with video equipment as we speak. Hopefully i can have it ready to go soon.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Plane is being setup with video equipment as we speak. Hopefully i can have it ready to go soon.
Very nice video, and flying!

If you could please let us know the FPV equipment (transmitter, goggles, etc) with links I'd be much appreciated. 2013 may be the year I take the FPV plunge but there's so much info it's very tough to know what works well for relatively little money.

I took my WW out last week for some cold weather flying.
6 minutes with the 2826-2200kV and 6x5 prop only uses around 600 mAh from the 1300mAh, 45-90C 3S Nano-Techs so I'll bump the timer up to to 8 minutes next time.
Also added a CF rod in the front edge of the canopy that fits into a CF tube glued into the fuse so no more ejection-seat style canopy deployments mid-flight
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Got my modified wing up today... What fun....

3700KV 3S, 70 amp ESC....

Link
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas