Closed Thread
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:25 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,325 Posts
Rave
A great day at Grass Mountain!

Cruzsin (Alan) got in touch with me a week ago about coming up my way for some Convict hill time and included an invite to Grass Mountain...a site I've never flown before but was near the top of my personal list so today I tossed the Blade XL into the truck and hit the road. An hour and twenty I was on top shaking hands with Alan and Bill who were relaxing in the shade of a monsterous pine tree. I watched both of them get in flights and got pointers on the LZ and it was my turn. Bill did a picture perfect launch of the XL and after trimming down a bit for the lift spent twenty minutes in sloper heaven. Talk about huge air and today was actually deemed just an ok day for lift but it seemed to go forever out and up. A landing that JUST missed the top of a manzanita and it was back on tierra firma in one piece quite easily. The next flight was equally great and I nailed the landing this time with no close calls. Pretty easy to do considering the generous and friendly LZ at this site.

All in all a totally worthwhile drive and I finally have a nice big-air site to go along with my local spot, Convict Hill. A big thanks to Alan and Bill for the tips on the site and the invite!

mw (slope Hog Heaven resident)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:24 AM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
It looks like a good time was had by all. Another slope that I hope some day to launch from.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2006
348 Posts
It was a pleasure flying with you today Mark.

Glad you enjoyed the medium lift day

Alan
Cruzsin is offline Find More Posts by Cruzsin
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
When the wind's up the lift band at Grass really lets the plane run and eat a lot of sky.

When I flew my Opus there last month it was blowing in the mid to upper 30's and smooth.

Only problem is days like that kinda spoil ya.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,325 Posts
Yesterday sure put fixing the ballast tube on the front burner!

mw
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
Where's the grass??? :-)

Grass Mtn. is a little bit of sloper heaven. We hit it last winter when it was blowing over 45 mph (measured) and getting planes to come down was almost impossible. I haven't been in a long while, but it's one of my favorite places anywhere.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
Grass Mountain is such a great "destination" slope. Don't loose it on the backside though!!

droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,821 Posts
Hey Mark, I tried getting the Tehachapi gang out to GM for some f3f action a few weeks back, thought you'd enjoy it. Glad you made it out, it is my personal favorite...This weekend is 2 day unlimited mom race, even more fun! I agree on not losing it on the backside, the bushes are way taller and gnarlier than they look, I heard that there is many, many planes back there. My Sting is down the front side way down there after the tail blew off mid-dive....Too gnarly to go after the remains...

WD
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,325 Posts
Hey, Warren! The place is definitely at the top of my big air sites to visit now. I mean, it's relatively close and a great place to fly! Thanks for keeping an eye on my bud Tim too, btw.

The XL is on the bench as we speak. The bottomless ballast tube now has a bottom and I have some 5/8ths" steel stock to cut up into slugs.

I was thinking about the landings I did and noticing about 2-3mm of downtrim on the elevator. I think this airframe might have the same issue as my Mini did...that being the v-tail incidence being off. I corrected the Mini Blade by resetting the tailpin tubes with a little negative incidence i.e. raising the front of the vertical. It worked a treat on the Mini so I'm gonna try the same on the XL. Thoughts?

mw
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Dec 2006
348 Posts
Since you asked
I think,try a day at convict and see if that downtrim changes.If I'm going to make a permanent change in the incidence,I'd like to make sure it's not just the conditions on any particular day causing me to add up or down trim.

Alan
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:20 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
I started sloping a little over 2 years ago at Bluff Park in Long Beach. Grass Mountain was the first "other" place I heard about at the beach. I haven't made it up there yet, but "one of these days"...
I'm looking forward to it
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:44 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,325 Posts
Ballast tubes repaired, slugs and spacers cut and fitted. Gain = one pound.
Better'n nothing.

mw
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2006
34 Posts
Hey Mark Thanks for the kind words. Great flying with you! Looking forward to Sat. flying Convict Hill WOOOHOOOOO a new hill too fly!!! Bill
slopejunky1 is offline Find More Posts by slopejunky1
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,821 Posts
Guys, I am hosting a weekend race august 18-19 at Grass. I want to see if you guys can come out for a no pressure day of F3f on saturday, and I am going to host a prerace strategy beforehand, to offer some insight on having fun, while doing the F3F thing. (It is supposed to be fun). I know most of you guys have race type planes, and I was hoping you guys may want to give the F thing a go. Late in the afternoon myself and Bill D will run the mom course, and we will discuss proper mom protocol, (where to be on a start, where not to be in corners, etc.) and it should be brief, entertaining, and I hope educational.
This is a no-pressure weekend, I want to have fun, get some guys out for a fun day on the slope doing something hopefully they enjoy.
I'd appreciate it if you let me know.
WD
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2006
348 Posts
Warren,

Please check your PM's

Alan
Closed Thread