SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
Estonia, Harju County, Tallinn
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Question
DIY brushless boat trolling motor for REAL Fishing Boat?

Hello!

I know that this thread is bit off-topic.

I think that anybody who is into fishing knows minn-kota electric trolling motors (http://www.minnkotamotors.com) . But I want to make something like minn-kota, myself for 4m pontoon boat. I will use it on fresh water lakes only. But here comes the hardest part of it. I will need and brushless out/inrunner that will swing an 8-10 inch prop underwater on 12V and wont over heat. The motor will be sealed in pvc pipe. And the question would be: where i could get that motor?

(I have searched hobbyking but their choice of motors is limitless, so i couldnt figure out what motor to buy)
Georgseema is offline Find More Posts by Georgseema
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
The Minkotas depending on the thrust draw about 40-60 amps with an(estimated) 2000 RPM which givs a figure of 166 Kv, can you get a figure?

You have to look at the gas equivalent motors to obtain that sort of power at a low enough RPM, the other option is usa a smaller faster motor with gearing to get the RPM down to the same level, I understand that this is the way the Torqueedo motors are built.

Torqedo brushless

Interesting 8:1 gearing.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:29 AM
Estonia, Harju County, Tallinn
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Ok, now i can start looking for motor. I believe outrunners have more torque than inrunners, but how about the cooling. The motor will have maybe 1-3 cm air around it.
Georgseema is offline Find More Posts by Georgseema
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:32 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
If the motor is mounted on an aluminium plate that has contact with the water that should be sufficient.

Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Closed Thread