SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,757 Posts
Excellent! Always liked the lines of the Radian....looked like it was doing 100mph when stationary!!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
Good stuff Guizzo, I have posted a link to this build thread in post #1 of the build off thread and will be following with interest!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
An excellent start Guizzo! subscribed.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:41 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
581 Posts
Great start. I remember building one in my teens powered by a Cox Babe Bee (the only engine I had back then) and flying it in Walker Park in Prenton with Michael Wilkenson. Mike and I were the ones responsible for the ban on model flying in the park which exists even to this day.

Looking forward to the flight testing.

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Winstanley View Post
I remember building one in my teens powered by a Cox Babe Bee (the only engine I had back then) and flying it in Walker Park in Prenton with Michael Wilkenson. Mike and I were the ones responsible for the ban on model flying in the park which exists even to this day.

Mark.
I'm glad my model recalls you the old good days and I really appreciate that you are shearing your memories with us. They recall me my first modeling steps when I started building my first profile C/L planes.... Oh, It was quite a long time ago indeed!!
thanks again for shearing Mark!
Well, back to the Radian now! The wing is complete and just needs to be primed and covered.
I added four 1mm balsa shear webs to the spar. I made it to increase torsional rigidity. I'm always amazed to see how such small pieces of balsa add in terms of rigidity!
I plan to cover wing and ailerons first and than hinge them with thread; of course I’ll do that after inserting the wing into the fuselage!
I'm satisfied on how the fuselage is coming out; it is sturdy despite I built it with 1mm balsa.
The Radian is a tiny model; it's going to be my smallest R/C and I hope to be able to balanced it without ballast. My predictions are encouraging and the hope is they are even accurate!
It's time now to work on the plug for the cockpit-turtledeck which will be removable and I hope to be able to vac u-form it in one single piece.
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
That is looking great Guizzo. Do you have a target weight for it yet, and what are you planning to cover it with?

I never built a Radian back in the old days, my favourite two small control-line models were the Frog Chimp and the Cheshire Kitten, a plan which was published in a British modelling magazine, they were about the same size as the Radian. In those days it would have been unbelievable to think that we would ever be able to build such small models with electric power and radio control
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:53 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Cheshire Kitten, a plan which was published in a British modelling magazine,
Aeromodeller - June 1958.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Thanks George, but what an impertinent question to address to a model!!
Well, I generally aim for a wing load of 25 gram/dm2 which is easily to achieve considering the average dimension of my models. The Radian has more or less 6 dm2 wing area and considering I won't use micro equipments, this target is absolutely inaccessible.
At the moment the weight of the single components are as reported in the following tabula and I guess the final wing load will be around 40~43 gram/dm2. Definitely not a feather weight for such a small model but I'm curious to see how she will handle and if ill be able to keep her under control.
In the event the model is getting too fat, I’ll keep the option to eliminate the rudder servo and linkage.
Since I have tons off Litespan, I guess it'll be my choice for covering the wing while I’ll use Esaky for the remnant.

radio -------------------10
speed/c. --------------16
motor,prop, spinner 38
battery ----------------48
3 servo s--------------27
ldg/gear,wheels -----16
wing -------------------22
ailerons ----------------4
fuselage ---------------7
TOTAL -------------195
Wing/load 33g/dm2
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:36 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
Had to convert the loadings into UK units to get a real idea, 40 gms/sq. dec. = roughly 13.5 ounces/square foot. Whilst that is a fairly high loading for a small model, I would expect it to be OK - just a little "hot" maybe?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Something more done!
The landing gear is complete and the pictures show how I hold the wheels to the axle with a copper pin.
I have never lost a wheel but it takes almost no time to take them out!
I have spent a bit of time with my computer to prepare the color scheme and print the covering. I also made decals for the Radian, my Canny Canard and Flipper and prepared the canopy plug.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
Great colour scheme Guizzo, and I like the neat wheel attachment. What is the covering material? What type of printer did you use?

Is your Flipper the little Vic Smeed biplane design? Sorry about all the questions!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Thanks George!
I'm using light white modelspan for covering. I lay the tissue on balsa (which is previously coated with two hands of balsarite) and I stick it by brushing a coat of 30/70 dope/thinner. I could have used Esaky but it must be applied wet and this requires a slightly different and longer process. If you are interested, Paul Bradley made a good tutorial you may see here.
The printer is a ink-jet type. Whatever you use should be better than my Lexmark Z517 which made a good job but it's a printer I hate since the ink cartridge costs an arm and an eye and lasts nothing! Corel Draw is my software of choice for graphics.
Yes George, the Flipper is the 18” span Smeed design! I built her 12 years ago and still needs to be christened!
The Flipper is a RET model with brushless motor but initially she flew as a throttle-only R/C model with a small brushed motor. You may see my thread here