SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Discussion
New wing for the micro stryker guts

Not sure if I should post here or the foamies scratch build but here it is. I crashed/melted the micro stryker a while back and the guts are just sitting there. I figured I would build a wing out of some dollar tree foam. I figured i would just the stock guts minus the rudders. I may use my 9303 and see if I can mix the rudder/ailerons and use split ailerons to act as ailerons/flaps. Dont know, may have to play with it...

I want this wing to have a larger wing span as I would prefer a little more gliding a little less "OH GOD!"

Seeing as how I have never built a wing this will be a "unique" experience. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share them. I will pretty much be relying on previous experience with repairing/building aerobatic planes. This may take a few weeks for the build if I have to grab some new electronics but im hoping for a quick easy build. That and I have to do a little research on how this wing will work exactly.

Adam
VS

O, and I all I have is MS Paint to design this little thing so if the sketches are a little rough, sorry
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by verticalspark; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Reserved
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
So I did a little work/thinking while at work today. Im thinking it may be around 8-10mm thick. If the concept works I may go with the blunt nose.

I am going to use twin servos per aileron so I dont over stress them. But now I have to order some servo extensions so the electronics will be a while.

As for the winglets Im not sure if they are going to be 3" tall or reduced to 2.5"-2". Guess it depends on how well they work at a smaller size.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:51 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
339 Posts
What about something the size of the new Micro-Swift by MS Composite?
I think by the time you get a 30in span size wing built with reinforcment, glue, tape,
etc, it will be too heavy for the Strykers stuff., since the stryker was light to begin with. The Swift family always glided well if kept light. Maybe you can add an inch or two to the overall size if you want. Take a look at the bottom of my thread above, and see a couple pics of the little swift. @ 16in WS.
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
I considered building a much larger swift. The point of this little build is more of a way to spend essentially no money $10-$15 and keep my mind working after work.

Not really a serious build, just something to play around with.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:37 PM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
339 Posts
Yeah, that's cool. Maybe a little smaller then, but still similar to the design of the Swift.
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
it may get smaller, thinner or more stupid who knows! this is one giant experiment that i can almost guarantee will change day by day.

I do really want a large swift after these wings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
I did something +- similar ended up with that: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523118
Except my motor is crap in comparison with the one from the um stryker

Still tiny micro wing are a lot of fun
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
How did it work with the FPV? I have wanted to try FPV but wanted to start with a quad copter.

Been kinda busy fixing the jeep, the wing will have to wait till tomorrow morning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:55 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
I like wings better than quads for fpv. it's a different kind of fun. quads, helis, etc are cool but slow. its nice indoor or for making movies. flipping the most aerobatics quads while fpving isn't as much fun imo.. they're fun to flip around in 3rd person tho

wings are fast and i like that better when i fly fpv outside. even on the fast wings you eventually want more and more speed :P

also, its much easier to install fpv gear on wings.. lot of space and can carry a lot more

note: i generally prefer larger winglets :P
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
well i finally grabbed the foam. Now its time to sketch and have a little fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
ok, I changed the dimensions a little bit. Took it from a 30" wingspan to a 25", the root from 6" to 8" and the tips and sweep stay the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Last one for the night, I promise. Got everything sketched out ready to cut. But you know the saying, measure twice cut once so I will do just that when I get home from work tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
Did a little work today to the wing. Cut everything out taped the elevrons on. Gonna see if I can grab some CF rod to stiffen this thing up. If not I may have to build 2 more and glue them together to get the stiffness I need out of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,113 Posts
ok, been a long time since I have been home. But now that im home I can post some project pics. doubled up the wing and tripled up on the motor mount. should be able to glue everything and tape a leading edge tomorrow and start putting pieces together.
RCG Plus Member