HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Thank you all for the comments.

I finally had a little time and was able to finish sanding and add the pylons. Basically I used 3/4" aspen cut from templates. I then attached those to the wings with 1"x2" plywood tabs embedded in as false ribs. The false ribs are epoxied in and the pylons are screwed to the tabs. I just had to put on the fans for good measure. The only issue is that the fan housing has one hole in the tab and even though clearances are tight, there is still too much play. I assume I will have to place additional plastic tabs flanking the pylons but I will deal with that later. Thoughts on that aspect? Next will be fitting in the retracts.
rlebaron is offline Find More Posts by rlebaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:01 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Nice
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
So far one of the best looking B747 models i have seen.....
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,481 Posts
Sam I totally Agree Sir! Rlebaron You've done an AMAZING Job capturing the 747-8I
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
good to see you are still around Sam. hope your dad is ok. I see on Facebook that he appears to be coming somewhat back to normal.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Build Update

So it has been a bit but work finally calmed down and I got to sleep and work on the plane too. I guess reef rules take precedent here- nothing good happens fast and anything that happens fast is not good.
- Gears: I finally managed to get the servo bases cut and glued in. As I am close to doing the finish work, I wanted to make sure everything would fit and also have the gear bays cut correctly. Man- that took soooo long but I finally got them to retract correctly- then took them back off for finishing.
-Spoilers: First off- I know they're not scale but I preferred the cleaner look of the inboard spoiler being as long as the flap. Anyhow, basically they were made from cardboard covered in epoxy. Pretty strong and easy to make. The hinges are basic plastic hinges with a center nail. The springs were bought at Ace and hooked to a flange under the wing. My plan is to have them on their own channel vs on the elevator channel and set in reverse position so they deploy on full down elevator. This would be a lot easier but not sure if that is too much for a vital channel.
-Nose gear- As the picture shows. Unfortunately I did not get it to retract up into the bay as much as I would have liked and it does tend to stick out of the opening a hair but likely going to leave it as is.
-Finish work- Right now the wing is separated and a bunch of light weight Spackle has been placed to smooth out some random dents and dings. After some sanding tomorrow I will cover the plane in Minwax Polycrylic with microballoons, sand and then recover with minwax.
-Livery- Open to suggestions- I am leaning towards Boeing sunrise orange. Lufthansa is nice and simple but I feel like there are a lot of those out there.
-Canoe fairings- yeah they're there. Look nicer covering the hinges.
-The show- Electronics- So I have held off buying the bulk until this point as I wanted to make sure the build went well and I stuck with it. I have the 4 70mm 12 blade changesun fans. I plan for 2800kv edf motors and was going to do 4 4s 2800 30c batteries with 60amp ESC as well as a dedicated UBEC and receiver battery. Is the power combo satisfactory. I keep comparing to the Windrider 737's and many seem to have larger packs but when it comes down to it, this plane will not be a whole lot bigger or heavier (estimated weight ~8lbs) so running 4 fans with that, I should in theory not have to push them as hard and 2800's should do the job.

Thoughts from the pros?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebaron View Post
So it has been a bit but work finally calmed down and I got to sleep and work on the plane too. I guess reef rules take precedent here- nothing good happens fast and anything that happens fast is not good.
- Gears: I finally managed to get the servo bases cut and glued in. As I am close to doing the finish work, I wanted to make sure everything would fit and also have the gear bays cut correctly. Man- that took soooo long but I finally got them to retract correctly- then took them back off for finishing.
-Spoilers: First off- I know they're not scale but I preferred the cleaner look of the inboard spoiler being as long as the flap. Anyhow, basically they were made from cardboard covered in epoxy. Pretty strong and easy to make. The hinges are basic plastic hinges with a center nail. The springs were bought at Ace and hooked to a flange under the wing. My plan is to have them on their own channel vs on the elevator channel and set in reverse position so they deploy on full down elevator. This would be a lot easier but not sure if that is too much for a vital channel.
-Nose gear- As the picture shows. Unfortunately I did not get it to retract up into the bay as much as I would have liked and it does tend to stick out of the opening a hair but likely going to leave it as is.
-Finish work- Right now the wing is separated and a bunch of light weight Spackle has been placed to smooth out some random dents and dings. After some sanding tomorrow I will cover the plane in Minwax Polycrylic with microballoons, sand and then recover with minwax.
-Livery- Open to suggestions- I am leaning towards Boeing sunrise orange. Lufthansa is nice and simple but I feel like there are a lot of those out there.
-Canoe fairings- yeah they're there. Look nicer covering the hinges.
-The show- Electronics- So I have held off buying the bulk until this point as I wanted to make sure the build went well and I stuck with it. I have the 4 70mm 12 blade changesun fans. I plan for 2800kv edf motors and was going to do 4 4s 2800 30c batteries with 60amp ESC as well as a dedicated UBEC and receiver battery. Is the power combo satisfactory. I keep comparing to the Windrider 737's and many seem to have larger packs but when it comes down to it, this plane will not be a whole lot bigger or heavier (estimated weight ~8lbs) so running 4 fans with that, I should in theory not have to push them as hard and 2800's should do the job.

Thoughts from the pros?
Great to see you back at it Baron! I got a bit worried you'd vanished On Us

She's looking great!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
RC 747-8 spoilers (0 min 27 sec)

RC 747-8 retract gear test (0 min 22 sec)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Great to see you back at it Baron! I got a bit worried you'd vanished On Us

She's looking great!
Thanks- I'm always checking in here and seeing the amazing work being done.
Old May 01, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Quick Poll

So I was up until 2 last night sanding and covering the beast in Polycrylic and micro balloons. It will be painted over the next 2-3 days. The big question. Lufthansa or Sunrise Livery? The Lufthansa is definitely easier and the sunrise is showier. I am undecided My wife says sunrise.
Old May 01, 2013, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
I am having issues uploading images for some reason.
Old May 01, 2013, 11:11 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlebaron View Post
So I was up until 2 last night sanding and covering the beast in Polycrylic and micro balloons. It will be painted over the next 2-3 days. The big question. Lufthansa or Sunrise Livery? The Lufthansa is definitely easier and the sunrise is showier. I am undecided My wife says sunrise.
your wife is very wise in the ways of livery!
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old May 01, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
your wife is very wise in the ways of livery!
Lol. You've got that right.
By the way- if il can have a maiden half as impressive as your KLM I will be a happy man. That must have been the favorite of the show.
Old May 01, 2013, 04:27 PM
I make stuff
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
+1 for Sunrise. "Showy" is always better.
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Great Planes Proud Bird EF-1
Old May 01, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
In the outside paintbooth

In progress. I still need to pick up gray foam safe paint