Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Question
Simonk Flashed RCTimer 30A ESCs

Is anyone using the Simonk firmware flashed RCTimer 30A ESCs? I'm just wondering if these would be worth checking out?

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Is anyone using the Simonk firmware flashed RCTimer 30A ESCs? I'm just wondering if these would be worth checking out?

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=
they are very fast but the stock are enougth smooth , but if George can tell us if we can use them , sure i will buy 8 for my octo
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfou View Post
they are very fast but the stock are enougth smooth , but if George can tell us if we can use them , sure i will buy 8 for my octo
Yes, I hope to take advantage of the SimonK ESC speed for better control. I'd also like to find out if there are any issues with using them with HFly boards.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
I use rctimer 50a escs stock and they work well. They have fixed throttle settings like castle. I'm not sure if the 30a version is the same.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
I use rctimer 50a escs stock and they work well. They have fixed throttle settings like castle. I'm not sure if the 30a version is the same.
I'm using stock Turnigy Plush 30A escs and they work just fine; however, I'm wondering if the SimonK flashed escs are a step up in terms of control? I've not heard too much in regards to these when using the HoverFly boards.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
I believe there was another thread about SimonK firmware. I think Al tested them and determined there was no flight performance reason to use it. Others report quieter motor operation but unless there is a flight difference, I don't care to go that route. Doesn't matter to me if it's quieter.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:55 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Yeah i read Al's thread and results as well and he made a good point with respect to perception and reality. Just because the high pitched whine is gone doesnt mean that the performance has improved however there are users out there who swear the performance is better. Hopefully there will be more testing at some point.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Thanks guys, good to know. I was about to spend another $100+ on flashable ESCs, so now I can hold onto the cash.

I've also heard that the SimonK firmware ESCs run hotter as well, and who needs that in this weather? lol

Ross
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Al's analysis of reflashed vs standard ESCs:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...gin+esc&page=1

Very nice bit of work, Al!! I should have spent a little bit of time with the search engine in this forum before posting my original question. I think that I will stick with my stock Plush 30A ESCs, based on his findings.

Ross
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Sep 2004
135 Posts
People are totally adamant that reflashed firmware flies better. But I suspect flight controller plays a part in that. I flashed a couple speed controllers but have not had a chance to test em. I think I'm going to stick with my basic Atmel Turnigy Plush 30s for my Avroto 2814 Y6.

-Mike
webgeek is offline Find More Posts by webgeek
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Ok. So conclusion is. Yes simonk is wort it or not.
Naninanibooboo is offline Find More Posts by Naninanibooboo
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:52 AM
Sokratis
Ελλάς, Κρήτη, Ηράκλειο
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
i have 6 Simonk firmware flashed RCTimer 30A so far i have made almost 10 flights and i am very happy with my HEXA
canopus1970 is offline Find More Posts by canopus1970
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:45 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
I've gotten my hands on some F30-A ESCs and flashed those just to try it, and I have to say that the high pitched whine is gone and all I now hear is the prop noise. Much better. And it seems as though my hexa reacts quicker as well.

I just ordered this tool from HK to make the flashing easier in the future:

Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_Tool.html
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
I've gotten my hands on some F30-A ESCs and flashed those just to try it, and I have to say that the high pitched whine is gone and all I now hear is the prop noise. Much better. And it seems as though my hexa reacts quicker as well.

I just ordered this tool from HK to make the flashing easier in the future:

Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_Tool.html
yes i just ordered this tool because TC send me the link today so i will flash my rctimer soon i receive it
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Jan 03, 2014, 11:52 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2010
237 Posts
These ESCs are seriously absolutely junk
onlinegamesnz is offline Find More Posts by onlinegamesnz