SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:35 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
They do break after a few big crashes up near where the tail mount goes into the frame, it may have been shortened to disguise that...

What's happening with steering... It only turns right you say..?
A couple of quick guesses...

Check the servo is centred, with the trim also centred... Before you fit the steering horn... Then after you establish that it works correctly, and is centred, fit it up, and trim it out until the front wheel sits straight...

Check the steering pivots freely on both axis's with out the servo fitted... If there's any binding it cause mayhem...

And also remember when looking down at the top of the bike when you steer left, the front wheel should go to the right...

Just a couple of things you may have already done anyway... Generally they are very good in the steering department... Slow... But good...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Last edited by Lukey B; Oct 31, 2012 at 06:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, OH, West Unity
Joined Oct 2007
97 Posts
Thanks Luke,
Everything looks centered, and it seems to have the same amount of travel in each direction, but it still wants to turn right if I'm not on the steering, and go straight if I'm turning left.
I did find out that the axle hole on one side of my swingarm was oval-ed out, letting the rear wheel sit crooked, I'm pretty sure that was what was doing it.
poomwah is offline Find More Posts by poomwah
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:46 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Yeah I recon that'd do it... The old rear wheel steering trick eh... But not really controlled...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:01 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Hey guys... here's a few pics of a Mk1 Yamaha I built for a friend...

Basically I was lookin for a Yamaha for ages, with no luck... I was around this fella's house, getting some parts for the SB5 I think... started whining about how hard they are to find... and then BAM... he pulls out a box, with not one Kyosho Mk1 Yamaha YZR500... but TWO... and then calmly offered them to me...

I was beside myself... So to give you the shortened story... This fella has alot of his competion cars, and his SB5 painted in the traditional "Calsonic" blue...

So as token of my thanks... I thought I would refresh one of the bikes and return it to him... and as I'm a bike racing nut, I had to do a period replica... this is where the "Sonauto, Gauloises Yamaha" of Christian Sarron comes into play...(Blue colour, and a replica)

The bike still needs some finishing, need to repair the right muffler, add pin stripe around the number boards, paint a dark tint over the exaust pipes to give em that titanium look, put some michelin logos on the tyres and finish painting the front brake rotors... then give the the fairings a coat of clear to keep them protected...
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:27 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,343 Posts
absolutely fantastic!!!
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,348 Posts
The Gauloises is insanely nice. Looks like Christian Sarron just got off of it! Especially like the exhaust pipe.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Honda HOR completed

My Honda Hor is complete ! (Well nearly) .
Just got to make up some nicer cable ends (smaller and neater) for the brake cables and do a few little tweaks , and paint up the 3 sets of bodywork and riders I have in some different colours , but mostly finished
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
Just came across this thread, do you guys run these bikes?
steve bisco is online now Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:37 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Hi.
I run the honda HOR , but with unpainted body and rider on it .
It has a full metal gearbox and brushless set up in there , and despite many crashes (not bad end over enders though) I have not broken a frame yet.
I never run the MK I bikes though (other than to set up the elecronics)as spare bodywork is so rare now. But all my bikes are runable.
Dunc2504
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:40 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Newly Completed Mk I Honda NSR

Hi.
Just completed my Mk I Nsr ( apart from the Shoe lettering on the helmet which I am waiting for ).
This was built from a part built kit , but sadly ,the stickers were very old and non sticky
Most of the detailing is painted on . or new decals made from scans of the original set , then all were sealed on with several coats of clear.
All the white plastic has been painted to stop yellowing.
Next up is my conversion of my other Mk I nsr into Spencer colours.
Dunc2504
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Hi All

I am so impressed with the work you guys have done with the Kyosho Bikes. I had no idea there was still work being done with these bikes.

I have a Mk1 Suzuki with a few original mods, alu forks, bearings BB motor and rear shock that I want to revive and setup with lipo and brushless but the gearbox is a little tired. I have not been able to see any replacement gearboxes for the Mk1, only the HOR. Can the HOR Gearbox be hacked to fit the Mk1? Do I have any other options, new chassis perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Gareth
cutting42 is offline Find More Posts by cutting42
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
SF, CA
Joined Apr 2006
138 Posts
Hi Cutting42, Speed Model Produce made this gearbox.
Item No. - SM-063 Motorcycle Gear Box Heat Sink

Hope this help.
Kegresse
kegresse is offline Find More Posts by kegresse
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Hi Kegresse

Thanks for that, looks good but my google powers have deserted me and I cannot find any reference to the supplier. Great info though and I will keep looking or maybe just make one
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:06 AM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Hey Gareth... good to see a new member here, and with an old banger Kyosho too... it still boggles my mind how these bikes still seem to be quite popular...

And you have a Suzuki too... man I'd kill for another one of them, that was the first rc bike I had at age 14-15... and Kevin Schwantz my idol in those days, so to get an rc Pepsi Suzuki was heaven... then as a typical teenager I modified all I could... and systematically detroyed the bike of any worth...

Another fella has posted up his MK1 bike, and has used the steel gearbox parts, and bearings... so they do fit... but not the actual gearbox housing...

most other running parts should fit no dramas... steel rear sprocket would be suggested if you're goin brushless... and be prepared to bust some plastics too... these things hammer with a lipo and brushless set up...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Hi Lukey

Thanks for the welcome.

I was also a massive Schwantz fan back in the day and used to watch him race at Donington Park. I remember sitting on the outside of Coppice watching Kevin pulling a wheelie and drifting laying a darkie at the same time. I still get goosebumps thinking about it now.

When me and three mates saw the Kyosho bikes for the first time we just had to get them. One of my mates worked for HRC Honda, two were Yamaha riders and I obviously needed to get the Suzuki. Upgrades followed shortly afterwards and I customised the exhausts so two pipes came out on one side. We used to race on tennis courts and a kids cycling course in a local park

Over the years I repainted it in my bike leathers and race bike colours which in hindsight I probably should not have done but hey what can you do! I nearly threw it away a couple of times over the years but I am very glad I did not. I am now back into RC due to my 11 year old son racing 1/10th off road and I got a car as well and I got thinking about the old bike again and found this place.

I will be looking to get it back to original condition as far as possible but it will be a runner not a shelf queen.