HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:42 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
good idea with the tape to allow dis-assembly!

Well I had a semi-successful maiden today.
She took off smartly right out of my hand with ~50% throttle, but I immediately regretted not dialing in any expo to the elevator. I did for the aileron and she flew wings-level nicely, but pitch was ueber sensitive (put the linkages on the second-highest control horn hole, second highest servo horn hole).
After about 30 seconds cruising at <40% throttle I tried turning her around for a gentle landing so I could program in some Elev expo when suddenly she went into a death spiral from around 40', nose first.
Thanks to taping the nose and wings there's very minimal airframe damage (just a small amount of crumpled nose), but when I got to the plane saw that the plastic motor mount and foam mount-cover had totally separated from the airframe.
I had used CA & kicker to fix the mount and cover, but forgot that CA doesn't stick well at all to smooth EPO....
So now I've got the mount and cover clamped with gorilla glue and a ~1" piece of 5mmx1mm CF strip spiking both sides of the cover to the main foam airframe.
I suspect the mount shifted in the foam, or probably came totally out and the suddenly flopping motor caused the total loss of control.
She'll be ready for a re-maiden tomorrow, this time with 30% expo, control links on the highest elevon control horn hole and a very securely glued motor mount
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash.... It's part of the package I guess. Anyway... If she can live another day to fly wasn't that bad! Mine is in the outer hole in both ends, and 25% expo.... feels good.
good luck for tomorrow!
Lancelot_link is offline Find More Posts by Lancelot_link
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
I hear you. Any crash that doesn't require serious repairs, let alone a walk to the garbage can, isn't bad at all!

Today's rainy and windy so no re-maiden, but hopefully in a few days.

Here's a pic of the set-up. CG is right about on the little nubs on the belly - is that pretty much where you'd recommend?
I didn't use the little weight that came with it.

What glue are y'all using to fix the servos? I used a couple shots of hot-glue but after the first "flight" noticed the servos wiggling a bit so with only a bit of effort popped them out.
Nervous about using something TOO good (i.e. gorilla glue) in case I ever need to replace one.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I hear you. Any crash that doesn't require serious repairs, let alone a walk to the garbage can, isn't bad at all!

Today's rainy and windy so no re-maiden, but hopefully in a few days.

Here's a pic of the set-up. CG is right about on the little nubs on the belly - is that pretty much where you'd recommend?
I didn't use the little weight that came with it.

What glue are y'all using to fix the servos? I used a couple shots of hot-glue but after the first "flight" noticed the servos wiggling a bit so with only a bit of effort popped them out.
Nervous about using something TOO good (i.e. gorilla glue) in case I ever need to replace one.
Hi Kurt,

Regarding CG mine is about the same spot. For fixing the servos I use a little trick that might be helpful in this case... I wrap around the servos with some scotch tape and use foam safe glue... will easier in this way if you need to change them cause the glue sticks to the tape and not to the servo itself.
Hope you have a good one!

cheers

Lance

Name: z84 top.jpg
Views: 175
Size: 86.3 KB
Description:

Name: z84 belly.jpg
Views: 237
Size: 94.4 KB
Description:
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
Good tip with the servos Lance!
I already re-glued them with Gorilla Glue, we'll see how durable Hobbyking's cheap and cheerful HXT900s really are!

Today was cold (~35F) but light winds so drove over to the local park for a second try at lunchtime. This time, success!!
Even with 60% D/R and 30% expo the elevator was still touchier and I'd like, but overall balance was good and she sliced around the sky nicely.
The general shape made me thinking I was flying my old Radjet, however the WingWing has slower roll, more pronounced pitch, and glides much better so it's really a quite different feel.
Found myself cruising around at <50% throttle most of the time but she has the power to accelerate strongly in the vertical or push through a stiff breeze when needed.
The 1st battery used up ~800mAh in 4 minutes of mostly 50-75% throttle. A bit more thirsty than I thought she'd be but 5 minutes from a 1300mAh is enough, and I also have a couple 1800mAh 3S Zippys that fit and aren't much heavier.
About 1/2 way through my second battery the winds really started to pick up (is it just me or does it seem to anyone else that a sure way to go from a calm day to a windy one is to get out your RC planes or helis? lol) so I called it a day.
Can't wait to take her up again (this time will try 40% expo on elev), she's a fun little flier!
cheers
Kurt
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Great mate!! congrats!... what about speed? what's your estimation?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
thanks!
Good question about the top speed. I didn't have the confidence yet to do any sustained WOT runs, so purely a guess maybe 60mph or thereabouts?
Enough power to do HUGE loops, which look great.
The 6x4 prop I tried on her first flight was vibrating a little (which probably caused the initial motor mount to break the CA bond) the so I swapped it with a 6x5.5 that ran very smoothly. Will have to test the A & wattage later to see what it's pulling on the bench.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
hey folks. got this today to add to the collection. im running a 2200kv motor,3s 1300,30a esc and an apc 6x4. not flown it yet. the issue im having is i can not tell where the cg is meant to be via the manual as it seems to of printed incorrectly and i cant read it. can anyone tell me how far back from the nose the cg should be at please?

thanks!

ps... i have a few wings (and planes) and all the wings have a level thrust line....what would the reason be for the mount on this to be made to angle the motor down a few degrees? and is everyone leaving that thrust angle factory or getting rid of it? id rather leave as is as i have already mounted everything and apart from not knowing the cg,its ready to go!

pps..(sorry!) anyone got any idea what sort of top end i can expect with my set up? im really starting to get into speed,thanks to my stryker (big and small) and im looking for a similar rush with this. (also have my eye on the funjet ultra for my b day after crimbo!)
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
Last edited by mrmurder1975; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
can anyone tell me how far back from the nose the cg should be at please?
Mine has little nubs on the bottom of the wings just in front of the finger grips, I balanced mine on these and it flew nicely with the stock (i.e. tipped down a bit) motor mount.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Mine has little nubs on the bottom of the wings just in front of the finger grips, I balanced mine on these and it flew nicely with the stock (i.e. tipped down a bit) motor mount.

great,thanks kurt. think my motor must be a bit heavy as mine will not balance there with the 1300 3s i was going to use. i have plenty 2200 3s so i chucked one of those in and it balances,with just a slight nose down attitude,a couple of mm forward of the nubs..... should be ok there i would of thought. im never too fussy with cg on my wings,as long as its in the ballpark they are very flyable. bit wary of the hk ss 25/30 esc handling the larger battery combined with the motor and prop.....

had one of those esc's catch fire mid flight a while ago and it all but trashed my plane. might pull the plush 40a off one of my wings and use that....just in case. being as i plan on running this wing wot a lot if its fast enough (or even if its not!)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, CA, Felton
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
I've been reading through the thread and haven't seen the answer to this question:

Has anyone tried to build one of these using an AXN Floater Jet (Clouds Fly) motor?

I've got a few lying around and some esc's. I'm thinking it would make a great combo.
vespizzari is offline Find More Posts by vespizzari
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespizzari View Post
I've been reading through the thread and haven't seen the answer to this question:

Has anyone tried to build one of these using an AXN Floater Jet (Clouds Fly) motor?

I've got a few lying around and some esc's. I'm thinking it would make a great combo.
someone in the review section for this on hk site was going to use the axn motor but never posted back to say how it went. but i dont see why you could not use it. in fact,thats the motor i was going to use as well until i remembered i had the one i have on it now laying around. in hindsight,i would of gone with the anx motor instead as its a lot lighter than what i have on there now. if this motor turns out to not be a good choice,i will be going to the axn motor anyway.

if you do use it,please post back and let us know how it went.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot_link View Post
Well guys, I'm sorry to tell you that the KK does fit... I been flying with it for two weeks now...
Was a little tricky to get the CG right but works...
I have to agree that the wing is pretty stable in normal conditions and you wont need it... but it makes a hell of a difference with gusty winds.
Anyway I install it on the Wing Wing not because is a nice platform to test the Openaero.

Cheers!

Attachment 5350770
Because delivery of Z-84 from HK takes long (they shiped 2 weeks ago) I decided to build a foam wing and test KK board on it:

And have a question: what value do you set on potentiometers on the board for yaw, pitch and roll?
I have it on 50% and wing is not stable
pobieranie11 is offline Find More Posts by pobieranie11
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
need some of you lateral thinkers to help me out. my wing is currently set up so it balances with a 2200 3s lipo in the nose,which ihave a lot of. i also have a lot of 1300 3s lipos i would also like to utilise for this wing.
my problem being the 1300 lipos are considerably lighter than the 2200's. so i need some method of adding removable weight into the nose so i can use the 1300's as well.

i need some method of attaching and detaching quick and clean so im able to do it at the field. i considered velcro but it raises the weights too far from the surface and the hatch wont close because the battery blocks it.
the weights im planning on using are those wheel balance weights you get at the garage and the ideal place to put them as far as i can see is the underside of the canopy. dont want to put anything on the outside of the fuse and disrupt those beautiful lines this wing has,want to keep it as streamlined as possible. any suggestions are greatly received!

just had a thought....maybe a spare canopy would be the way forward so i can attach the weight to it...but can you even get spares for this wing?!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Your wing looks neat man!... but I don;t think my setup will help you in anything except we have the same board and the same plane... Mines are around 50% and I have no issues so far. And with "not stable" do you mean that the model itself is not stable or the board is not stabilizing it? Check CG... that's probably your issue.

Good luck with that and cheers!