1,163 Posts
one of the most beautiful shapes ever seen
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:58 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
our towplane is down for engine overhaul. We missed a couple of local wave days. Oh well.... I purchased a plot of land out at our field, and I bought one of these Ensign hangars. I go pick it up this saturday then I have to put it up out at the field
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:23 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,472 Posts
That hangar will help the convenience factor by a margin. Nice

For the last 3 weeks our field has been too wet to use so we were desperate this weekend and flew anyway despite only having a 1400' cloud-base. We amused ourselves by doing a take-off climb to 600' then descent and a touch and go whilst still on tow then re-climb to cloud-base and release. All good fun.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:08 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
wow thats talented. Is that winch tow or aero?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:48 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,472 Posts
Aerotow
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:19 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
I've never winched
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:18 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
I fell over an old image of my chariot which I thought you might like to see?
Is this really yours...

I have it on my Phone desktop a couple of months now.

Great picture.
FRIDAY_2008 is offline Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:12 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,472 Posts
Friday_2008
Yes it is.
A couple more images here
http://www.photoavia.org.uk/Gliding.htm

Gordon
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
finally got the hangar up. I am going to pour concrete for the flooring this weekend and then I can move in
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,472 Posts
I had a nice day today. Started the conversion onto the clubs DG-1000T. Had 3 winch launches....all the usual stuff...stalls, spins and spot landings etc
Nice to fly something big winged.

Gordon
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:59 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
nice club ship. We just bought a Gehring winch for our club. Now we dont have to get bottlenecked waiting for the towplane to come back around
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,537 Posts
Seems that rcg members have an affinity to DG products, our club just got a 500M. Sure, it is big, heavy and maintenance-intensive, but it still glides pretty well and being a self-launcher there will be no more missed weather due to launch crew misorganisation.

jzanutto, you will love winch launching, especially those couple of first flights when you still don't know what to expect . Will you be using steel or synthetic rope? If synthetic (Spectra, uhmwpe), you will need to be aware of couple of little details in the rope path to preserve the expensive rope. Also instructors at both ends of the rope need to know what they are doing. If you already haven't done so, I'd recommend you join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/winchdesign/, lots of invaluable data there. If you have a technical mindset, I'd especially recommend you browse the files section and read everything written by George Moore.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:36 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
our winch has spectra on it. The previous owner said his main concern was with the person retrieving the rope that they not just take off on a motorcycle and snap the rope. He suggested a weak link in between the recovery vehicle and the rope

I think you get a lot of airplane for the money with the DG series. In fact I got my first good look at a DG-300 on sunday and I see that the wing has boundary layer control, using a series of tiny holes to blow out air. pretty ingenious system!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,472 Posts
Having refinished a couple of DGs and LSs with Boundary Layer Control I can tell you it is a royal PITA unblocking them all.......goes on forever!

For towing back winch cable, a loop of cord attached to the top of the swivel at the base of the parachute is the way to go. Tow-back driver should accelerate and decelerate smooooooothly to prevent overrun on the main winch drum.
Having been involved with winch launching for the past 30 years, there is no way I would ever consider towing back on a motorbike even with a (very) weak link fitted. Someone will get hurt.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,163 Posts
ok good advice. we are going to be attending some winch clinics, and we plan on having some guys from another club come up and train us. We plan on taking the necessary time to learn to do it right and safely