HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
Built in BEC VS. External BEC?

So I'm wondering if there are any advantages with using an external BEC vs. one built into the ESC.

Also Built in and External BEC's interchangeable?

I ask because i just purchased a new EDF jet and my receiver doesn't have a set of BATT pins for an external BEC.
sykmethodz is offline Find More Posts by sykmethodz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,640 Posts
External BEC is better. If your ESC burns down, it will most likely take the internal BEC with it (and you know what that means). With an external BEC you remove any dependency on the ESC. In addition, most internal BECs are only rated for 3A. If you are using 4S and above, or if your servos are drawing more than 3A (or whatever the internal BEC is rated for) you would need an external BEC anyway. For the $10 to $25 that they cost, it is well worth the insurance "policy".

Yes, they are interchangeable in a sense that you could one day use the internal ESC's BEC and another connect the external BEC (tough I am not sure why you would want to do that). If you are using an external BEC and an ESC with an internal BEC keep in mind you need to disconnect the middle wire on the ESC plug which connect to the Rx (or else you will fry the Rx). If you haven't bought your ESC yet, and you know you will be using an external BEC, you may opt to get an ESC without a built in BEC altogether (sometimes designated as -opto),

The external BEC can connect to any unused port on your Rx.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:37 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,719 Posts
If you're not using all the channels of your receiver, you do have a set of BATT pins for an external BEC, since the + and - pins are shared across all the servo channels.

Some ESCs will have a switch mode BEC, which aren't affected as much by battery voltage as the standard linear type. It's the switch mode type you want when you look for an external BEC, too; as some are linear. With a linear BEC, the higher the battery voltage, the less current it can supply, and at 3S or higher voltages, the rated current has to be reduced. Also, it's rare to be able to connect more than one BEC without problems.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,831 Posts
You don't need an extra channel to use an external BEC

And yes, an external BEC saved one of my beloved plane many years ago when I was a newbie and didn't have an ampmeter. The ESC got so hot it fried itself and completely burned up, but the external BEC kept ticking and i was able to land safely.

External UBEC "How To" (5 min 27 sec)
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
You guys totally rock! thanks a million for all the great info and advice! my new jet is up and running!!! Here is my build thread if anybody is interested.

Build Thead F-16 - EDF - FPV

Thanks Again!!!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Just curious, could you use the bind/data pins for the external BEC?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykmethodz View Post
Just curious, could you use the bind/data pins for the external BEC?
That's basically what they are there for - mine are labeled bind/batt.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
981 Posts
For an expensive plane that runs 4 (or more) regular size servos, always go with an external BEC. This will guarantee your RX power.

And don't put crappy batteries on the external BEC! Use a voltage meter, and check to see that your batteries have good cells.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Awesome! Thanks guys super helpful. Saved me a hundred bucks!