HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Discussion
Replikit KeilKraft Senator

Since a mate insisted on paying me for some bits I dumped on him and I fancied a rest from cutting out ribs etc I aquired a Replikits version of the KeilKraft Senator to do.

I consider myself to be pretty much a novice at aeromodelling so my technique is pretty ropey but since i am prepared to redo bits again and again I usually get there in the end.

First off I got everything together, fattened the drawing under some books and then covered it with greaseproof paper.

I selected the wood for the longerons by the unscientific method of sticking the strip in a part opened door and selecting the strips that drooped least, trying to match them so the wood would be the same . I will get some postal scales when I see some.

I'm making it in a traditional manner, I split the parts of the longerons that needed to be bent, poked glue in the gap, closed them up and pinned them to shape on the board so they would keep their shape. All joints were double glued and the stringers (is that the right word?) cut in pairs..

The second side was built on top of the first, sanded and split. Not having a building jig I have to use squares to put in the 8 equal lenght stringers.

Once the centre section was dry and checked for squareness O closed the tail end and inserted the pairs of stringers, using small clamps to apply pressure. Previously I messed about with elastic bands.

Once complete I added the monopod undercarriage in 18 gauge wire. the plan said bind with thread but i chose to use copious amounts of the glue insted so covering near it would be neater. A gusset holds the leg in position at the bottom.

To clear out the holes for the various 1/8th " pegs I make one use mini round files from a cocktail stick dipped in glue with a scrap of sand paper wrapped round it so it tapers. They work rather well, and unlike my round metal files dont need to be scrubbed before use to avoid staining the wood. .

The whole lots had a good coat of sanding sealer and a final light rub down with fine paper. I carved and sanded the noseblock to shape in situ at this point and that has had several coats of thinnned dope to harden it some.

Any filling (mainly around the flat where the fin will go) was done with glue mixed with a equal volume of micro bubbles and a bit of water.

The wheel is a 1.5" Guiilows job with aluminium tube insert.

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Lovely! I'm electrocuting my Senator and fitting steery round stuff but the free flight version still has me drooling.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,274 Posts
Nice Tom. I must say your definition of a novice differs from mine, looking at your build pictures if you class yourself as a novice I can't wait to see what you will produce when you are experienced! It takes most people many years to get up to that sort of standard - and some never do!

I have added a link to this to post #1 in the Britkit Build Off thread and will be watching with interest. Hope you can find a big enough field to do it justice when finished.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice work Froglube.
I got a set of salter scales from one of the UK catalogue shops (Argos I think - other shops do sell kitchen scales Weigh to unit grammes and not too expensive.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Cheers!, I think this will be about my 20th stick and tissue plane (the first half dozen where painfully bad but still flew much to my joy). I have done other sorts of modelling, lots of airfix up to being 15 then a bunch of rolepalying figure in my late teens, then when i was laid up for six months after really making a mess of a leg falling off the side of a moor (don't ask) I made some 1:75 RFC planes so I had developed some transferable skills but I think I've only been actively aeromodelling for a total of under two years and most of that was three years back.

I think I have over done it trying to lighten the tail.

as the 1/16 square strip looks rather thin after i had finished sanding,

The nose has come out OK, more symetrical than most I have done. i'll drill the hole for the bearing tube tomorrow. I really dont think I am up to making a balsa prop yet so am doing his one as I think it would have been kitted in the 60s or 70s with a big ole plastic KK 12 inch prop. I can always come back and fit a balsa one when i am more confident. I've got a few smaller balsa blanks i got from Shortys Basement including a matched pair for a twin pusher I would like to do one day.

My eldest son has started making a Guillows Spitfire Mk I without any prompting from me! The other two are quite crafty but Jnr has previously shown no signs of wanting to do flying models! I don't do scale so he was welcome to a unwanted present that the kit was.

Cheers for the tip on scales but its something smaller that i can take to shops that I was after, Theres a head shop in the valley and that may have something pocket sized.

ATB

Tom
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,538 Posts
Those 12" KK props were heavy inefficient clunkers - they fly a Senator but far from its best .. but they did compensate for the short nose.

Alan Cohen (hobbyspecialities.com) can supply a prop to order at avery reasonable price; has graded balsa strip too
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Uw, Applehoney, I wish you hadn't told me about that shop, i could get myself hung quite easily if I had a spree there!. Yes definately reasonably priced compared to the UK especially. When I next get some silly money perhaps... I've not long since blown 50 quid I got as a present for my birthday on balsa, piano wire and glue and now wish i'd waited to blow it there. i was buying ungraded 1/8" sq balsa strip at 35p each! I feel positively reamed!

See what i mean about beinga novice!?

Grounds wet with the promise of showers and is gusting so no flying, kids are clearing up their rooms so keeping quiet hoping i wont go down and inspect so i will get on with the plane now!

ATB

Tom
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:23 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
311 Posts
If you want your Senator to fly well (and they do) you will need a decent size propeller - around 13". It isn't difficult to carve one, although you need the proper tools: a 'Prop Carving Knife' (actually a dissection scalpel!) from Flitehook, also a large razor saw for cutting the blank.
The little plastic prop supplied by Replikit is no good.
You should also get a strip cutter for making all that 1/8" square: these are invaluable.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froglube View Post
Cheers for the tip on scales but its something smaller that i can take to shops that I was after, Theres a head shop in the valley and that may have something pocket sized.
I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00

Repeatability isn't great and I certainly wouldn't trust it to buy precious metals or stones, but it's ok for rough / comparative measurements. And cheap.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
Cheers, I've got a 12 inch plaki job from free flight supplies which will have to do until I learn to carve and find a bigger flying field. It would seam that there's a grim enevitability about having to carve my own props. I'm sure when I get the hang of it I'll go back and carve props and build new nose blocks for all the stuff I've done so far and their performance and looks will improve no end.

Can folk recommend any especial tools or blades for carving props? There's plenty of how to's out there but few refer to pacific brands.

ATB

Tom

Yup that's the sort of scale I was thinking about, ta!
Last edited by Froglube; Jul 30, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:16 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,538 Posts
Spencer Willis builds Senators to order and very likely he'd sell you a carved propellor. Alan Cohen would ship one to you ..whether there'd be much difference in costs would have to be determined.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
933 Posts
Nice bit of work, Froglube. Watching this build with interest.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00

Repeatability isn't great and I certainly wouldn't trust it to buy precious metals or stones, but it's ok for rough / comparative measurements. And cheap.
Or this one. Reasonable accuracy and, whilst it won't fit in your pocket, its only 7"x7". or 180mm sq

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/8422996.htm

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Or this one.
That's far more likely to be consistent, but I wanted one that did 0.1g increments.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,274 Posts
[QUOTE=Colonel Blink;22307229].......but I wanted one that did 0.1g increments.

Thinking of taking up microfilm Colonel??
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member