SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto View Post
one of the things that sold me on the DG is that its a 1 man rigger.

aside from real estate, airplanes are one of the few pieces of personal property that hold or increase in value
Ease of rigging is a definite consideration when purchasing a sailplane along with how well the trailer is set up for the task. I had to buy a wing dolly and tow bar to make my set up a truly one man system, waiting for someone to help you rig/de-rig and get towed out to the flight line can be a real pain.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
I owned a PIK-20B for a good while. I love 90-degree flaps. I have 128 hours in a Schweizer 1-35 that I flew (rented club ship) at Texas Soaring Association, prior to owning my PIK. I put about 70 hours on the PIK in about 4.5 years I owned it. A friend sent me pictures of it's remains when someone totalled it... The happiest day for me was the day I bought it. The second saddest was the day I sold her... but by far the saddest day was the day I saw the pictures of her wreckage.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
darn that sucks
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:55 AM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
A website for you FS glider pilots to enjoy. Realistic reviews of several popular types!
http://www.sifow.com/
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
I got an hour in the DG today. conditions were crappy, I was hitting some 800fpm thermals then they would fall apart. I took a 2k tow and looked all over for some lift and next thing I know I'm down to pattern altitude and dropped my gear.

I was at 400 feet AGL and turning to downwind and I hit a big 800-1k fpm thermal and cranked it over, I rode it out from 400 feet up to 4K!

Then I spent the next hour finding little crappy 400fpm thermals that topped out at 3k. I lost everything and had to come scraping home very low. Made it over the fence though, and rolled right up to my trailer.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
Remember that a bad days soaring is 1,000 times better than a good day at work!
Just enjoy.

Gordon
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW View Post
Remember that a bad days soaring is 1,000 times better than a good day at work!
Tell me about it! Just yesterday I was at work, occasionally glimpsing through a window at soaring weather unusually good for the season being wasted. The club's cfi texts to inform that there will be training beginning at 4pm, tows available. Leave the work a little early and drive 40 miles to the field, the weather is starting to decay, but should still be ok for an hour or two. Arrive at the field, take the DG-300 out, check it and get it to the launch point, clock is now 3:50pm. Winch driver is late, only I, the cfi and the kid under training are there. Weather is really starting to die now. Winch driver arrives an hour later and operations begin. Air is totally still, I get a 11-minute downhill ride. Life is good!
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
^^^
The truth is that you know you are addicted to soaring when you will take a high tow on a marginal day or early evening to just fly, I've done it a bunch of times.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
I'd do it more if I didnt have to put mine together each time! Mine is a 1-man rigger but it still takes a little time.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
^^^
The truth is that you know you are addicted to soaring when you will take a high tow on a marginal day or early evening to just fly, I've done it a bunch of times.
That's just sick... Oh wait... I've done that, too...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:04 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
hopefully RC groups doesnt mind us sharing our FS stories.

wonder how many RC sailplane guys are also glass ship owners
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Not at all jzanutto. Bring em on!
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:57 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
I'd do it more if I didnt have to put mine together each time! Mine is a 1-man rigger but it still takes a little time.
Yes, that is definately a factor. When I owned my 1-26 and HP-11 the tie down area was just off the grass runway and I could almost always land and roll to a stop right next to my tie down spot. All I had to do was rotate the plane 90 degrees, back it into it's spot, tie it down and head home after everyone else had gone home. That happened many a time. I should also mention that the airport then was a short 25-30 minutes from home, not the 3+ hour drive I now have to deal with.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
That's just sick... Oh wait... I've done that, too...
I think the worst time for me was after 9/11 when much of general aviation was grounded for several months if I remember correctly. It wasn't until the early winter months when we could start flying again and as soon as we could I didn't care one bit if there was any lift on the weekends, I just wanted to get flying again. On a much happier note there were times when I would take a friend in the two seater (Krozno) and we would take a high tow out over the coast line and just do a long glide home to let them experience the joy of flying in a sailplane.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:39 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
854 Posts
Quote:
hopefully RC groups doesnt mind us sharing our FS stories.

wonder how many RC sailplane guys are also glass ship owners
In my case there were five of us from S FL that went into FS from rc soaring (mid- later 90's), it was a natural progression I suppose and for the first time ever we had a real glider operation close by in this part of the state. Unfortunatly I am the only one still flying FS of that group, the others slowly dropped out for various reasons, some also dropping out of rc soaring. Kind of sad really.